Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We would lie on the carpet and read the Sunday funnies.

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
The quote below started this ol' Gaffer/Geezer to maundering.

Taken from an abbreviated & boldly edited quote:
Fedora said:
I can see how eBay customers could be a pain in the.........well, how about rump?

Does this have meaning to anyone present? "Roast rump of tree dwelling elephant with Ecstasy sauce?"

The sauce required that an almost extinct porcine breed; the Hammus Alabamus be reduced to one flavourful drop. There lived in Dogpatch one, and as it turns out, the sole surviving member of the breed, a gilt named Salome. The pig was Abner's or Daisy Mae's pet. The plots against Salome were thwarted again and again thru the years.

In addition to the enormous popularity of his comic strip, Capp's fame stemmed from a high media profile.
He was a frequent and outspoken guest on the "Tonight" show, spanning hosts Jack Paar, Steve Allen and Johnny Carson. He authored his own newspaper column and radio show and was a guest lecturer at campuses nationwide. Capp retired the strip in 1977 and died two years later. Capp's "Li'l Abner" stands the test of time as a pinnacle of cartoon art and social satire. He was of conservative bent in his opinions. I've a vague recollection of Capp's involvement in some sort of sexual scandal with a young person. His reputation has weathered the storm... :arated:

J.B.

Practically Family
Remember these guys???.....

shmoo9av.jpg

I My Shmoo (and it 's it!)
I My Wife
I My Cat

Lost Horizon

New in Town
Re: Roast Rump of Tree Dwelling Elephant

I remember this due to a paperback book of Li'l Abner cartoons we had when I was growing up. (I did see the comic strip for a while, but its run ended when I was pretty young. I'm sure most of the satire was lost on me.)

One of the stories was about a man named Bounder J. Roundheels who was intent on joining a very exclusive gourmand club at any cost. His plan was to kidnap Salomey and create the "ecstasy sauce" by boiling her down to "one delicious drop". In the end, since the pig had been rescued, he had to use the only other item possible for the sauce: a portly, juicy human, namely, himself! (He was awarded posthumous membership.)

I re-read this book several times. The stories were always entertaining. There was Zoot-Suit Yokum, the Sadie Hawkins day narrow escape, and a character called "It Haint Necessarily Moe". (And of course, Fearless Fosdick.)

I'm glad someone else remembers this.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Welcome. Lost Heels...

I used to read the funnies EVERY day when I was kid in the 50s and 60s. Never missed a day. Lil' Abner was one of my favorites. BTW, the 56th Fighter Squadron in WWII (Zemke, Schilling, et. al.) had Al Capp send them some Dogpatch drawings and several of them painted the art on the noses of their jugs (P-47 Thunderbolts). Schilling chose Hairless Joe. -- Fred H.

p47schillingSM.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy