Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing vintage at home.

Murphy

New in Town
Good evening fellow loungers,

A thought occured to me, there is a thread on wearing vintage to work and wearing vintage out to events. Now that is those two dealt with I cannot find a thread about wearing vintage around the house. So, here is a question. Do you wear vintage during the day or in the evening round the house? If so, how do you dress?.

I will admit I do not I tend to wear jeans and a t-shirt or a shirt when I am around the house. having said that I am only just getting into vintage clothing and still have a lot of learning to do.;

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
My everyday wardrobe is a mix and match of vintage and contemporary. I usually don't wear all vintage because I believe that looks to much like a costume. But that's just me, others may not agree.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I grew up on a farm, so I always change when I come home into "farm clothes." The definition of being farm clothes is something that is too worn to wear in public but too good to make into rags. It takes years of wear to get into that state, and I am very careful with my actual vintage to make sure it doesn't end up there. The few vintage pieces I have that are not good enough to wear out I preserve rather than damage further. However, things I've made or nice things that get worn out eventually end up in farm clothes, where they stay for several years before they are completely destroyed.

St. Louis

Practically Family
Summer: cotton vintage dresses, vintage-repro sandals or white keds with bobby socks.

Winter evenings: a pink chenille bathrobe (from a 1940s pattern).

Drappa

One Too Many
I wear vintage or repro dresses and skirts at home. If it's late and I won't be going out again I change into pyjamas, usually modern.
I actually find jeans incredibly uncomfortable, so wouldn't wear them, especially not at home.

Edward

Bartender
Most of my wardrobe, due to availability (of clothing and budget) is either reproduction or modern "close to vintage" cut. I don't think I possess or wear anything that would, appropriate social context applied with, particularly stand out that much any time prior to about 1956. Well.... the repro Westwood Anarchy & God Save the Queen shirts might.... and that one pair of bondage trousers.... but they're not regular wear..... ;-)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I wear vintage or repro dresses and skirts at home. If it's late and I won't be going out again I change into pyjamas, usually modern.
I actually find jeans incredibly uncomfortable, so wouldn't wear them, especially not at home.

Same here. The pair of pants hasn't been made that fits me comfortably, and denim, especially, feels one step up from burlap against my skin.

When I'm up and dressed, 99 percent of the time it's home-made cotton dresses. I have a number of vintage suits that I wear for occasions calling for them, but for everyday it's the homemade stuff. If I'm just working around the house, I have simple button-all-the-way-down-the-front housedresses, and for work at the theatre, they're a bit more formal in design.

When I'm getting ready for bed I have a terrifying old maroon corduroy bathrobe worn completely smooth at the elbows and seat, and covered with bacon-grease stains and cat-snags. It's impossible to get more vintage than that.

Burton

One of the Regulars
It's safari wear for me no matter where I am and the few weeks out of the year I am at my home in Texas is no different. I will admit though that not all my safari wear is truly vintage as I prefer the nylon (and quick drying) shorts. At home I will also at times wear a smoking jacket and a British smoking cap.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
My wardrobe is handmade from vintage patterns. Up until a month ago, I had been a stay-at-home mom for 13 years. My "at home" wardrobe was my only wardrobe. I think women have it easier. A cotton housedress is comfortable, durable and machine-washable. Now that I have a part time job, I usually change when I get home.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
At home, if I'm not going anywhere and I'm not expecting anyone, it's usually pyjamas. I see no point in wasting perfectly clean clothes when I won't be using them for any practical purpose.

Edward

Bartender
My wardrobe is handmade from vintage patterns. Up until a month ago, I had been a stay-at-home mom for 13 years. My "at home" wardrobe was my only wardrobe. I think women have it easier. A cotton housedress is comfortable, durable and machine-washable. Now that I have a part time job, I usually change when I get home.

There is definitely much more repro available for women. Not sure entirely why, as I don't get the impression there are more women than men into vintage - though that said there are probably more "non-vintage" customers for the likes of a VoH dress than for a forties cut suit, and given that a dress can be produced more cheaply than a suit, the repeat custom market is probably higher....

Honestly, there are times I'm tempted just to go drag full time....

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Good evening fellow loungers,

A thought occured to me, there is a thread on wearing vintage to work and wearing vintage out to events. Now that is those two dealt with I cannot find a thread about wearing vintage around the house. So, here is a question. Do you wear vintage during the day or in the evening round the house? If so, how do you dress?.

I will admit I do not I tend to wear jeans and a t-shirt or a shirt when I am around the house. having said that I am only just getting into vintage clothing and still have a lot of learning to do.;

I don't own any actual vintage clothing, but most of my wardrobe is vintage inspired, and I generally wear my suits/sport coats/waistcoats etc. every day except when it's so extremely hot as to prevent it (don't own that elusive linen suit yet) or when I plan to do messy jobs around the house like cut the grass, wash the car, etc. and don't want to ruin my nice clothes. :D

Personally, I feel more comfortable and at ease wearing a pair of nice trousers, braces, waistcoat, shirt and tie than I do in jeans and a tee shirt.

Weston

A-List Customer
My wardrobe is vintage inspired but not vintage itself. Khakis and short sleeved linen/cotton collared shirts (think 50's dad wear) most of the time. Timeless shirts - light blue, dark blue, red gingham from Brooks Brothers, etc. Khakis for most of the time, then woolen dress pants for business. I have one pair of jeans that I can use for labor. Still looking for the right heather gray sweatshirt to pair with them.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
My wardrobe at home is largely classic/vintage inspired. Except this summer. I went really casual, shorts and t shirts, this summer. Maybe because it was so hot, maybe because I am not employed and not in school. Also, when I have been heading out to things, they are modeling calls, and require me to wear jeans and a tshirt (or pants and a tshirt, but very casual). As the weather cools down, I am going to be getting more back into my usual, although now I am incorporating workwear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran