Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird Pocket Finds

Wobbely

New in Town
Haven't found anything good in a pocket in a while but found some old currency in an old trunk I inherited LOL Mostly centavos, pesos and yen but a few that I haven't determined what they are yet.

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Dimes must have been a big thing to carry around - back when they could actually buy something. Found a 1906 Barber dime in the pocket of a great-grandfather's white pique full-dress vest.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I just bought a summer weight officer's army tunic.

With a 20th airforce patch on the shoulder. I noticed a smaller ring of stitching inside the stitching of the patch so I removed it to find the original patch. A bonus 8th airforce patch underneath. :) ( I know, it's not as cool as finding $250!) :rolleyes:

LittleArquette

New in Town

I was in downtown Jackson a few weeks ago,and bought a nice blue,straw knit purse. Im not sure the exact time period of it,but Im guessing maybe 50's or 60's.

When I got home and started to put my things in it I opened a small zippered compartment in it and found some old movie tickets. Hid them away somewhere for safe keeping,but sadly when we had foundation work done on the house I seemed to have lost them.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I've found matches, a Mercury Dime, price tags, and used hankies in my vintage buys. Not really a pocket, but the coolest came with a hat - It's a little card that you slip into the ribbon that says "Like hell it's your hat- put it back!".

tallyho

One of the Regulars
when I was 11th birthday, my parents got me a G-1 jacket. (this was in 1980 when they were still cheap!) In the inside pocket was a peice of yellowed paper with all sorts of writing in grease pencil. It had map co-ordinates, squadron #s and call signs, take off and rendezvous times. I checked the the co-ordinates on a map and they were for east of Midway Island! the squadrons on the paper were listed as TORP 6 BLACKJACK, TORP 8 "I forgot the code name". I thought I found the jacket of one of the piolots of the famous battle. after a couple of years I figured out that my dad had played a trick on me. Anybody want to buy Midway vets G-1?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
In the suitcase...

In a beautifull leathersuitcase, which belonged to my grandfather, I found nothing! But in a compartment inside that suitcase I found one of my grandfathers dressshirt and a pair of silver cufflinks.
Imagine that suitcase had been standing on my grandmothers loft years and years after his death. It was only when she died - 20 years later - that the suitcase came out, and I decided that I would like to keep it.
I still wear the cufflinks now and again.

Snookie

Practically Family
My husband found a matchbook for the Hollywood Palladium in a jacket pocket. Note the phone number on the spine -- HOllywood 9-7356.
PalladiumMatchbook.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
found something strange in a 10 dollar thriftshop special jacket (newer civilian bomber jacket- I like it- and it's just so beat up and funky. It's got the look - you know?)

anyway- it's a nickel- but someone's soldered a convex piece of nickel coated brass onto one side. It's worn through the nickel in parts, exposing the brass (or whatever metal it is) underneath.
you can click it and it sounds sort of like a cricket.

but I have no idea what it is or why it was in my jacket.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
found something strange in a 10 dollar thriftshop special jacket (newer civilian bomber jacket- I like it- and it's just so beat up and funky. It's got the look - you know?)

anyway- it's a nickel- but someone's soldered a convex piece of nickel coated brass onto one side. It's worn through the nickel in parts, exposing the brass (or whatever metal it is) underneath.
you can click it and it sounds sort of like a cricket.

but I have no idea what it is or why it was in my jacket.

What year is the nickel?

Maybe it's an old wartime era "clicker" similar to the ones they used in Normandy.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Its kinda outta place since it has nothing to do with a pocket I got an old Tin Box for storing old Baseball cards in and found an original "orange" test cartridge for the NES "Legend of Zelda"

Apparently these were only given to the developers of it so its mighty rare. Good thing too cuz I'm a Zelda nut lol.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
well- I just figured it out. My strange nickel is nothing more than a funky old "magic squirting nickel"
you fill it with water, and push on the convex thing on the back. it squirts water out of a tiny hole I hadn't noticed until this morning.

Jay

Practically Family
Well, Dinerman, these things happen. I was found a rock in my that had leaked some sort of liquid on my bureau. It was on my mind for weeks. My nephew looked at and was stumped, my 40-year-old brother could only guess it might be something vaguely biological. Finally I feared for my life, expecting something weird to happen with it and decided to throw it out. On the way to the kitchen I stopped to ask my Dad, since no one else could figure it out. He looked at it and said without hesitation, "It's a jellybean."
I know how you feel.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Two movie ticket stubs found in the pockets of an RAAF tropical tunic dated 1943 from a cinema in Brisbane. I wonder what was showing...

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Not a pocket

I bought a cedar storage chest at a garage sale. The owner of the house was an elderly woman who had to move to a nursing home. Her children and grandchildren were running the sale. A friend and I picked the chest up to put it in his truck, and found a bundle of letters taped to the bottom. We took a look at them, and they were the letters the grandfather had sent to his wife while he was away during WW2. I gave them back to the family, and they gave me the chest for free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner