Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

web rip offs?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Daisy - there's no vintage shopping around here, all my shopping is done on ebay lately!

I haven't had the same problems as most of you with ebay. Generally, in my experience, the prices have ALWAYS been high. I bid low and I still win plenty. If the price gets beyond my range (like I said, about $40) then I don't buy it. [huh] As you can imagine, a LOT get away!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
the trick with ebay is to keep looking... and looking... and looking..... you'lll eventually find something perfect, usually listed by someone who has poorly listed it or doesn't know its worth. like the pair of bakelite dice earrings Miss Bella Hell got for $14 - and those often go for upwards of $50. it's about refining your searching skills and, to a certain extent, getting lucky.

Elaina

One Too Many
Too true. One of the few items I got was a puzzle box (it's an 1880's sewing box with attachements) that go for over $40. I looked for a year before I found one, and got it for $7, WITH all the attachments, and in pristine condition, because the guy listed it as a "dovetail box with mom's junk".

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
that price, but she hasn't gotten much new stock in lately. Bobby's, the other store I frequent (to you Boston ladies, I am so psyched to have Bobby's cell phone number, anyone want to get lost in the warehouse with me?) is quite expensive, but it seems that the more you shop at his store, the less expensive things become. But, I get excited when something from him is under $100, I walk away feeling like I got the deal of the century. His stuff is mostly all in great condition, a lot of deadstock, and he has a 20 thousand square foot warehouse full of it. It's heaven ladies.

i have not been to the warehouse yet and have desperately been wanting to go!!!

and yes, with Bobby's, stuff gets less expensive the more you shop with him. he knows who his loyal customers are, and those are the people that bring new people to the shop, and he values those customers and tries to keep them happy. and the more you're buying from him at once, the more he'll take off your total. he usually charges $5 for FF stockings, and at one point i bought so many from him at once that i pretty much got them for $3/pair.

LizzieMaine said:
Everything on eBay tends to go in cycles, and I think vintage clothing is no exception -- right now the trend is for the prices to go up up up, and this is causing more and more material to be listed at higher and higher prices.

also ladies, keep in mind that VLV is coming up, and prices on vintage (esp 40s and 50s) always go WAY up in the months before that. prices on this stuff will go back down again after Viva is over!

---
i only recently started buying and selling lots of stuff on ebay, mostly when i realized that i had some fancy footed FF stockings i could sell for a killing. then i realized that i could occasionally find beautiful slips, bullet bras or foundation garments at a discount. now it's shoes, handbags and petticoats. that said, you might find one really nice, inexpensive item for every few thousand or so that you look at. just keep looking and don't shell out big bucks unless the item is perfect and you can't live without it. because, seriously, something better will almost always come along at a much better price!

p.s. the most i've ever paid for a vintage dress is $55 (most of my stuff is 50s, btw)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, those earrings were a steal! I also purchased one of the ubiquitous and ever-popular Jantzen vintage leopard bathing suits for $9.99 because it was listed badly. Around now, Viva time, they go for over $100.

Oh, and Daisy and KittyT - nyah nyah, I've been to the warehouse!

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
Excellent points in this thread!

I don't have much to add except that, like many of you who aren't in major centres, if I didn't have online vintage shopping, I would have a tiny vintage wardrobe. I give thanks for the one local store that started up a couple years ago that actually has pre-1970s clothing - but their selection is pretty limited and their prices are wild. Sometimes I get fantastic deals (and it certainly can pay to be loyal!), sometimes they are terribly inflated - especially because they just don't keep their clothing in good condition (which drives me crazy!).

I agree with KittyT - I was also going to say that VLV may have something to do with the current price spike on ebay, though the trend overall is no doubt to climbing prices.

Jen

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
also ladies, keep in mind that VLV is coming up, and prices on vintage (esp 40s and 50s) always go WAY up in the months before that. prices on this stuff will go back down again after Viva is over!

GOOD POINT, i know that.. why did i not think of that.
ARGH VLV is on EVERY SINGLE auction i look at.
i want it to be over just so i can stop hearing about viva.. :eusa_doh: :)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Amy Jeanne said:
I go into The Salvation Army and Goodwill a lot. I've found AMAZING things there for really cheap! I found a 50s jacket with real fur trim for $10!!! I also got myself a 50s leopard print jacket for the same price. A very similar jacket was in an antique shop for $200. I've bought myself lots of gowns and coats from the 40s to the 60s. It amazes me what people have thrown away! My gain!! :)

I've DEFINITELY gotten lucky at thrift stores! Usually not in LA ones though, they've been pretty picked over. However back up north, I've gotten a few cute 50's beaded cardigans (the types that usually sell for over $50 in vintage shops!), and though they aren't top of the line condition, they are good for casual wear.

I also scored an AMAZING burnt orange wool pleated skirt from the 40's that looks like it has never been worn. No need to press it either, the pleats are perfect. It's only the color that's bugging me, I have nothing to wear with orange! I'm sure I'll find something though.

Anyway, thrift stores can definitely be amazing if you're patient and diligent! And once you start going regularly you get a 6th sense for sniffing out the vintage too.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
exquisitebones said:
ARGH VLV is on EVERY SINGLE auction i look at.
i want it to be over just so i can stop hearing about viva.. :eusa_doh: :)

AMEN. The hysteria that descends on the Bay because of it, and the amount of ridiculous bidding wars it causes is a -little- bit insane. :rolleyes: Thank goodness it's a once a year deal. You've got to count the small blessings. :p

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
I've DEFINITELY gotten lucky at thrift stores! Usually not in LA ones though, they've been pretty picked over.

...Anyway, thrift stores can definitely be amazing if you're patient and diligent! And once you start going regularly you get a 6th sense for sniffing out the vintage too.

Lucky me -- no one in this town cares about vintage but me! And the Salvation Army, which is slightly "skankier" than the Goodwill, has the cream of the crop for really OLD clothes! I have my pick and it's all so cheap.

There's also a LOT of "God's Thrift" type shops around here. Again, if I get the vibe that the place is kinda dirty I know I'm going to find spectacular things. And I'm always right.

The Goodwill is always very tidy. I rarely find anything good there, but I don't give up hope. Afterall, I found that fur-trimmed 50s jacket for 10 bucks there!

Etienne

A-List Customer
I confess to being one of those who gives away my clothes to thrift shops! While I love the thrill of the hunt when buying things, I have never bothered to try to resell my things when I no longer want them. I guess I just get impatient to move them along and I like to think that other vintage buyers will be excited when they discover them in the thrift store! Probably stupid on my part, but...:)

Mojito

One Too Many
Viviene said:
I hope no one takes offense to what I said. After all, I am a customer as well as a retail seller. I buy for myself and since I'm a plus size gal I pay more for my things because there aren't as many out there.
Not at all Viviene - I understood and agree with your point. I sometimes buy from a dealer couple based in Melbourne, and am aware that there's an inevitable mark-up on their items. After all, they've had to source them - not something particularly easy to do down here. They make buying trips to Europe several times a year and travel around the country doing shows...bearing in mind that Australia is as big as the US, and they cover most of it. That's a lot of time and travelling.

All that considered, their prices are very reasonable, and I'm usually willing to pay them.

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
Hi,
I'm also an online seller. My target customer is the gal who wants affordable vintage to work into her regular wardrobe. I try to keep my prices reasonable, while still giving me a profit to earn a living. The markup depends on the style, size, condition and rarity of an item. My stock doesn't come from thirfts, so I may pay more for some items.
On the other hand, I also buy vintage for my own wardrobe. And I'll admit it, I'm pretty cheap when it comes to buying for myself. There are still good buys on ebay, from good reliable sellers. Like Vivienne said, it takes patience, and research. I've been dispointed in purchases on ebay froms sellers who don't have much vintage sales experience. My advice for buying on ebay, would be to stick to sellers who sell mostly vintage clothing and appear to have some good knowledge, ask questions if you have any doubts on the size and condition, and check out their feedback. There are still alot of good, honest sellers out there on ebay and online.

Carol

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I have pretty much given up on "the bay" mainly because I can't afford to compete with people who seem to have a lot more money to spend than I do, plus the fact that I can't afford to shoulder the cost of countless items turning up that don't fit, have faults or that simply don't suit me.

I don't think that any of us can change the fact that the vintage market has pretty much exploded over the last couple of years. Neither do I think that we can hold sellers soley responsible for the sometimes inflated price tags attached to vintage pieces.

My take on this is the same as it is with all retail, it is the customer that sets the market value and the standard of the goods that they are paying for. I mean if we all decided that none of us was prepared to pay more than $10 for an early 40's day dress then it would have a pretty sharp inpact on the online market.
But that's not likely to happen, nor is it feasible, as things will continue to be worth what someone is willing to pay for them. We are all different and some of us want things a lot more than others, some of us rich and some of us aren't so it's always going to be something of a pitched battle.

I think the best weapon in the "vintage shopper's" arsenal is good old common sense. Maybe we could come up with a manifesto here?
My point number one on the list would be
Will I really wear it more than once?

Any one else have any points for the list?

Viviene

Vendor
Eve,

I think you've hit it on the head. "Will I wear it more than once?" It's the reason I've changed my attitude about what I stock in my store. Day dresses are something you can wear over and over again and were meant to be worn in that way.

A day dress is exactly what I purchased for myself to wear for my daughter's communion. Not only can I wear it for that special occasion but I can wear it many more times in the future. You can always dress up a day dress with a string of pearls, earrings, shoes, hat, etc.

And Carol is right about finding things on Ebay or any other venue. It takes diligence and you have to ask the seller questions if you have concerns. An informed customer is my best friend. If someone won't answer your questions or concerns it's time to move to another auction.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I think that it's all about making the right choices like you say Viviene. It's the same no matter what you are shopping for,......informed decision making all along the way!!

I suppose the additional hurdle to vintage buying is that you need to make sure that you know a bit more detail about what you are buying. By all means, as you say, ask the vendor questions but a bit of homework on your own part helps things along too.

It's a really tricky one as of course we'd all like to have the perfect online shopping experience everytime, but everyone's expectations are different. This is where I think a little research can be a very good thing.

At the end of the day no-one actually forces any of us to buy anything so it is up to us to ask the right questions, apply a bit of judgement and be realistic and it's up to the sellers to be honest, lucid and fair.
As for auction sites then we can only "blame" other ebayers really for the exorbitant prices that vintage can be known to fetch. Of course a seller is going to list an item at a price that reflects it's current market value and if 10 of "us" bought the last 10 of them for $400 each then they are not likely to list their one for much below that.
It's that old "supply and demand" thing.....

It's definitely worthwhile looking around at other sites, like the ladies say here, and it takes time and determination to root out those hard to find bargains!

Leaves me high and dry though as I got priced out of the market a long while back.lol lol

Speaking of exhorbitant prices you gals should come and check out some of the TRULY OUTRAGEOUS prices on vintage here in London!!!lol

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
This a tricky one...

I do agree that some retailers of vintage clothing sell it at the most LUDICROUS high price.I am a collector and seller of vintage clothing mainly on ebay....I only started recently selling and quite by accident. I decided to put lots of my vintage stuff on the bay (have been collecting for 15 years since i was a kid )...and started it off cheaply....lots went at bargain prices 20$ and under...but a few pieces went through the roof. i then started to experiment and to do research....i want to earn a living out of it...

To price an item i obviously have to mark it up to cover my costs...but i also look at it and think....If i really loved this dress what is the maximum i would pay for it? For example at the moment i have a 50's prom dress in near flawless conditon by Blanes of London (very sought after)...in london or in a vintage shop this would easily be priced between 100 and 200 pounds ( the latter especially in London)....so i have started it out at 70 pounds which is a lot...but if i were going to a prom i would pay this for a dress.

.......I also feel that vintage clothing is a good investment...as it is antique and if well looked after you can always sell it on and get your money back or more! I prefer to have a few very loved and cherished pieces that are the real mcoy ,that i get a lot of wear out of than...cheap high street copies. These pieces may have a high price tag or they may be something i got for 10p at a jumble sale. You do have to search but vintage stuff is out there...My friends hate coming shopping with me as i seem to have vintage radar, i sniff it out!!!! My partner uses the term "pattern recognition"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL