Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wested custom design advice

Metatron

One Too Many
Hey guys, so for context I am not really a big leather jacket connoisseur, but I do want a 'generic' vintage looking leather jacket that I can just buy once and 'lovingly abuse' for years to come.
upload_2020-11-14_17-20-9.gif
Some of you have said positive things about Wested and as I really don't need 'the Bentley' of jackets, but just something well made with natural grain leather that develops character over time, they seem to fit the profile. It is also great that their stuff is made in the UK.

This is what I have in mind-from Hunted with Dirk Bogarde (1952) :

31BJIJT.jpg

As it is not a particularly complex pattern-I figured I could ask Wested to modify their Indy by removing the storm flap and adding buttons instead of snaps to the pockets.

Now I am really not asking for perfection from them, but I do need them to follow certain measurements carefully-for example I want it to be a short waist length jacket-if they mess this up and send me a long, baggy sack it would be no use to me at all.

I sent them a couple of emails and they have not been very responsive-they replied to one email saying it could be done after the lockdown but did not reply to a second email asking for certain measurements.

To those of you who have succesfully dealt with them-do you have any tips on getting the best results from them? Are they better on the phone? I was thinking of making a little drawing showing the required style-but I am worried that if they miss every other email some detail or other is going to be overlooked.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I'm not familiar with the custom work they do but based on the jacket I had from them and some of the other jackets based on 'film jackets' that they sell, well, they don't seem to be particularly accurate when it comes to fit or detail. (I had one of their 'Layer Cake' jackets a few years ago and baggy sack pretty much summed up the pattern they came up with.)

I don't know how the costs might compare but to me this sounds more like something suitable of the five star leather people, see many recent threads.

Yeah, seeing all these full on custom jackets other members have been receiving from 5 Star Leathers, I'd definitely 100% go with them, instead of asking anyone to modify their existing model to such an extent. Considering the accuracy with which they copied Ton's HB, I think 5* would repro this for you from just these coupla photos.

Metatron

One Too Many
Wow, I originally wanted to give someone local my custom but the overwhelming response here and at VLJ is to go with 5*. Shame cause I wanted to make it work with Wested but it seems the service and skills of 5* are hard to overlook.

The OP’s jacket looks very similar to Aero’s Royale:
3877B503-3D58-4FC9-9F08-357F9685DFF8.jpeg
03B45F3D-F934-42D3-9E8C-A29F49B5D2DB.jpeg
3EB073C5-43EC-4A7D-A6B7-751E1F54F663.jpeg
I think it’d be great in softer goat or battered steer, maybe even sheep or deer. I would use this base, and maybe give it more of a 40s collar, the little button tab at the bottom, and a 1 piece back. Maybe some front cording for flair...
08B19917-C543-4536-9ADB-D4047470F117.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points