Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Went shopping

Wasz

New in Town
So as far as I know there is one place anywhere around Pittsburgh to buy hats. So my girlfriend, brother and I went for a ride and found the hat store. I tried on a few hats, actually found one I looked pretty good in at that. Problem was the owner was not really making me feel like I wanted to give him my money.

Long story short he wanted $180 smackers for the Dobbs hat I wanted. Turns out I look pretty decent in hats with a wider brim and no pinch in the crown. I didn't see anything in the hat that would allow me to name it specifically. I can't even remember the size for sure. I was kinda frustrated, the owner was all about knocking off 20% from a hat that cost 460 bucks, but ask about the $180 being more than I want to spend and I'm invisible.

At any rate, I can't seem to find the exact hat, but it looked something along the lines of this, without the feathers. The brim could be turned up some or turned down.
dw0138%20.jpg

http://www.hatguys.com/onlineStore.cfm?storeAction=_view&prodID=257&srow=na

Anyway, I'm trying and the only option is to go back to the shop and bother the guy again, I dunno if I want to pay that kind of money for something that I don't really know what it is. Closer to 130 to 150 might be more reasonable?

jpbales

Practically Family
I'm stingy...

and I'm not talking about my brims! for me, 180$ is a looot of money, and I would definitely do a little research before spending that much on a hat. If you can find out more info about the style and size of the hat, that will help you a lot. 1st, cause you can figure out if it is actually worth that much, and 2nd, you will know your size as well.
A "porkpie" is what that particular bash is called, and you can find other hats in that same style or ones that you can crease that way yourself.
Others can chime in about the quality of Dobbs and if the hat is really worth that much money. I know Akubra makes pretty good, sturdy hats, and they're a lot cheaper, so you may want to consider looking at them. You might want to consider looking at eBay for hats, depending on your size. Vintage hats tend to be better quality than modern ones, but smaller sizes are easier to find than larger ones. Good luck, and welcome!

Dewhurst

Practically Family
(Please read the bold text, following this line) I have only owned one Dobbs hat, and it was a complete piece of trash. However, it was not one of their good hats, so I don't hold it against them at all. In fact, I have been thinking about getting another Dobbs recently. A better one, of course.

Hat store people, just like any others, can be great or they can be total losers. I'm not sure what the percentage to good vs. bad is, as I have only been to a couple hat stores.

If I were you, I would just use that guys store as a way to try on hats and see what size you like, what style, etc. Be extremely careful on the size. If you are between sizes at all (like me, I'm smack dab at 23 inches, which is woefully in-between a 7 1/4 and a 7 3/8) then I would definitely recommend going for the larger size, even if it slips down too far. You can always pad the sweatband, but if you get a size that is already a bit too small, it will make you uncomfortable. You may not even notice that it is making you uncomfortable until you own it for awhile, and this can be very depressing when you finally decide that it is uncomfortable.:)

Concerning Dobbs, I'm only aware of two different felt qualities: a regular no name all fur felt, and their Golden Coach felt, which they deem to be their highest quality felt. I have heard that they use pretty good fur felts, overall.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Wasz, what hat store did you go to????

The only one I know of around Pittsburgh is actually smack dab in the downtown area...... I drove there once and the guy I dealt with sounds exactly like what you are saying.... Needless to say , I never went back....

I agree with the above, you can get a much better hat from Akubra.

With that said, You need to know your size and what style you want....

You can always go back and pump the guy for more info on the hat, Try on more than the one you like and ask him to write down the models so you can remember them when you come back... and use that info to do some searching on the internet and the Akubra sites........

The quality is great and the price is really good right now with the dollar down.

If you find another store in the area let me know and I will do likewise ... Nearest place I know of is Cleveland and that is a heck of a drive for just looking at a hat...

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Ordinary Guy said:
I agree with the above, you can get a much better hat from Akubra.

Well, I am obligated to disagree with this. If you take out "much" and "better", and render the sentence, "I agree with the above, you can get a hat from Akubra." then I'm in full agreement. Then again, you could get a hat from anyone, really!:rolleyes: lol

I very much doubt that Akubra, despite its local celebrity here on the Lounge, completely outclasses Dobbs in quality. I have heard good things about Dobbs Golden Coach quality felt.

In all truth, if you are looking for dress hats in the vain of "dressy", then Dobbs certainly has the better hat selection for you in general. Their Dayton is a real looker, the Jet has serious attitude, and the Savoy is a hat that is personally on my list of hats to purchase this year.

Hats Plus has a good selection of Dobbs hats at very nice prices, indeed. (Just click my link to go right to the Dobbs section)

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
OKay, I need to change my statement, from the Dobbs I own and the Akubra's I own, I made my statement..

Not having seen all of the Akubra's or all of the Dobb's I can't make a good comparison...

Perhaps someone who has seen them all could do this for us......

But again being in the Pittsburgh area I don't have but one shop to see hats, and that one is pretty bad IMHO.....Half baseball caps and half hats, English was the clerks second language which didn't help matters either... Started with unmarked prices but quoted high ones and was willing to immediately drop down..... so perhaps my opinion was skewed a bit...

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I don't know about recent models, but older Dobbs hats are very nice- no trash there.

If you like that hat you've pictured in your post, check out the Stetson Gun Club- a nice hat, and you can usually pick one up for a reasonable price on eBay.

Actually, I'd recommend you check out eBay, period. All of my hats but two have come from eBay. Do a search for "men's vintage hats" or "men's fedoras" or "men's felt hats." Or search by specific brand and/or model of hat.

I have eight Akubras of various ages.....some of them are good, and some of them are great. I do think the workmanship on the older ones is better, but I feel that way about most things. And whether new or not, they are very sturdy.

I've certainly never heard anyone on this forum make the claim that Akubras are the world's finest hats......but they have justifiably gained a lot of acclaim and respect for being a good, well-made hat at a decent price.

And speaking of decent prices, remember the old Yiddish proverb- "Never pay retail, bubbeh!"

Wil Tam

Practically Family
good for you

I hate pushy sales people and would never pay $180.00 for a Dobbs whatever vintage or condition it is in ... if you know your size then shop on eBay for a nice lid & you can probably get it for the fraction of that.

Good Luck and welcome to the fray.

Wasz

New in Town
Ordinary Guy I'm sure we are talking about the same place. I was just kinda unhappy that from the second I walked in it was like the guys eyes rolled over dollar signs. I just felt like he thought he saw me coming.

The thing about the hat I had tried on was it was half gambler and half not. It didn't give off a western vibe really and the brim could be worn up or down like a fedora. As far as Dobbs goes, I know it didn't say anything special like Golden Coach inside. I couldn't see anything really, maybe I need to check inside the hat band? I was kinda perplexed as to where I could find out what kind of hat exactly it was.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Wasz, you have plenty of choices. From what I've seen, $180 for a newer hat is a bit of a rip-off...in most cases.

Older Dobbs hats were very good from I've heard. Don't have one yet but have been on the hunt for the right one.

Most sales folks today in men's stores and hat stores are woefully ignorant, sad to say, and mostly not terribly interested in finding something right for you and of good quality. You might find a newer one that is good, but you can get quality and features (e.g. Cavanagh edge and equivalents) no longer available in new hats at any price, on eBay. The downside is you have to know what you want and have a lot of patience...and run some risks.

Still, if I were in your place, I'd use the unhelpful stores for ideas about size and styles, then purchase something online, all the while continuing to search for the ideal hat(s) on eBay or antique stores or other sources. Just a suggestion!

There's a lot to learn from the helpful and courteous folks on the lounge...hang around for a while! I've been a hat wearer from way back but have acquired a ton of knowledge here.

- Bill

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Woodfluter said:
From what I've seen, $180 for a newer hat is a bit of a rip-off...in most cases.

This statement cries out for some serious qualification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany