Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight loss

Mercer

One of the Regulars
I just had to tell SOMEONE that I've lost at least 10 lbs thus far (maybe even more as of this moment) thanks to CrossFit, running a lot, and planning meals in advance. I have roughly 30 more pounds to go, but I'm thrilled that I've reached even this point!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I just had to tell SOMEONE that I've lost at least 10 lbs thus far (maybe even more as of this moment) thanks to CrossFit, running a lot, and planning meals in advance. I have roughly 30 more pounds to go, but I'm thrilled that I've reached even this point!
Congratulations! Unfortunately, weight goes up like a rocket and comes down like a feather! I got a little discouraged when I mentioned to a long time acquaintance, that I had lost 20 pounds, he snidely said, "where, in you foot." Just ignore the creaton's and keep working towards your goal.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Per Stearmen, I lost 21 pounds in six months during my last deployment (184 to 161, probably too much really). I owed that to daily treadmill visits and light weights, and, overwhelmingly responsible, portion control and junk food avoidance. BUT I have added about thirteen back, so I am working on that, as being home I no longer have the benefit of a rigid schedule and being trapped at sea!

The process was deceivingly simple:

"One pork chop is fine thanks, not the THREE you're serving". No duff (dessert to non-navy folk), no pop (not even "calorie free" - your lizard brain picks up the sweet taste, and sends out the signals to start converting the other sugars in your body into fat).

Be careful with the fillers (breads, crackers), no need to go without. Baked potatoes are fine, be diligent with the sour cream and shredded cheese! Lots of fibre from vegetables and legumes.

Common sense really. Basic exercise is 20%. Proper nutrition (not "dieting") is 80%. Other than soft drinks and candy, I cut out completely no food group. I have the occasional dessert, I enjoy beer and wine in moderation. Just no "crap"!

I have lost about three pounds of the thirteen I gained back, hope to be back to about 168 shortly (currently 174). And being a guy, it is all around the waist!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It isn't so much weight gain that I have had a problem with over the years as shrinking clothes. It's the rigours of the wash or dry cleaning that's had a marked effect on my wardrobe, everything seems to have shrunk. I'm not making this up, I have the evidence. The scarf that my wife bought me for our first Christmas together has never been cleaned, and it still fits me perfectly.

It isn't so much weight gain that I have had a problem with over the years as shrinking clothes. It's the rigours of the wash or dry cleaning that's had a marked effect on my wardrobe, everything seems to have shrunk. I'm not making this up, I have the evidence. The scarf that my wife bought me for our first Christmas together has never been cleaned, and it still fits me perfectly.

As a control for your shrinkage experiment, your scarf is admirably doing its job. That said, depending on how many years its been, you might want to give the control a break and send it off to the dry cleaners. :)

Kidding aside, clothes do shrink over time from either dry cleaning or hot dryers. I've noticed it most in the length of my chinos (which are 100% cotton, kept for years and washed and dried regularly). Over the course of those years, they go from having a break, to less of a break to no break. It's funny to see. I've learned to buy or have them tailored on the slightly long side so that I can keep wearing them through the shrinkage.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just had to tell SOMEONE that I've lost at least 10 lbs thus far

Congratulations! You have reason to be proud.
My routine of choice is to eat a grapefruit for breakfast most mornings (grapefruit are said to contain a natural appetite suppressant.)
Also Monday through Friday (quiting time) I try to live somewhat monkishly..."mostly" vegetarian/minimal meat but not religiously so, no booze, no junk food. But then I allow myself to live a little from Friday evening until Sunday evening.
Also: trying to cut back on potato consumption (if left to my own worst instincts, I could easily live on French fries.)
I mouth the words "Mediterranean diet" a lot; but also am fond of saying "I'm not on a diet, it's a lifestyle."
Admittedly I need to do more work on the exercise end of things (pretty much all I do is long walks 2 or 3 times a week.)
No one would mistake me for a my 18-year-old self, but then again I've attained a reasonable weight and have been holding it.*

* --Ahem. Came back from vacation a few weeks ago and the first words from a colleagues lips was "you've gained some weight, I see." So I'm off of vacation mode and am back into the old routine again. :cool:

I don't know really the actual knowledge in this part, but "maybe" vitamin D3 can help additional. And checking the blood-level!!

green papaya

One Too Many
lots of diet and running works but it also wears your joints, I use to run but it causes injuries from high impact, now I do more brisk walking, it also depends on your body type, if your a naturally big / husky person running will cause more wear , injuries from the impact.

I would not recommend a person over 200 lbs to do lots of running, too hard on the joints, try walking and hiking, bicycling,

most people that lose a lot of weight will gain it right back, unless you keep up the vigorous workouts, diets the rest of your life

you must keep it up or the weight all comes back, especially if you enjoy foods and like to eat like most people do.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I'm starting to think that we inherit more than we think. I physically resemble my mother and her brothers, not my father's side of the family as far as general physical shape goes, all of whom were stockier. I like to say that I've always been tall but I don't know when I got to be a large. But I don't know that at 6'1" (if I'm still that tall!) if 175 lbs. is large or not. But I believe that losing a lot of weight fairly quickly is a little dangerous, although it's not an easy thing to do. And besides, there may be no need for it. Did you ever know a football player who wanted to lose weight?

Vic_H

New in Town
I've lost 32 pounds in about five weeks on low carb. The thing works wonders... But is awful to do. But I won't argue with the results.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
most people that lose a lot of weight will gain it right back, unless you keep up the vigorous workouts, diets the rest of your life

you must keep it up or the weight all comes back, especially if you enjoy foods and like to eat like most people do.

Yup. I went from 184 to 161 to 174, now 171. I hope to maintain 168 to 170. It is mainly the waist (am I right guys???).

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Although I don't really have a weight problem--everyone here laughs when I mention my weight--I'm not so sure that weight is as important as other things. Of course, that's easy for me to say, but provided you aren't grossly overweight, which I cannot define, I think it's better to maintain a stable weight. Weight gain over the years may or may not be inevitable but it seems to happen no matter what. I suspect the main reason is that we become less active as the years roll by for several reasons. We wind up in jobs that require less physical effort, which is not necessarily a bad thing. We have less time to do anything outside of work, which is a bad thing. But eating too much is so easy to do, no matter what you are eating. It's difficult to draw any reasonable conclusion from wildlife, by the way, because some animals are only healthy when they're fat. And if you live in a cold climate, meaning anywhere north of where I live (the South begins about 20 miles south of here), you may have trouble staying warm once the snow flies if you're on the thin side.

It is equally important to stay on the move, perhaps even more important, and in this case, that's hard for me to say. I'm at a desk most all day. Staying active, and I don't mean doing calisthenics or running, just up and moving around, is probably more important for general health than losing weight.

Mercer

One of the Regulars
Please disregard my original post about having lost 10 lbs. and the more recent one about me having lost 15 lbs. Now my weight loss is at 17 lbs.!

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Afraid I’ve put on a few pounds during these last few months of working from home. Started going back to the office again recently and realized that I’m getting more exercise (thanks to the aerobics of taking public transit), that I’m back to minimalist breakfasts of grapefruit, and that lunch every day is the vegetarian dish in the cafeteria. Additionally, my alcohol intake has gone back to normal. In other words, things are getting somewhat back to normal. We are such creatures of habit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ