Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a Vanson CHP with belt or without

f2002q

One of the Regulars
My Vanson CHP is finally getting a bit more malleable after wearing non-stop for 2 straight weeks. I did get the Vanson soft belt, so I want to get the opinions of the community on wether it looks better with the belt or without. I kinda like it with the belt, it gives it the finished look. The better-half doesn't think so, she likes it without the belt.

Also, the belt is pretty loose in the jacket, so when I take it off, it tends to move and sometimes fall out of the jacket. Any suggestions on how to "fasten" it or keep it in place? Wearing the CHP without doing up the belt is not an option for the falling out reasons!!

Thanks

Belted CHP.jpeg
Beltless CHP.jpeg

roadking04

Practically Family
I have a love/hate relationship with belt. I love the way they look. Like you said, they kinda finish off the look of the jacket. I also love a nice snug belt when riding a motorcycle.

They are a bit cumbersome and they tend to bang into things. I always have to be careful of the buckle when shoving a jacket into a saddlebag. They always like to bang into painted parts.

The nice thing about your jacket is, the belt is removable. You can switch it up from time to time. Enjoy your CHP.

Both look great. Vanson’s soft belt is nice and comfortable. Some jackets have snaps to attach the belt to the jacket when loose. Always a nice feature.

With my Vanson, I just take the soft belt off, roll it up and stash it somewhere. It does tend to slide off due to the weight of the buckle. Perhaps fold in or loop the non-buckled end in or around the belt loop to anchor the buckled end? Probably easier and better looking to simply take it off.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I wear my CHP without the belt just because as you say it falls if you don't do it up.
If i where to leave on a bike trip with that jacket i would put the belt on, but for everyday wear i take it off.
IMO it looks good either way.

Flying Monkey

New in Town
If you tend to wear your jacket zipped up most of the time, I think the belt finishes the look, as you pointed out. If you usually wear it unzipped (as I do with my Branded chp's), I think the undone belt looks sloppy and is always in the way or falling out. The belts to mine are rolled up on top of my dresser in the back. I don't use them because of how I wear my jackets.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
My Vanson CHP is finally getting a bit more malleable after wearing non-stop for 2 straight weeks. I did get the Vanson soft belt, so I want to get the opinions of the community on wether it looks better with the belt or without. I kinda like it with the belt, it gives it the finished look. The better-half doesn't think so, she likes it without the belt.

Also, the belt is pretty loose in the jacket, so when I take it off, it tends to move and sometimes fall out of the jacket. Any suggestions on how to "fasten" it or keep it in place? Wearing the CHP without doing up the belt is not an option for the falling out reasons!!

Thanks

View attachment 368151 View attachment 368152
With the Belt looks great!

Khilij

One of the Regulars
Which do you like the look of more? If riding a motorcycle I would think the belt is preferred, but otherwise I could do without it. Ultimately, you're the one wearing the jacket so your own opinion matters most.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Good post. I’ve also struggled with belts. I would suggest that if there are no stop in between the trip, then belt on, if there are multiple stops on the way, then belt off. This method seems to work best for me so far. Pretty close to what everyone else is saying.

roadking04

Practically Family
I am sorry I don't have a pic. I am not that savvy. Legendary USA had a nice belt on their D pocket jacket they made a few years ago. Their belt had 2 "horizontal loops" on the belt in the back. These "horizontal loops" went over the vertical loops on the jacket. Looked like a nice design to solve the problem of the belt sliding out.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Vanson CHP was my first cross zip and after wearing it for a few weeks I ordered the belt to go with it. When I received the belt though, I found that I didn’t like the way it looked on me. I was getting quite comfortable with the jacket by itself but with the belt it felt a bit like a costume to me.
I think the jacket looks good either way so you and your wife are gonna have to work out a compromise together.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I'm almost the "the same" in my thougths as all others here. Being that I prefer the belt either fully in and fastened, or completely out. Not "un-done." But that's just me. Been that way ever since I started wearing cross-zips in college, which was a few too many years back now.

If on a motorcycle, I would want to consider the tank, and either take it out, or apply a small, tasteful "tank guard" that is exactly for this purpose. Like others have said, the buckle easily bangs/scratches/dents objects that are painted and highly polished rather easily.

To the OP - Very nice Vanson CHP there! Hope that just keeps breaking in well for you.

Last edited:

f2002q

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for the comments. I'm not giving up on the belt just yet. I kinda like the terminator style, with the buckle and belt are hanging loose, unfortunately this buckle is anything but lightweight. I can see it banging on the gas tank and car door and just about anything else if left hanging. The Schott 118 has a snap for the buckle but I'm not sure if I want to modify this CHP for that.

The other jacket that has a belt with "keepers" is the Bates Terminator jacket. I don't know, but for that price, I'll buy a LW Speed Demon and another Vanson CHP!!! I tried to find the Legendary USA belt but nothing on their website. It would be easier to modify the Vanson belt to add keepers at the back.

Another option is to put snaps on the Vanson belt loop in the front and one on the belt. The loops are only sewn horizontally, so it could be done, specially with a small snap.

I think for now I'll wear it belt-less. It needs more breaking in since I'm still getting the Vanson Chokehold when I sit down. I'm thinking of taking a baseball glove mallet and beating this thing !!!

Last edited:
A few long rides on the bike, maybe some rain, and that jacket will be good to go.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I love the look of the belt, both with the jacket zipped and unzipped. However, the last time I wore a crosszip with the belt, I still had my Schott 618. The thing I dislike about belts on most crosszip jackets is the fact that they hang loose around the jacket. The Perfecto doesn't have this issue, as the belt is attached to the jacket. A crosszip without the belt also looks more casual, IMO.

Either way, great CHP you got there. Keep wearing it like it owes you money and it'll end up looking & feeling incredible!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think for now I'll wear it belt-less. It needs more breaking in since I'm still getting the Vanson Chokehold when I sit down. I'm thinking of taking a baseball glove mallet and beating this thing !!!
Soak the hell out of the jacket (hold it under the shower for instance) and then put it on and wear it until dry. Do this a few times in a row and the chokehold should be broken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21