Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well Fitted - 1940

filfoster

One Too Many
A fit fit

Orgetorix said:
Really? Looks tight in the coat skirt and too long in the back rise of the trousers to me. Nice drape overall, though. [huh]

Exactly. Definitely 1940. This is not the more comfortably drapey, attractive Bold Look, I think of as late '40's. Imagine seeing this guy today and not thinking 'Hey, that guy's outgrown that suit'.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
We weren't at war in untill 1942:rolleyes:

I feel that the suit fits him correctly, most didn't have much fabric at the shoe, and the coat fits just right, it's just a little high in the skirt because of his pose. Also, coats from the early 30s were much shorter in the skirt, by 1939-40 it was just over the rear but not nearly as long as it would be by '48-51.

Looks like a typical business suit of 1940.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Why, that's exactly the fit that Forgotten Man would almost kill for...

28305a.jpg

... me too, come to think of it.... ;)

filfoster

One Too Many
Drafty

Forgotten Man said:
We weren't at wore in untill 1942:rolleyes:

I feel that the suit fits him correctly, most didn't have much fabric at the shoe, and the coat fits just right, it's just a little high in the skirt because of his pose. Also, coats from the early 30s were much shorter in the skirt, by 1939-40 it was just over the rear but not nearly as long as it would be by '48-51.

Looks like a typical business suit of 1940.

US draft commenced in late 1940, before Pearl Harbor.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
September 16th I believe it was.

Well, you'd even see men or boys wearing their uniforms a little short... especially if they were drafted or enlisted men.

Mostly officers had near perfect fitting uniforms.

Question: Why did I spell war; wore?lol

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
Why, that's exactly the fit that Forgotten Man would almost kill for...

... me too, come to think of it.... ;)

Well, I've always been a huge fan of little to no break in the trousers. I feel too much break looks sloppy. Now, if the hem rides more than just at or a hair above the shoe, then you'll look like a goofus! lol

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
Well, I've always been a huge fan of little to no break in the trousers. I feel too much break looks sloppy. Now, if the hem rides more than just at or a hair above the shoe, then you'll look like a goofus! lol

Yes!

It's a delicate balancing act.

;)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
True, true!

I've seen some photos of jitterbugs wearing their pants rolled up so they can show off their stripped socks... that isn't so bad because it's intentional. But, when someone wears a pair of pants that are an inch or more over the shoe...:eusa_doh: time to lower the cuff or run to the tailor. :D

filfoster

One Too Many
Brimming with enthusiasm

Forgotten Man said:
I sometimes wear my brim up... it's a more "spirited" type of look isn't it? Like your more carefree and haven't anything to hide.

I often wear mine up as well. I imagine many people think it's unintentional or that I don't know better. I'm aping FDR's casual, upbrim look when I do this. Or Slip Mahoney of the Bowery Boys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou