Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wesco rebuilt engineer boots, before and after

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just steeling myself to order a pair of Wesco. Thinking of going with brown domain and motor patrol toe. Not sure what sort of sole to go with though...
I really like the #705 sole pictured above. This style of sole with a double midsole gives the boot a very nice vintage look. Both pairs of my Wesco Boss's have the Vibram #100 lug sole and it is wonderful for mud or uneven terrain. If I had it to do over again though, I would have ordered the second pair with the #705 and double midsole.
I found the Boss to fit pretty close to the Red Wings I own, perhaps a tad wider. I think that Gav has the right idea regarding the foot tracing in this case. Since you are going to pay a good chunk of change and wait for at least 12 weeks, it would be nice to have a perfect fit when they arrive.

Reactions: Gav

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I don't think tracings are necessarily necessary :D - this is a v good guide to getting it right: https://www.boot.com/bsizcvt.htm#HowFindSize I don't think I'll really be using them on heavy terrain, I have wellies for that sort of thing, so a less cumbersome soleis probably the way ahead. I'm thinking of the domain because, as the OP says, it's a lighter leather and it'll take a shine.
Here's a heretical question: are they really worth they extra £100 over say a pair of Red Wings?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think tracings are necessarily necessary :D - this is a v good guide to getting it right: https://www.boot.com/bsizcvt.htm#HowFindSize I don't think I'll really be using them on heavy terrain, I have wellies for that sort of thing, so a less cumbersome soleis probably the way ahead. I'm thinking of the domain because, as the OP says, it's a lighter leather and it'll take a shine.
Here's a heretical question: are they really worth they extra £100 over say a pair of Red Wings?
Yes, they are worth the extra dough! My first engineer boot was a Red Wing Heritage 2990. It is a solid well made boot without a doubt. Compared to the Wesco Boss, however, it feels like a piece of fashion footwear. The Wescos are taller, heavier, and just plain bootier! The ability to customize almost every aspect of the boot is probably reason enough to pay the higher cost. Since I bought my first pair of Wescos the Red Wings have not left the closet...

Richbear

Familiar Face
Call and talk to Ray at Wesco about sizing. I have had at least 6 pairs of their line boots over the years and wore a size 10 medium. My boss before I had them rebuilt were a size 10 and fit great, Ray informed me that they would change my rebuild to a 9.5 because of the different last and toe shape also the heel and sole has a lot to do with how they fit. Glad I went with the 9.5 because they fit like a 10 in the regular boss style. Break in is so much easier with the black tie domain leather as well. I've worn these almost everyday since the rebuild and riding and walking in them is awesome. They feel solid and not whimpy by any means.

Gav

Practically Family
That's a pretty useful diy foot measuring system. Essentially you will be doing the same as if you were sending your measurements to wesco but just deciding the size yourself rather than letting them tell you the size.
I'm not sure of the benefit of that method if you are ordering directly from wesco, I would let the experts tell me the right size. Fair enough if you are ordering through a dealer.
Definitely worth the extra over red wings, there is no comparison. That is not to say that red wings are no good, just that wesco are a different league.
They are heavy boots regardless of sole choice, if you are keen to have them as lightweight as possible then a single sole with a thin rubber layer at most is best.
Hope you get a good fitting and comfortable boot.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for reassurance, guys. I tend to wear shoes to destruction and beyond, so a hard-wearing boot is just what I need. I'll probably have a few goes at the measuring before taking the plunge. Still swithering on the sole, whether to go for high traction lug or something a little less agricultural...

Gav

Practically Family
Mini lug is a good compromise.
Had them on my White's Nomads and Russell Moccasins- low profile but good traction and long lasting grip.
8416780522_3371eff40d_c.jpg

9028357560_2abd578214_c.jpg

705 halfsole:
18587971840_482b97983e_c.jpg

Richbear

Familiar Face
There are quite a few different options with the #705 half sole, my midsole and heels aren't near as thick as Gavs pic above and ordered them that way,,personal preference.

Edward

Bartender
Just steeling myself to order a pair of Wesco. Thinking of going with brown domain and motor patrol toe. Not sure what sort of sole to go with though...

Be interested to hear how this goes. I'm hoping to pick up a pair of probably Chippewas this year before prices get silly with the weak pound. I like a less luggy sole myself. My original engineers were Grinders with a big commando sole and steel cap. Heavy and ugly looking, not the Brando I was after (despite, ironically, being the "Wild One" model). Grand for snow and heavy weather, but when ya akready have wellies, I'd be going a flatter sole myself. Steel toecaps are great if you're shifting heavy things that might drop (once had another pair of steel toecap boots save me from a shattered foot), but unnecessary on the street, and a bad idea should you ever go for a bike...

@Edward I have two pairs of Chippewa engineers (no steel toe) made in the USA. They are great boots.
Just ordered a pair of Red Wing muleskinner iron rangers. Will post up some pics etc when they arrive.
First pair of RW.
And also have a look at Thorogood. I'm on pair #4 of their better lines in CXL hh and steer. Amazing boots.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I did try a pair of Chippewa engineers on, in their NYC shop no less, but they just didn't do it for me - I suspect I was rather discouraged by the grandiosity of the shop as much as I was the poor fit! That said, I saw a lot of engineer boots on my travels, and none really did it for me and eventually I realised that it's because a) I don't want matt black, I want shiny brown engineer boots, and b) I want a lower profile toe than the standard engineer boot one, which is why I fancy the Boss custom (not the m-2-m, which is $100 extra). Basically, I'd like something that looks like this:

images

Reactions: Dav

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Since I'm from France I decided to go with the custom sizing because it can be tricky to find the right size without trying out the boots first and I'm glad I did it. Plus I have surgery on both feet a few years ago and finding a comfortable shoes became a nightmare.

These are the most comfortable boots I have ever own from the beginning. No worries about sending them back and all the hassle that go with it.

Since, I have pay for the custom sizing the first time, now, every custom sizing for future purchases are free. Last year, I ordered a pair of Romeo and didn't have to pay the up charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy