Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird Pocket Finds

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Hopefully another thread was'nt started about this, but I was inspired by the "Untiled Stuff in you Pockets Thread." What are some weird/interesting/mundane things you've discovered in the pockets of vintage garments?

jkath

New in Town
I just purchased a full length white (fox, perhaps?) fur coat. When I bought it, I didn't check the pockets, but when I came home, I found a lovely glove in each one - beautiful!

magneto

Practically Family
The business card of a dentist in Lincoln, Nebraska with an exchange+5 phone number. A folded old piece of White House stationery with some illegible writing (which I stuck in one of my X-thousand books for keeping, then forgot which book...) Nothing terribly interesting. :(

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Period Threads

Finding the cut off altered pants fabric from a vintage
Hollywood style suit in the chest pocket upon delivery!

Peter :rolleyes:

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
silver certificate

Found a $1 silver certificate in the chest pocket of an extremely well-made glen plaid double breasted suit I found at a Washington D.C.-area Goodwill. Best-fitting suit I've ever had, and it was made in Australia decades ago for some gentleman of taste. The certificate was dated 1960-something. Like someone else said, I put it in one of my thousands of books for "safekeeping" and haven't seen it since. Maybe I'll find it in my James Agee collection someday.

Salv

One Too Many
My uncle gave me his single button, cream wool 50's suit that had been stored in his attic, but he forgot to remove the condom in the breast pocket...

Donna Stewart

New in Town
A French one franc coin from 1944. Not exactly a pocket find, as I found it in the lining of a wool overcoat that had aquired a hole in the pocket, but close enough. Finding that coin made my day.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I found a funeral program dated 1950-something in the breast pocket of a suit. Just a short time ago I bought a late-50s sport coat. When I got home I felt a wad of folded paper in the inside pocket. Man, was I excited until I pulled it out and it was a few dozen Alley Oop comic strips wrapped with a rubber band...darn!

Michaelson

One Too Many
Not exactly a pocket find, but I purchased a mint conditon pair of 12k gold rimed glasses, and found the original prescription for the lenses made by a optomitrist in Nashville dated 1936 still in the case.

Regards! Michaelson

Johnny Eager

New in Town
Condoms and Phone numbers

In my adventures of collecting WWII uniforms I have found many interesting things in the pockets from these soldiers and sailors......
WWII Marine Corps Enlisted Dress Green Coat... used condom wrapper
WWII Navy Seaman's Dress Blues..... Girl's phone number on the inside of a matchbook.
WWII Navy Seaman's Dress Blues..... Girl's name and address
WWII A-2 Flight Jacket......Airman's WWII Dog Tags ..and orders to report for service in the Korean War!!!!
WWII Officer's Ike jacket from a Boeing Tech Representitive.... a theater made 20th Air Force patch inside
and a few snot rags in various WWII jackets........ Blahhhhhhhhh

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mr. Eager, that's fantastic!

I once found a few cool things in suits! I found a garbage bag full of suits and clothes from the 20's to the 30's in a thrift shop. It contained two three piece single breasted peaked lapel suits, one two piece of the same style, ivory linen pants, two sweater vests that were amazing, three or four collarless striped dress shirts and many other items.

One of the suits had a hand full of string, matches, a shopping list, and an old pocket knife with a broken blade (Darn it) and two ticket stubs from a show. The other suit had a pack of old gum from the 50's and a match book from the 40's. I kept the stuff in the pockets but, had to let the clothes go seeing they were all too small for me. Oh, I only paid $10 bucks for everything. This was almost 4 years ago way up in Winnipeg Manitoba.

I’m yet to find money or condoms or old phone numbers but, I haven’t stopped collecting so, anything’s possible!

=WR=

Wild Root said:
One of the suits had a hand full of string, matches, a shopping list, and an old pocket knife with a broken blade (Darn it) and two ticket stubs from a show. The other suit had a pack of old gum from the 50's and a match book from the 40's. I kept the stuff in the pockets but, had to let the clothes go seeing they were all too small for me. =WR=

You sure you didn't chew that gum? lol ;)

regards,

J

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Wild Root said:
I found a garbage bag full of suits and clothes from the 20's to the 30's in a thrift shop. It contained two three piece single breasted peaked lapel suits, one two piece of the same style, ivory linen pants, two sweater vests that were amazing, three or four collarless striped dress shirts and many other items.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Wild Root said:
One of the suits had a hand full of string, matches =WR=

The wardrobne of a street vendor?

In the left jacket pocket of the knickerbocker suit i found about 25 cigar bands - mainly Punch.

Various snot rags and the like. A couple of funeral programs.

Found some old British money - pre-metric (before people get excited, we only went metric in the 70s) - in a jacket in Aberdeen many years ago.

A friend of mine found an engagement ring, in its box, in an overcoat pocket. I don't even want to know how sad is the story that goes along with that ring.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner