Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wesco Boot Thread.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I've read numerous times here that the MP toe last runs long and wide. I can't speak to the long issue, but I have a pair on the MP last size 10.5 D and they are narrower than any other boot I have - and I usually take a D width. I always thought that was odd, but in checking out the Wesco engineer boots at Standard and Strange recently, I noticed that they (S&S) say the last runs narrow so they order their Wesco MP boots in E width as standard.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Mine are narrow in the toe area, and lower, top of toes sometimes "feels" the toe. This is indicated on thier website as well.

Goel

A-List Customer
The MP95 last runs wide while the MP1339 last runs narrow, most mp toes on the market are 1339 I believe so that's why they usually are listed with an E width which fits like a normal D. For those with MP toe lasts though, did you size down or go with your regular brannock size? I sent my measurings and they said I would probably be okay with a 7.5C (which is a half size below my regular size) but that I'm half way between sizes. From what I've seen most people do their regular brannock size and don't size down like they would do for Red Wing or Alden.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
The MP95 last runs wide while the MP1339 last runs narrow, most mp toes on the market are 1339 I believe so that's why they usually are listed with an E width which fits like a normal D. For those with MP toe lasts though, did you size down or go with your regular brannock size? I sent my measurings and they said I would probably be okay with a 7.5C (which is a half size below my regular size) but that I'm half way between sizes. From what I've seen most people do their regular brannock size and don't size down like they would do for Red Wing or Alden.

Very helpful. Thank you.

Yes, I went by my Brannock size in my Wesco boots. I'm a pretty standard 10.5 D but wear 10 D in Red Wing, Wolverine, and White's. In the Wesco, I wear a 10.5

Goel

A-List Customer
That's good, I'll go with my regular size too then as I know at least one other person was recommended to go down a half size for the MP but they went with their regular size and it fit fine. The width is the main thing to be aware of I think.

Chadwick

New in Town
Hey guys,
First post on here, just joined after reading helpful advice on here for a while, so thank you all already.

Couple of questions I'd love your experience and expertise on. (Not sure if this is the correct thread so I might ask in others also)...
About to order some Engineers (looking at Wesco Boss, love the big rounded bump toe on the standard boss toe last) but agonizing over a couple options.
Firstly sizing - I currently wear White's Smokejumpers in a 13EE and they fit perfectly. I've seen some of you guys suggest Wesco is half-to one size up? According to my tracings and measurements, talking to Chris at Wesco I'm between a 13.5EEE and a 14EE ? But I've read others say they are all true to size and the same size fits fine... Any advice?

Secondly, midsoles... I'm definitely going for a #430 sole and probably brown dyed edge, but don't know whether to go double or standard single midsoles. I know I've got a decent sized hoof and I'm 6'1" so the doubles wouldn't look too out of proportion and I love the chunky look. But I don't wanna look like I'm on stage with KISS in platforms and have a heap of heel slippage from super stiff soles...
Thirdly buckles - I love the traditional vintage shiny look of the nickel, but I've read that most recommend the roller style for function?

Finally, has anyone bought or tried on the new White's Cykel boot? I know my size in White's at least, but they might be too narrow/pointy (kinda Equestrian looking), and are only thin soles...

I need to get it right unfortunately via distance, (I'm in Australia).
Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help✌

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
I read this topic and would like to have confirmation about something.
Some seem to say they size half size more with Wesco mp 1339 Last boots ,compared to Red Wing boots, do you mean the Heritage 2268/2972 Red Wing Engineer boots ?

Cause i would like to order some Wesco built on the mp 1339 Last ,the only ones left are some Wesco in D width which seems to be narrow although i have a narrow forefeet circumference but i wonder if they really size 1/2 size smaller In length than the Red Wing 2268/2972 ?

My size for Chippewa 27863 is 10D to 10,5 D ( although they are a bit wide for me on the instep width I have to tighten lower buckle to the max ,that's why i suppose Wesco narrow D width should fit ) but for Red Wing 2268/2972 , 10D is too small ( for my left foot which is about 2 or maybe 3 mm longer than the right one ) , so i am more of a 10,5 D for these Red Wing boots ( although i couldn't try in 11D to see how it would fit ) and i wonder if 10,5 would be enough for those Wesco or if 11 would be needed ?

Merry Christmas to you all !

Last edited:

Colin G

One Too Many
Two pair of my WESCOs and one pair of Nicks. Black boss with mp toe straps and rings, black custom mp red liner, and non-Wesco Nicks Boots Burgundy Horween CXL tan lining.

Wow. I really like the custom Motor Patrol boot.

That just gave me an idea to do something similar in lieu of a Wesco 7400. Thanks for the inspiration.

Goel

A-List Customer
I finally got around to trying on some Wescos, I went with a half size down (so the same size as Alden Indy/Red Wing Iron Ranger/ Viberd 2030) for the MP95 Foot Patrols and they fit okay in D width but they're a bit snug in the toe region compared to the rest of my boots. Not painful or even tight by any means so I don't know if it's worth sizing up a width or if I should just wear them as normal and maybe take a shoe stretcher to it.

Luis Gutiérrez

New in Town
I finally got around to trying on some Wescos, I went with a half size down (so the same size as Alden Indy/Red Wing Iron Ranger/ Viberd 2030) for the MP95 Foot Patrols and they fit okay in D width but they're a bit snug in the toe region compared to the rest of my boots. Not painful or even tight by any means so I don't know if it's worth sizing up a width or if I should just wear them as normal and maybe take a shoe stretcher to it.
Hi, i share my experience, i bought Wesco Axe Breakers on 10.5E from standard and strange, cause they on their store online say run same sizing as Iron Rangers by Redwings so i wear 10.5D on those Iron Rangers, and runs narrow, E width fit like D on most brands, so i go with 10.5E, width was perfect but length was snug so i sent back for 11E instead. I hope you works for you

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I read this topic and would like to have confirmation about something.
Some seem to say they size half size more with Wesco mp 1339 Last boots ,compared to Red Wing boots, do you mean the Heritage 2268/2972 Red Wing Engineer boots ?
My wesco boss are the same size as my rw 68. Length feels the same. Wesco a little narrower

Cause i would like to order some Wesco built on the mp 1339 Last ,the only ones left are some Wesco in D width which seems to be narrow although i have a narrow forefeet circumference but i wonder if they really size 1/2 size smaller In length than the Red Wing 2268/2972 ?

My size for Chippewa 27863 is 10D to 10,5 D ( although they are a bit wide for me on the instep width I have to tighten lower buckle to the max ,that's why i suppose Wesco narrow D width should fit ) but for Red Wing 2268/2972 , 10D is too small ( for my left foot which is about 2 or maybe 3 mm longer than the right one ) , so i am more of a 10,5 D for these Red Wing boots ( although i couldn't try in 11D to see how it would fit ) and i wonder if 10,5 would be enough for those Wesco or if 11 would be needed ?

Merry Christmas to you all !

Luis Gutiérrez

New in Town
Hi body!!!! Nope i mean Iron Rangers by Redwings last 8 not engineer boots i really dont know that last but this coment is only for Iron Rangers by Redwings last 8, Wesco mp1339 runs snug and narrow. My self i wear 10.5D on Iron Rangers by Redwings last 8. Wesco MP 1339, 11E. I bought it on Standard and Strange. Neil, Elliot, Gen they have been with me cause i bought it too 1939th engineer english tan boot. Same last MP 1339.

Goel

A-List Customer
The Foot Patrols are actually on the MP95 last and are supposed to run wide unlike the 1339 which is narrow.

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
36C38A0D-430F-46AD-A86A-621C5A6A985B.jpeg
6B83BBF0-3CEF-42D1-B70E-2DE474E83FAF.jpeg
D483089B-B22E-41CF-9C3F-3CD6F8DCADBA.jpeg
16C81307-4263-43E2-A81E-B453514AFA94.jpeg
BC56E1DB-5B74-4FB4-A696-6397D45FB450.jpeg
View attachment 152359 View attachment 152360 View attachment 152362
Reviving this thread! I've recently bought into this Wesco boot business with the following pair. Found the toes (MP-style) have stretched enough that I can wear them now. Originally thought they would be too tight. Nearly sold for a loss, but decided to keep. Glad I did! :)

View attachment 120610 View attachment 120611 View attachment 120612 View attachment 120613

I'll plan with these to keep them as "good" or dress boots, keeping them polished as much as possible and wearing other boots more often in rougher conditions.
I recently bought some Wesco 100th anniversary 1939 british tan engineer boots from USA ( i am in France ,so i had to pay much import fees ) and before the purchase , i had searched for all the infos here to try to get the right size ,as well as emailing Wesco, Standard & Strange and another shop selling some and as my size for Chippewa 27863 is 10 to 10,5 D ( older production sized larger than most recent one ) and for Red Wing 2268, it is 10,5 D ,i was advised to order some 10,5D by Wesco and another shop ( S&S told me 10E would fit ,saying their E width is more like D width but it would not have fit me for sure !!) .
I received them but unfortunately i feel my left big toe nail is compressed on top of it ,as the tip of the boot is quite low compared to the other boots i speak about above ,which have steel toe .
I am really disapointed as i paid about 1000$ for them with the import fees ,so i don't know what to do !
I never had any Wesco and it is impossible to buy and try some anywhere in France ,so i could only order online .
I read this post of that person saying he seemed to have more or less the same problem as i do ( although his are the 7400 it seems but i believe the mp last for these ones is a different mp last than the one used for mine which is the 1339 and i think i read the toe box is a bit taller on mine due to the nailed down construction but i am not sure ) , but that they stretched and that he could keep them .
I have a left foot that is about 2mm longer than the right one ( what i had told Wesco and other shops ) , so it is mostly the left big toe nail that is compressed although i feel it slightly on the right one .
Do you think the ones i bought would also stretch above the toe and that i should keep them ?

Last edited:

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
S&S specifies that the E width for my boots , is like a regular D width , so the D width should size narrower as well but i don't see much difference between the D width for these Wesco and the D width of the Red Wing 2268 ( or even Chippewa 27863 D width , although it might be a bit wider than the Wesco D width for their 1339 last) .
I have thin feet though but i have the feeling the Wesco D width for this last is a regular D width or if it is narrower , it is very slightly narrower.
One thing is sure , a 10 E as advised by S&S would have been too small in length and too wide in width !
Another thing i noticed with these Wesco boots is that the instep is extremely large , wider than the Chippewa 27863 which is already large for me and also much wider than the RW 2268 ( which is narrower than Chippewa 27863).
I am really annoyed With that left big toe compression i feel on top of it and as the shop selling them doesn't have some 11D, i can't send them back to get 1/2 size larger and also i would loose much money if i send them back for refund !
I like them as they look nice ( and i don't like the look of their flatter toe box ) ,so i'd be extremely frustrated if they really don't fit as Wesco stopped manufacturing them and i am not sure they would be able to make some custom stitched down ones that look exactly the same with the same toe box shape !
Chris at Wesco said to remove the insert / insole and that ´s true that i feel less compressed at the toe without them but the boots are less confortable as just bellow there is the insole which is quite hard ,through which are nailed the nails ( i can see them and don't really like to be directly in contact with them although i don't feel them but the insert avoids that ) .

Last edited:

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
So , i don't know if i should sell them as new , before wearing them or send them back for refund ( but loosing much money ) or if i should wear them hoping the toe box will stretch at the top above my big toe and that i would not feel compressed anymore here once they have broken in ?
That said , i am quite disapointed with that purchase for the moment ( apart from that problem and the fact the instep is quite large , the quality is good and they look nice but if i can't wear them ...) , especialy as i had never bought some 1000$ boots in my life ( i don't think i had spent more than 400 to 500 euros in some boots before that ) and i was hoping to wear them for life !

Luis Gutiérrez

New in Town
View attachment 152369 View attachment 152370 View attachment 152371 View attachment 152372 View attachment 152373 View attachment 152359 View attachment 152360 View attachment 152362
I recently bought some Wesco 100th anniversary 1939 british tan engineer boots from USA ( i am in France ,so i had to pay much import fees ) and before the purchase , i had searched for all the infos here to try to get the right size ,as well as emailing Wesco, Standard & Strange and another shop selling some and as my size for Chippewa 27863 is 10 to 10,5 D ( older production sized larger than most recent one ) and for Red Wing 2268, it is 10,5 D ,i was advised to order some 10,5D by Wesco and another shop ( S&S told me 10E would fit ,saying their E width is more like D width but it would not have fit me for sure !!) .
I received them but unfortunately i feel my left big toe nail is compressed on top of it ,as the tip of the boot is quite low compared to the other boots i speak about above ,which have steel toe .
I am really disapointed as i paid about 1000$ for them with the import fees ,so i don't know what to do !
I never had any Wesco and it is impossible to buy and try some anywhere in France ,so i could only order online .
I read this post of that person saying he seemed to have more or less the same problem as i do ( although his are the 7400 it seems but i believe the mp last for these ones is a different mp last than the one used for mine which is the 1339 and i think i read the toe box is a bit taller on mine due to the nailed down construction but i am not sure ) , but that they stretched and that he could keep them .
I have a left foot that is about 2mm longer than the right one ( what i had told Wesco and other shops ) , so it is mostly the left big toe nail that is compressed although i feel it slightly on the right one .
Do you think the ones i bought would also stretch above the toe and that i should keep them ?
hi there!!!!! Do you know your size on Iron Rangers by Redwings last 8?????? For example i wear 10.5D on those but into Axe Breakers also 1939th engineer both by Wesco, i wear 11E bot as you said MP 1339. I hope workd for you God bless you

Luis Gutiérrez

New in Town
So , i don't know if i should sell them as new , before wearing them or send them back for refund ( but loosing much money ) or if i should wear them hoping the toe box will stretch at the top above my big toe and that i would not feel compressed anymore here once they have broken in ?
That said , i am quite disapointed with that purchase for the moment ( apart from that problem and the fact the instep is quite large , the quality is good and they look nice but if i can't wear them ...) , especialy as i had never bought some 1000$ boots in my life ( i don't think i had spent more than 400 to 500 euros in some boots before that ) and i was hoping to wear them for life !
Tuff decission i understand you trust.me,i bought it too 1939 th engineer english tan boot, i am From Monterrey México so i going to pick it up to my pobox in Texas, this Friday, but trust me is annoying to go every week to United States to pick up amd send back boots to Standard and strange. i purchase 10.5E cause Standard and strange store online says run same sizing as Iron Rangers by Redwings but wasnt true. So i returned back Axe Breakers and request 11E. i hope fits perfect, and once there pobox office, i try on 1939th if as miracle 10.5E fits me, right way, i keep it. But if dont. i send it back to Standard and strange. i already talk with Neil. I m telling you body seems there was Wesco mistake about toe box built. So my humble advice is send it back or sell them. Look contact to Iron Heart in London or post them here at reasanoble price may be not enough to get what you want, but something close.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Vintagestyle - I am the one who had nearly the exact same issue with my 7400's that I bought off thier clearance page. Only thing I can suggest is using internal boot shaping devices (spring loaded) and boot stretching spray. A little at a time, ovenight keep the devices inside them. Over a couple of weeks, it may get better. Not much else I can suggest other than to sell (what I did, break-even.)

These specific types of boots are some of the most challenging to fit, since you have very little adjustment and no way to lace up. Lots and lots of posts here about good looking/ill fitting Engineers.

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
Vintagestyle - I am the one who had nearly the exact same issue with my 7400's that I bought off thier clearance page. Only thing I can suggest is using internal boot shaping devices (spring loaded) and boot stretching spray. A little at a time, ovenight keep the devices inside them. Over a couple of weeks, it may get better. Not much else I can suggest other than to sell (what I did, break-even.)

These specific types of boots are some of the most challenging to fit, since you have very little adjustment and no way to lace up. Lots and lots of posts here about good looking/ill fitting Engineers.
You sold them in the end ?

I thought you had kept them as they had stretched but you seem to say you sold them .
I think it's very difficult to buy boots from most shops as they don't really care if it fits or not and you feel they don't have time to answer questions ! They answer some of them very quickly ( Neil seems to take more time to answer nicely but the advices on S&S are not all true ! For example , those 100th anniv 1939 brit tan don't size like Red Wing engineer boots unlike what i had been told by Wesco ,S&S and another shop ) but often not enough and not precisely enough knowing it is difficult to find the right size ,especilay buying online without beeing able to try them before !
I am really disapointed as 1000$ is much money for some boots and if i send them back i would loose between 400 to 500$ with the price for shipping them back !
I have had only bad luck buying engineer boots online for a while and spent tons of money for nothing ( and will have several to sell that are brand new but i don't want to sell them for less as they are brand new not even worn !) .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21