Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weekend duffel

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Have a wheeled carryon with that plastic exterior and I have a large suitcase. Have a backpack that I can use if I go for an overnight, but say from a Thursday night to Sunday trip, with maybe a nice change for Saturday, need something bigger. Since it would be by car, I am thinking that a duffel bag in canvas, waxed canvas or that ballistic polyester is the way to go. Dont know much and thought some people might have experience

LL Bean has their polyester ones that come in many colers and can be monogrammed. About $60, but so so review
Herschel has a couple around $80. Canvas
Everlane has one, a bit pricer at $135
Beckel bags are relatively cheap, canvas, at $72

I am thinking that a bag that can carry one pair of shoes, maybe two, three or four pants, 4 shirts, socks, underwear, sunglasses, t shirts and a dopp kit. About 2400 cubic inches is the medium size

I know Filson would be great but Im not looking for high dollar as w are talking maybe usage 4, 5 times a year. I have the wheeled carryon for an airplane and a larger suitcase for longer trips, but this is something that I might use to just pack and go for a weekend .

IXL

One Too Many
I use load-out gear from Black Hawk. It comes in a good variety of sizes, is quite durable, and has a low-key appearance.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You might want to take a look at Gustin Jeans. They make a very nice-looking canvas and leather bag that's reasonably priced.

nihil

One of the Regulars
Check ebay. I've got a small weekend duffel/gym bag that I paid around 40$, including shipping (from China I think). It's excellent quality despite the low price. Use the search phrase 'canvas duffel' or holdall, gym bag, weekender, etc. From my experience the important search word to include is 'canvas' as it'll get you the vintage style bags.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Memphis, I recommend the Duffel bag from Frost River:
https://www.frostriver.com/shop/explorer-duffel-bag/

It's a very durable waxed cotton. I've been using mine for several years - no ripped seams, no problems with rain or anything. I got the larger one. PM me if you want to see pics of the bag worn in. The "scratches" on the canvas that you see in the photos on the website are exaggerated. In reality, the scratches on the wax blend in.
The length and softness of the handle is perfect for carrying the bag over the shoulder.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Frost River. They make a "narrow" gladstone-ish bag. Get the larger one, the smaller is pretty limited. Duffles are also good but, because of their width, you have to strain to carry them further from your body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21