Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weapon of John Steed

JerseyJones

Vendor
gandydancer said:
A cane by itself can be a wicked weapon. No real need for a sword in it. And a slight limp will always explain why you are carrying it.

Very true Gandydancer. And you also are correct Mycroft, there is a ninjutsu fighting system that employs a 3 foot can called a Hanbo. The best thing about it is that it focuses on basic movement of the body, nothing too flashy. I have done some of it and had it done to me by experts in my own ninjutsu training. It's extraordinary. You can search for books by Massaki Hatsumi and Stephen Hayes to learn LOTS more about it.

Peace
Ken

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Very true almost anything can be used as a weapon. The nunchuks, tonfa and other such weapons came from tools used in the field when farmers were outlawed from carrying a sword. Plus, the pen is mightier than the sword, like when stuck into the foramen magnum.
Ken, this 3 foot can of which you speak, is it tin or aluminum?

The Wolf

zeus36

A-List Customer
Cold Steel makes a cane called the "City Stick" . The black shaft is made out of eleven layers of fiberglass and pretty much unbreakable. It's topped with a mirror polished solid ball made of 300 series stainless steel that's highly resistant to rusting. Reminds me of a refined medieval mace.

They also produce a walking stick out of solid ash. Less elegant, but it fits any non-formal situation. I have an unmarked, earlier one of these I bought for my old west attire. It goes right thru the scanner at the airports.

City stick:

Walkabout:

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
Worth remembering, in many regions there are legal limits on the size of blade you can carry - and any manner of sword exceeds those limits. Alas, I shall have to leave my cutlass at home *sniff*

Raindog

One of the Regulars
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum, and have been reading the archives with interest.
I'm in the Uk, where everything except breathing is illegal.
Being a 'weapons buff' I made a sword umbrella. Very easy. Buy a gents umbrella with the metal spike on the end, remove the handle, you should find that the tube of the umbrella is hollow all the way to the end of the spike.
Now buy a fencing sword (foil or epee), cut off the knob on the end of the blade, sharpen to taste, cut off the handle of the sword to fit the umbrellas length, affix the umbrella handle and insert and glue. Various ways are possible of fixing the sword so that it won't fall out of the brolly. I took the simple route and simply taped it to the umbrella using black electrical tape. I don't take it out (to do so is illegal), but if I wanted to use it I'd simply pull the sword from the umbrella, snapping the tape, and fight off my foes.
I managed to get a nice old umbrella handle from an antique shop. It has a silver plaque on with 'Presented to Mark Carine Esq, 1920'. I got a new gents brolly and did the above conversion. Looks nice and traditional, and is pretty lethal:)
Of course, if it's illegal to carry one you should only make it for 'home decorative use'.....

Jeff.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Walking stick

Guys,

This is a shelalagh - what every Irish country lad used to carry as a walking aid and personal item. They are usually blackthorn - a very strong, dense wood that is hard to break. This is a restored 19th Century example. It's surprisingly heavy and can come in handy when the bars close in Summerhill.

As the old song says,
With me shelalagh under me arm
And a twinkle in me eye,
I'll be off to Tipperary in the morning

Well, this could help you get there safely.

37946d78.jpg

Alan

SHERLOCKWATSON

New in Town
Sword Umbrella

Hi Jeff,
Your sword umbrella idea is very interesting. I would like to make one. How do you remove the handle without breaking it? When the sword is removed, does it make a metallic sound? How do you secure the fencing sword to the handle? I'm writing a play about Sherlock Holmes and thinking of using this idea as a prop. There are commercial sword umbrellas for $50 to $350, but your idea sounds best. My website - www.seventeensteps.com - has some glitches to it in Firefox. - D. W.Toronto

carter

I'll Lock Up
From another thread

Sounds like I had the right idea for a superhero. :)

I'm inspired by our friends in the UK.
I'd be known as Tweedman. I'd wear a three-piece heathered brown herringbone suit with appropriate accessories, balmoral boots, a bowler, and a Burberry Trenchcoat. I'd carry an umberella on inclement days and a blackthorn walking stick the rest of the time.

I'd have rather more pockets than normal and they'd all be cleverly concealed by my tailor. These would be the repositories for my gadgets and various potions. My umbrella and walking stick would, of course, double as sword canes as well as having hidden compartments in their handles.

My super power? I would be disarmingly suave and able to lull any villain into a false sense of security. If that did not have the desired result, then I'd fall back on reading the financial times aloud until they passed out from sheer boredom. In a pinch, I'd resort to gadgets and potions, but it would seldom come to that.

My vehicle would be a Morris Minor Traveller.

My favorite meal would be bangers and mash.

My favorite beverage would be Smithwick's Pale Ale on draught.

My favorite castle would be in Ireland. Blarney of course.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
for more practical info on using a cane as a means of defense check out http://www.canemasters.com/ i actually was made aware of them by a tom clancy novel in which an assassin uses one of their canes. i have one of their canes made from solid hickory and even bought one of their blanks and made a cane for my father.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner