Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weapon of John Steed

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I think Mr. Steed's had a bamboo handle.
Unfortunately, like Ham's sword cane (ask the Doc Savage fans), they aren't legal to carry in California.

Hunting those who prey on innocents,
The Wolf

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Sword canes are not legal to sell in California. Most states, they can be sold or owned, but not carried. Cold Steel (the knife company) is headquartered in California, but their sword canes must be ordered and shipped from a location in Texas.

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
I beleive Swaine-Adeney-Briggs makes a cane with a sword in it. They also make the best umbrellas in the world:) Mind, you could probably get away with carrying such a thing - until you drew your sword. There aren't many people who are trained in swordplay these days, either.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Matt Deckard enters the room adjacent a young woman with piercing 1960's style and equaly piercing eyes.

"Quite right old beans, from what I understand, it is illegal in California to own an umbrella or cane which conceals a sword. The closest I have seen to the Umbrella that Patrick Mcnee sports in the Avengers is this wangee handled tube umbrella currently made and sold by Fox Umbrellas in Great Britain."

gents_tube_frames_3.jpg

"No sword to be had here, though it is a dead ringer for the brolly in the series.
As for the bowler hat, the best luck you will have is on Ebay as the modern day equivalent is a shadow of the former quality you see in the bowlers that were made up until the 1960's. The modern hatters from Lock and Herbert Johnson can't get the curl on the brim right."

"Ebay now... spit spot, on your way!"

zeus36

A-List Customer
Here is a plus:

You can take canes, walking sticks and umbrellas in your carry on and checked baggage on any airline, once they have been examined.

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Transportation Security Administration
Arlington, VA 22202
U.S. Department of Homeland Security Page 2 of 5
TSA- Rev. 3-11-2005 PANUZIO
Permitted and Prohibited Items
Can I take it? Carry-on and Checked

Umbrellas (allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been
inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed) YES

Walking Canes (allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been
inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed YES

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
zeus36 said:
Here is a plus:

Umbrellas (allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been
inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed) YES

Walking Canes (allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been
inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed YES

Kind of rules out having a sword in the cane, though:)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Re: Airline safety and sharp stuff-

Recently, when my Wife and I were travelling by air, a security operative made my wife dispose of her nail clippers which she had mistakenly left in her hand luggage- the operative neglected to see that my wife's hair (in a bun) was secured with two very sharp wooden skewers a la Chinese style. When we sat on the plane, I amused myself by imagining my wife doing some martial art screaming, crossing her hands behind her head, extracting the two sharp skewers from her bun(in her hair) and attacking the Stewardess and poking her eyes out. I later suggested this when the Stewardess was abrupt with the passenger in front. My wife hadn't thought about her hair security...
But seriously, what are you going to do with nail clippers?

When I was travelling back from Delhi last year, there was a Swedish gentleman in front of me at the security gate- he was trying to get through with two large Kukris and a sword in his rucksack- he hadn't even thought about them... but all three hilts/handles of the weapons were projecting from his luggage, so they weren't hard to spot.

Umbrellas? they're perfectly dangerous enough by themselves, without any concealed sharp stuff- just go out on a rainy day- people can't control those puppies.

BT.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Old_Hat said:
Um... not really. I fenced for about 5 years, a long time ago, and competed enough (foil & epee) to know I didn't like tournaments. Doesn't make me an expert by any means, but I did study the history of the art for some time.

Foil and epee fencing techniques do not USE the edge, but they are nonetheless dependent on there BEING an edge (for any relevance to real combat). The smallsword, and to a lesser degree the earlier rapier, for example, were not designed for the edge to be a major offensive feature, but it existed mostly to keep the opponent from grabbing the blade. Grabbing a razor-sharp blade that someone is trying to poke you with is not a practical defensive technique. Grabbing a cane that someone is trying to poke you with is very practical indeed.

Once grabbing the "blade" (or cane, whatever) is possible, you're out of the realm of pure western fencing technique, and you need other techniques to counter those moves. There's nothing in western fencing to counter it, because it was never needed.

I would strongly advise against trying to use fencing techniques with a cane in real life. I think you'd find yourself attempting a thrust, and instead of the expected parry and riposte, quickly find yourself being pulled into your opponent's clutches. Now, if you mean FIGHT with a cane, certainly... I'm afraid it just won't look much like fencing if it's practical.

Very true. But, I meant in a dueling style of conflict(though they do not exsit any more.)

Mycroft

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Recently, when my Wife and I were travelling by air, a security operative made my wife dispose of her nail clippers which she had mistakenly left in her hand luggage- the operative neglected to see that my wife's hair (in a bun) was secured with two very sharp wooden skewers a la Chinese style. When we sat on the plane, I amused myself by imagining my wife doing some martial art screaming, crossing her hands behind her head, extracting the two sharp skewers from her bun(in her hair) and attacking the Stewardess and poking her eyes out. I later suggested this when the Stewardess was abrupt with the passenger in front. My wife hadn't thought about her hair security...
But seriously, what are you going to do with nail clippers?

When I was travelling back from Delhi last year, there was a Swedish gentleman in front of me at the security gate- he was trying to get through with two large Kukris and a sword in his rucksack- he hadn't even thought about them... but all three hilts/handles of the weapons were projecting from his luggage, so they weren't hard to spot.

Umbrellas? they're perfectly dangerous enough by themselves, without any concealed sharp stuff- just go out on a rainy day- people can't control those puppies.

BT.

About the clippers, people use them to "sabotage" the airplane suposivly, like take of the "pull here" tab on the life jacket, for a fasion accessory, its popular in Columbia, from what I here.

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
I would certainly hope that the jackets are replaced after every flight! It would be most unfortunate to find one nonfunctional when most needed, whether 'neutered' or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner