Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

weight gain options, yes you read it right

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Back in the 1980's I worked out a lot to gain weight. I suggest that you do a lot of leg, chest and back weight lifting. Eat Protein and do at least 8 repetitions of each exercise, move up in weight when you can do three sets of 12 at a given weight. I'm sure I'll get corrected if my memory is wrong, but for size, to high repetitions, for strength, do low repetitions.

Squats are the best exercise for gaining leg strength. Bench pressing or pushups are good for you chest, and rowing exercises are the best for your back.

Hope this helps.

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
Hi

Back in the 1980's I worked out a lot to gain weight. I suggest that you do a lot of leg, chest and back weight lifting. Eat Protein and do at least 8 repetitions of each exercise, move up in weight when you can do three sets of 12 at a given weight. I'm sure I'll get corrected if my memory is wrong, but for size, to high repetitions, for strength, do low repetitions.

Squats are the best exercise for gaining leg strength. Bench pressing or pushups are good for you chest, and rowing exercises are the best for your back.

Hope this helps.

thank you so much!! :) my only worry is if i work out im worried ill lose more weight and shape and become too muscular because im so thin hahaha i want more womenly curve like i had before i got sick :( so i want to gain weight and keep it tone which the workout plan you suggested will help with that :)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
thank you so much!! :) my only worry is if i work out im worried ill lose more weight and shape and become too muscular because im so thin hahaha i want more womenly curve like i had before i got sick :( so i want to gain weight and keep it tone which the workout plan you suggested will help with that :)

Hi

Check out some of the body building sights. The thin skin and every vein showing will only work if you limit your water VERY strictly. Muscle looks good, and unless you start up on steriods, you won't look like a guy, just a girl with biceps and a great legs. Muscle weighs more (it's more dense) than fat.

later

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
Hi

Check out some of the body building sights. The thin skin and every vein showing will only work if you limit your water VERY strictly. Muscle looks good, and unless you start up on steriods, you won't look like a guy, just a girl with biceps and a great legs. Muscle weighs more (it's more dense) than fat.

later

hahaha i dont want to look too muscular at all hahaha i want to look curvy and womenly and nice biceps and great legs would be a wonderful bones! :) hahahaha :p thank you so so so much for your wonderful advice, i cant wait to give it a try! :) im goin to the gym tonight hahahaha

hugs and many thanks,
TheRitzyFlapper

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
hello everyone! :) im so happy i found this thread! :) iv always been a slim girl but i alteast had curves and a booty.... about 3 years ago allot of stuff happend in my life and as a result i got very sick and dropped allot of weight very quickly..... i went form 126lbs to a frail 100lbs... iv been slowly gaining weight back.. but not quick at all... im not only 103lbs and im very sad that i have basically lost all my curves and it happened completely out of my control :( iv tried weight gain shakes with no success.... just a crummy tummy after :( i dont have the best appetite sometimes, which i feel contributes allot to my low weight... i was wondering if anyone here had any ideas :) i want to gain healthy weight, so i dont wont to load myself if with fatty foods and carbohydrates to gain weight hahaha my goal is to just not be as thin as i am right now, i would like to have more shape like i use to have :( so if anyone has any tips that would be amazing! :)

hugs to all,
TheRitzyFlapper

Can I ask why you feel you have no appetite?

I'd recommend that you start a food diary and track how hungry you are on various days compared to what you are eating. You say that you got a sick tummy from the shakes, and it's possible that you're eating something on a regular basis that doesn't agree with you- not enough to make you sick, but enough to make you loose your appetite. Big triggers could be things you eat everyday- wheat, eggs, dairy, etc.

I'd really recommend a naturopathic doctor (someone who has an N.D. degree). They can work with you on diet, lifestyle changes, herbs, etc. that could help address your issues, and most will work with traditional M.D.s or D.O.s. I see an N.D. for my digestive issues and she is super. Given your location in California, you could look into other things as well, which you may or may not be interested in. I would recommend trying to solve your low appetite through other means first.

Believe me, you're not alone. I lost a ton of weight over a month or so this past spring, and I went down to 118 pounds (I'm 5'8"), which I haven't weighed since I was 16 or 17. It's a struggle sometimes.

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
Can I ask why you feel you have no appetite?

I'd recommend that you start a food diary and track how hungry you are on various days compared to what you are eating. You say that you got a sick tummy from the shakes, and it's possible that you're eating something on a regular basis that doesn't agree with you- not enough to make you sick, but enough to make you loose your appetite. Big triggers could be things you eat everyday- wheat, eggs, dairy, etc.

I'd really recommend a naturopathic doctor (someone who has an N.D. degree). They can work with you on diet, lifestyle changes, herbs, etc. that could help address your issues, and most will work with traditional M.D.s or D.O.s. I see an N.D. for my digestive issues and she is super. Given your location in California, you could look into other things as well, which you may or may not be interested in. I would recommend trying to solve your low appetite through other means first.

Believe me, you're not alone. I lost a ton of weight over a month or so this past spring, and I went down to 118 pounds (I'm 5'8"), which I haven't weighed since I was 16 or 17. It's a struggle sometimes.

i think allot of my appetite problems have to do with my anxiety, and sometimes i just get this feeling that is hard to describe.. like i will be hungry but when the food is placed infront of my face ill all of a sudden feel nausea.. its like just looking at it makes me feel sick but im truly hungry. iv sorta have had this problem sence i was younge, but i was at a healthy weight, but when i got really stressed about 3 years ago and i had nausea problems since when makes it extreamly hard to eat sometimes :( im on medication that helps allot and stimulates my apatite, but i still cant seem to gain weight :( we thaught i might have a slight sensitivity to milk because when i drink too much or have like a milkshake i get a tummy ache :( but im not positive on that haha :p ill definitely take your advice and see a Naturopathic Doctor, i feel i would get allot of benefit form doing that :)
im sorry to hear you are having weight loss problems yourself :( maybe we could work together to keep our weight on track :)

hugs and best wishes,
TheRitzyFlapper

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have not read this entire thread, but if you want to gain weight, you can adopt my diet. I eat anything and everything, and my favorite food groups are cheese, butter, gravy, beer, and carbs. :lol:

In all seriousness, I have a lot of digestive issues (although you'd never know it from the way I eat), and in high school and in my early 20s I was dangerously thin. As in, see-your-ribs thin. Not by choice, mostly due to various stomach issues causing nausea, effectively killing my desire to eat. Medications helped me, and I started to eat things that had more fat/carbs until I got to a more reasonable weight. I would try to choose things that were bland and wouldn't upset my stomach, but were also weight-gaining type foods - like say, macaroni and cheese. Since then, my problems have largely subsided and now I eat like there's no tomorrow. How I don't weigh 450 lbs., I have no idea.

You might also try some nutrient/sustenance shakes, like Ensure.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
i think allot of my appetite problems have to do with my anxiety, and sometimes i just get this feeling that is hard to describe.. like i will be hungry but when the food is placed infront of my face ill all of a sudden feel nausea.. its like just looking at it makes me feel sick but im truly hungry. iv sorta have had this problem sence i was younge, but i was at a healthy weight, but when i got really stressed about 3 years ago and i had nausea problems since when makes it extreamly hard to eat sometimes :( im on medication that helps allot and stimulates my apatite, but i still cant seem to gain weight :( we thaught i might have a slight sensitivity to milk because when i drink too much or have like a milkshake i get a tummy ache :( but im not positive on that haha :p ill definitely take your advice and see a Naturopathic Doctor, i feel i would get allot of benefit form doing that :)
im sorry to hear you are having weight loss problems yourself :( maybe we could work together to keep our weight on track :)

hugs and best wishes,
TheRitzyFlapper

I think an N.D. could help with anxiety issues too. They also do things like help you find meditation exercises and stuff, right now I'm working through a series of pressure points recommended to help me release some negative energy and thoughts. It might all be hooey, but it's free and if it helps me I am good with it.

I find when my stomach is upset, I'll get an anxious feeling, even though I feel relatively calm. I'm not saying that your anxiety is just related to your stomach, but it could be a huge part of it. I find one thing that really helps with that is lots of small meals and having a snack (something bland, like crackers if you tolerate them) right when I get up helps- I keep it right on the bedside table. Maybe look into how pregnant women deal with morning sickness (mainly nasuea) would give you some ideas too? I got the idea for a snack in the morning from a pregnant ladies website.

I, myself, am doing better. I think I am up to about 123 or so pounds, maybe more. I'm on vacation in a foreign country, which means I am totally relaxed and am eating non-stop. I also have several reasons why I want to eat more.

If you do the weightlifting (an excellent idea) aim for heavy weights and low reps. (Not so heavy you hurt yourself- just enough weight you can barely finish lifting the weights 8-10 times (do this 2-3 times, so you lift the weight 8 times, rest and/or do another muscle group, lift another 8 times, etc.) This lets you build muscle without expending as many calories. Too little weight is basically like doing heavy cardio, and when you're low weight, you need to conserve calories. If you eat a snack (most people try to do a mix of carbs and protein, like tuna and rice, or a good nutritional bar- I love Lara bars personally) right after you finish this will help you put on muscle too. Aim for at least the amount of calories you spent. When you weightlift, you can work harder (lower weight, longer time, more reps) or smarter (heavier weight, less time, fewer reps). Never lift weights on an empty stomach. I like to weight lift at night, so then I can relax and have a snack. I've done it in the morning, but when I lost the weight I found it make me too weak.

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
How are you a drinking things? If you are not hungry at mealtime try a smoothie or a protein shake.

Not a practical solution but moving to SE Louisiana did it for me. :D

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
everyone has been giving me such wonderful help! :) im truly thankful! :) i was wondering if you knew if ironized yeast is safe to take? i read of those vintage weight gain adds, but idk if that is safe to use of not... haha :p anyone know any info on that? :)

hugs and best wishes to all,
TheRitzyFlapper

JennieWren

Familiar Face
For my patients who need to gain weight, or who have difficulty eating for whatever reason we usually recommend a liquid dietary supplement such as Boost. When I was pregnant and throwing up so much that I was losing weight (not what you want to do when you are pregnant) I tried it (and threw it up again). It didn't taste great (in either direction), but then, nothing did when I was pregnant.
This being said, there are many people who are naturally and healthfully a slimmer build. I'm going to jump on the medical professional train here and say "Eat right and exercise" and your body should gravitate toward a weight that is, for you and your unique biological make up, the correct one, even if it is not perhaps the one that you would necessarily wish it to be. A general rule of thumb for "eat right" is that half of your plate should be vegetables, a quarter whole grains and another quarter protein in whatever form you chose to consume it. A general rule of thumb for exercise is that your heart should be above it's base rate for about 30 minutes approximately three times a week.

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
For my patients who need to gain weight, or who have difficulty eating for whatever reason we usually recommend a liquid dietary supplement such as Boost. When I was pregnant and throwing up so much that I was losing weight (not what you want to do when you are pregnant) I tried it (and threw it up again). It didn't taste great (in either direction), but then, nothing did when I was pregnant.
This being said, there are many people who are naturally and healthfully a slimmer build. I'm going to jump on the medical professional train here and say "Eat right and exercise" and your body should gravitate toward a weight that is, for you and your unique biological make up, the correct one, even if it is not perhaps the one that you would necessarily wish it to be. A general rule of thumb for "eat right" is that half of your plate should be vegetables, a quarter whole grains and another quarter protein in whatever form you chose to consume it. A general rule of thumb for exercise is that your heart should be above it's base rate for about 30 minutes approximately three times a week.

thank you so much! :) and i think you are right, i think im just naturally a slimmer build :) with my training i do it requires 2-3 hours of stretching a day, and it does get my heart rate up but im not much of a runner hahaha :) iv been feeling allot better now that i have picked up my activity allot more :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
everyone has been giving me such wonderful help! :) im truly thankful! :) i was wondering if you knew if ironized yeast is safe to take? i read of those vintage weight gain adds, but idk if that is safe to use of not... haha :p anyone know any info on that? :)

There was a huge fad for yeast-eating from the twenties thru the forties - the most common way to take it was to eat the little square cakes of moist Fleischmann's Yeast you can still find in the refrigerator case at the grocery store. The idea was that yeast was high in B vitamins, so there was a bit of real science behind it, but mostly it was a marketing scheme to sell more yeast: "Eat three cakes daily! You'll feel better, your skin will clear up, you'll have more pep!" What they don't tell you is that you'll burp constantly and will smell like a brewery.

Ironized Yeast and other similar products like Yeast Foam were simply yeast compressed into tablet form, with IY having a small amount of iron added. It wouldn't kill you, but it wouldn't give you anything you couldn't get from eating a hamburger, either.

Flicka

One Too Many
When my younger sister was little she had the strangest penchant for yeast. If you didn't watch her when we were baking she'd eat as much as she could get away with. We were always worried she'd eat too much and get sick...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112