Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight distribution of leather jackets

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I only have 2 Aeros an A-2 and an ANJ-4. The A-2 is pretty light weight (not CXL) and I have never worn my ANJ-4 other thatn trying it on at home (local tropic weather and too bulky to bring on a trip). I have had no weight distribution problem with my Aeros.
Off topic- I just wonder how your jackets can range from size 40 to size 46, especially the size 46 LW J-23. My experience does show that LW sizing is all over the place. My LW A-2 tag size 34 is more like a size 38 but then I did buy my LW A-2 from the sale page so it may be reject/return due to incorrect size tag. My LW Ryder is from Japan and that may be why it fits small for a size 36. But my size 38 LW J-23 is definitely not over/undersized. It is a true western size 38 hence I had to sell it.
About Aero military patterns. I had an A1 it didn't jive with my body and I ended up with the civilian version Aeromarine instead. That pattern is very good, the Aeromarine. A1 not so great.

About LW J24 size 46. I got this used here in the Classifieds. The P2P is only about 23.5" wide. It's vintage sizing. It has same P2P as my size 40 Aero Daytona (J106). The LW J24 in size 46 has an inch lower armhole than the Aero in size 40 despite all other measurements are about the same. So it does feel roomier. This could by why your LW felt big, Especially when compared to Rainbow Country / Langlizt / Johnson who all have even higher armholes than Aero. So armhole wise, Aero is really in the middle of the pack.

Aero Size 40 Daytona:
shoulder 20” ish/P2P 23” ish/arm hole height medium 12” ish
748C30C4-D5ED-4378-9025-A007B2668DC7.jpeg

LW J24 size 46
shoulder 20” ish/P2P 23” ish / arm hole height low 13”
1AD9D835-BB77-4598-A6A1-490A3FDB027E.jpeg

Johnson M500 size 40
shoulder 20” ish / P2P 23” ish / arm hole height high 11”
9FF29C9D-74FF-461C-B642-82C398C85C87.jpeg

Personally I like both extreme ends, high and low armholes. The middle Aero feels a bit blend (too normal). The difference maker is the back of neck width, Johnson is the widest, then LW then Aero. And I think this is why people report that they feel the neck thing. I agree with that but it’s just an extra inch of leather, not the actual weight of the jacket, that still rest mostly on the shoulders. Vintage sizing is confusing. I’m size 42 in Rainbows and Rainbow is TTS. Size 42 in Rainbow is actually 0.25 size smaller than these above. Their scaling runs more precise at 0.75” per size up down where as these other brands Aero included scale at 1” increment.

Vanson E is same pattern as LW but LW is the way better jacket.
Langlitz Cascade is the same pattern as Johnson but I’m biased here so I’ll leave it at that.

Aero is really the middle child here in terms of pattern.

all very good kids.

not to derail the original thread but perhaps the measurements helps to show their similarities than differences. Giving the middle child some spot light…

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
About Aero military patterns. I had an A1 it didn't jive with my body and I ended up with the civilian version Aeromarine instead. That pattern is very good, the Aeromarine. A1 not so great.

About LW J24 size 46. I got this used here in the Classifieds. The P2P is only about 23.5" wide. It's vintage sizing. It has same P2P as my size 40 Aero Daytona (J106). The LW J24 in size 46 has an inch lower armhole than the Aero in size 40 despite all other measurements are about the same. So it does feel roomier. This could by why your LW felt big, Especially when compared to Rainbow Country / Langlizt / Johnson who all have even higher armholes than Aero. So armhole wise, Aero is really in the middle of the pack.

Aero Size 40 Daytona:
View attachment 455672

LW J24 size 46
View attachment 455673

Johnson M500 size 40
View attachment 455674

Personally I like both extreme ends, high and low armholes. The middle Aero feels a bit blend (too normal). The difference maker is the back of neck width, Johnson is the widest, then LW then Aero. And I think this is why people report that they feel the neck thing. I agree with that but it’s just an extra inch of leather, not the actual weight of the jacket, that still rest mostly on the shoulders. Vintage sizing is confusing. I’m size 42 in Rainbows and Rainbow is TTS. Size 42 in Rainbow is actually 0.25 size smaller than these above. Their scaling runs more precise at 0.75” per size up down where as these other brands Aero included scale at 1” increment.

Langlitz Cascade is the same pattern as Johnson but I’m biased here so I’ll leave it at that.

all very good kids.

not to derail the original thread but perhaps the measurements helps to show their similarities than differences. Giving the middle child some spot light…
I have a good sample of Aeros now and other brands to compare against - I would say this is not a problem on almost all my Aeros but there is a mild issue with both the cafe racer and board racer, where you can definitely feel the collar pushing the back of the neck a little. It is nothing major though and I wear both jackets regularly - the ne thing I have noticed over time is this issue has actually lessened due to combination of breaking in and also working out more - the latter is interesting here because as I have added more muscle in my shoulder and upper back area these two jackets seem to sit further back and the neck issue has almost vanished. So I think it is a combo of the pattern, with these two being most prone to it (no issue at all with my Wayfarers, Hercules, M422a, A1, Hooch Haulers, slimft MC, Premier Highwayman, 30s halfbelt) and posture/bodyform. I do find Aero to generally be a v good fit for me and most I wear just over a tshirt (50s patterns for layering) and I have a mix of OTR and custom.

The overall best patterns are Lewis Leathers I find - they can be like a second skin yet without restricted movement and are amazing in this regard. I place them at the very top, above Thedi, Field Leathers, Aero, Vanson. Of the four latter makers I think Vanson also have great patterns, though I only have their Mercury jacket, but still not on a par with LL. Thedi are also v good. Aero and FL are generally on the same level in terms of fit, though the construction and detailing of of FL is really spot on. Intriguingly my first FL, a Manhattan, had this same neck issue as with the Cafe racer and Board racer - presumably a legacy of Greg's time at Aero - I told him about it and he tweaked my second jacket to pretty much completely eliminate it - he also has a new pattern maker and is exploring new arm rotations etc so he seems keen on really honing the fit issues now he has the construction nailed. I have another on order with him so will be interesting to see what has changed as he has evolved his pattern cutting over time.

In summary I find Aero to be really excellent overall, with only minor niggles about 2 of their patterns in this regard - and both were alleviated after changes to my own posture and musculature over time, so it seems these patterns may just be tricky for certain cases. Most of my Aeros are on a par with my custom Thedi in terms of fit, which hopefully highlights how good they can be. Hope this helps?

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
I agree that there is no weight distribution issue on Aero jackets. I have lots of them. I also have lots of other brands.

However, Aero do cut their 50's pattern with higher neck line/smaller neck hole than their other patterns and patterns from other makers. This I believe is the culprit behind the uncomfortable neck wear. For me it's not about the weight, but the higher neck line/smaller neck hole will push against the back of the top of my neck, especially when I put my hands in my jacket pocket, pulling the jacket forward.

Aero has patterns that are as comfortable as other makers. Just not their 50s cut. I also don't have any 50s cut from other makers. So I don't know if that's a thing or not.

But I've been trying to understand this "problem" myself and started documenting different neck width for my own comparison. Here are some:

View attachment 455498
View attachment 455499
View attachment 455502
View attachment 455503
View attachment 455504
View attachment 455505
View attachment 455506
View attachment 455508

View attachment 455510
View attachment 455511
i cannot really add to the discussion as such as I’ve no Aeros. But damn I just have to say I love that padded Langlitz Cascade! Every time you post a picture of it it just looks even more awesome! if it ever starts to bother your neck and shrinks to my size let me know :)

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When it comes to the Board Racer, I believe every aspect of the original design was based around riding position on a motorbike. Including neck angle and sleeve curve. Original Buco J100 feels identical around the neck. Both jackets feel right at home when on a sport bike.
Is it because of the mandarin collar?

Aero Size 40 Daytona:
View attachment 455672

LW J24 size 46
View attachment 455673

Johnson M500 size 40
View attachment 455674

all very good kids.

So LW's sizing is indeed all over the place. My size 38 J-23 has a 40 inches plus P to P.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
High arm holes are the key. This is something I have long known from being into tailoring, but no one here talks about them much so I thought they were perhaps not significant in the same way on leather jackets.

My Aero Ridley and Schott 613SH both have high armholes for a modern garment. Not truly high ones, like on bespoke tailoring or vintage jackets.

But then lo and behold, I buy that vintage jacket off of Aero’s sale page–and due to the extremely high armhole, I have perfect range of motion despite the jacket itself being slightly too small in the body!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Aero Sheene
Size 44
Heavy black CXL SH

Purchased from Aero stock a few years ago, a ready-to-wear jacket that ticked all the right checkboxes for me. My first Sheene.

Steer breaks in a bit easier than horse, and is less stiff out of the box, but even so this was a fairly heavy jacket and took some wearing to start getting comfortable. It's very much at that point now, though, and fits and feels wonderful.

Again, the weight feels evenly distributed through the shoulders and I note no unusual pressure or sense of weight on the neck.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Aero Half-Belt Deluxe
Size 44
Heavy brown CXL FQHH, alpaca lining

I forget where I got this one from, I think ebay or someone from the forums. I had a few HB Deluxe jackets prior to this one, and this is by far the nicest of them in terms of fit, but all of them fit fairly well on me. The other two that I recall having, I've moved on, so can't evaluate for this issue now. But this jacket is super comfortable, no weight issue around the neck. It's a fairly heavy jacket, too, weighing something over 6 lbs.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Aero Sheene
Size 44
Heavy black CXL SH

Purchased from Aero stock a few years ago, a ready-to-wear jacket that ticked all the right checkboxes for me. My first Sheene.

Steer breaks in a bit easier than horse, and is less stiff out of the box, but even so this was a fairly heavy jacket and took some wearing to start getting comfortable. It's very much at that point now, though, and fits and feels wonderful.

Again, the weight feels evenly distributed through the shoulders and I note no unusual pressure or sense of weight on the neck.
What’s the weight on scale for these CXL SH single riders? 8lbs? Aero used those thick ones before from what I read up around here.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
I'm a novice seeing as how I only have one jacket and no past experience for comparison. But what people have said about Aeros hanging more on the neck than the shoulder has always rung true for me. Mine's a Hooch Hauler in CXLHH, which certainly contributes to the overall 'strain' the jacket puts on the body. But from day 1 to today (about 4 years) I've always felt more pressure on my neck than my shoulders. And recently I noticed that I can slightly raise and lower my shoulders in the jacket, without it moving at all. Clearly a sign that most of it is suspended by my neck. It would be great if there was a clear consensus about the reason for this, but obviously there isn't. On top of the pattern/neck hole/style reasons already discussed in this thread, I think there was another thread a while back where people argued that it's the result of whether the shoulders are on top of, or underneath, chest pieces at the shoulder seam.

This is my biggest problem with my Aero and the main reason I might replace it in time, if I can find another maker with a jacket I like as much as the HH, that doesn't seem to have this issue. I just wish I could try out more jackets to learn about different feels. Just not an option in northern Alberta.

Observe

Practically Family
I had an (Aero) OG Herc in tumbled CXL HH and sold it for being too short in the sleeves and the "neck hanging" effect. I got another one in goat and while it's easier wearing I still get the neck hanging feeling. Zipped up it's less noticeable but when the jacket is unzipped it's pretty annoying. I thought the lighter hide would make it less obvious but it seems not to be the case. I'm wondering if anyone has tips to help make this effect less noticeable or if I'm just screwed. I've read the forums extensively and saw getting shoulder padding put in suggested, but I would rather avoid that if possible. Not sure if some type of water treatment or conditioning or stretching would aid in comfort.

Last edited:

newtojackets

Practically Family
I had an (Aero) OG Herc in tumbled CXL HH and sold it for being too short in the sleeves and the "neck hanging" effect. I got another one in goat and while it's easier wearing I still get the neck hanging feeling. Zipped up it's less noticeable but when the jacket is unzipped it's pretty annoying. I thought the lighter hide would make it less obvious but it seems not to be the case. I'm wondering if anyone has tips to help make this effect less noticeable or if I'm just screwed. I've read the forums extensively and saw getting shoulder padding put in suggested, but I would rather avoid that if possible. Not sure if some type of water treatment or conditioning or stretching would aid in comfort.
Have you tried wearing a thick sweater?

Observe

Practically Family
Have you tried wearing a thick sweater?
No, it's been too warm for sweaters here lately, but ideally I could wear this jacket without special clothing considerations. I think maybe certain body types with a straight neck and back just don't work as well with these patterns that have the neck kinda set very forward on the top of the shoulder as opposed to more of a straight line up.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have the Herc from Aero in CXL, and the Herc from Rainbow Country. From just measuring the RC back neck width is slightly wider. And the two jackets sits differently on my back. I can’t say which one I like more or less right now I need more time to wear them and see. But I know the high neck feel from my IR. It didn’t bother me as much but I can see it to be a pet peeve. Your jacket is in goatskin so it should in theory cover any slight discomfort in the pattern because how soft it is. But it isn’t. That’s unfortunate. Can we see a 3/4 back fit pic, I think it hangs differently on different people. and the higher back yoke, that’s where the discomfort comes from? I don’t know.
2B3C5908-4905-4613-9669-BBD98E01DDD6.jpeg
A4CB20D6-42FD-4C5A-9A33-8939164E13D3.jpeg
9C53FD4A-3F49-41DA-A091-D07CD80FFF85.jpeg
C9927F4F-7D38-4237-B138-2F9E40EE808B.jpeg
D0FA21D7-7A1C-44B1-B3EF-AAD2F14978D4.jpeg

Observe

Practically Family
I have the Herc from Aero in CXL, and the Herc from Rainbow Country. From just measuring the RC back neck width is slightly wider. And the two jackets sits differently on my back. I can’t say which one I like more or less right now I need more time to wear them and see. But I know the high neck feel from my IR. It didn’t bother me as much but I can see it to be a pet peeve. Your jacket is in goatskin so it should in theory cover any slight discomfort in the pattern because how soft it is. But it isn’t. That’s unfortunate. Can we see a 3/4 back fit pic, I think it hangs differently on different people. and the higher back yoke, that’s where the discomfort comes from? I don’t know.
View attachment 459964 View attachment 459965 View attachment 459969 View attachment 459970 View attachment 459971
I don't have pictures handy nor am I in a position to take any right now, but I believe it's the shoulder slope and high back yoke digging into the back of the neck which causes the issue. I can see the difference between the two jackets of yours in that area. It's nothing new for this forum, I've seen the matter discussed in multiple threads dating back years and the consensus seems to be that it's fine for some people and a deal breaker for others. After a day of wear and an evening of nursing my sore neck, I must say I fall into the latter camp.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 459964 View attachment 459965 View attachment 459969 View attachment 459970 View attachment 459971
The brown one looks about one million times better on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB