Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

+1 anxious to see what you do with them.
For the Dry Gulch in Tanbark I'm considering a crease something like below. Only thing is it leaves a large rounded area in the back of the crown & so they usually put in a mule kick. I'm normally not a big fan of mule kicks.
IMG_7450.jpg

Thinking of having this hatband beaded for it.

IMG_1900.jpg

For the black Outlaw I'm considering something along the lines of these but I'm not sure I want to end up with a crown that tall. I think I would rather come up with a crease option to sink some of that crown.

IMG_6730.jpg

IMG_7071.jpg

What do you think?

For the Dry Gulch in Tanbark I'm considering a crease something like below. Only thing is it leaves a large rounded area in the back of the crown & so they usually put in a mule kick. I'm normally not a big fan of mule kicks.
IMG_7450.jpg

Thinking of having this hatband beaded for it.

IMG_1900.jpg

For the black Outlaw I'm considering something along the lines of these but I'm not sure I want to end up with a crown that tall. I think I would rather come up with a crease option to sink some of that crown.

IMG_6730.jpg

IMG_7071.jpg

What do you think?

Good looking Stagecoaches, Jack. Like you, I usually do something to bring the crown down a bi more. Most of mine usually end up in a Gus like crease. Can't wait to see what you do.

I tried the Staker Gus Buckaroo crease but my hat is blocked too straight & it didn't look right. The Gus Buckaroo takes more roundness.

I next tried this crease that Jaxon does but I put a mule kick in the back to take away some of the roundness & height. I'm really not a fan of the mule kick & if I end up using one it will be smaller than shown. Compare this idea to the Jaxon pic above. These creases are all done dry so I would get better definition with steam.

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

Then I tried this vintage crease from above. Can't remember but the hat above may belong to Vic. Hard to keep the dents in & the slope closed down narrow without using steam. I would raise the dents to try & take out the taper.

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

In either case I would probably go with a hatband in the 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" range which will eat up some of the height.

What do you guys think? I welcome your opinions.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I think either of the two creases would look good, HJ. I have a couple of Resistols that I did both of those creases to. With the Montana Pinch I used the Mule Kick and it doesn't look bad. I think the Silverbelly would look good with the Gus Crease....

Here's my Resistol 3X with the Gus. I also curled up the brim in the front and gave it a downward swoop in the front and back.
IMG_4847.jpg

gus_pinch_2.jpg
gus_pinch_3.jpg
Gus_Silverbelly_3.jpg

On the head
gus_pinch_1.jpg

Resistol Stagecoach. Montana Pinch with mule kick
Hat_on_radio_2.jpg
IMG_4797.jpg
Mule_Kick_3.jpg
Open_Range_Crease_1.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Terry the Montana Pinch with a Mule Kick is just about an Oreana Crease . Both similar to the "My Darling Clementine" hat Fonda wore ...

View attachment 78226 View attachment 78227
Thanks, Michael. Great flick. I always loved the hat which Fonda wore in that movie.

John Wayne wore one with that same crease in the "Three Godfathers" and also in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance".
TG_259.jpg

I like everything about this hat. The brim, the crown, the crease, it all works together nicely.

Last edited:
I think either of the two creases would look good, HJ. I have a couple of Resistols that I did both of those creases to. With the Montana Pinch I used the Mule Kick and it doesn't look bad. I think the Silverbelly would look good with the Gus Crease....

Here's my Resistol 3X with the Gus. I also curled up the brim in the front and gave it a downward swoop in the front and back.
IMG_4847.jpg

gus_pinch_2.jpg
gus_pinch_3.jpg
Gus_Silverbelly_3.jpg

On the head
gus_pinch_1.jpg

Resistol Stagecoach. Montana Pinch with mule kick
Hat_on_radio_2.jpg
IMG_4797.jpg
Mule_Kick_3.jpg
Open_Range_Crease_1.jpg
Thanks TJ, & I remember both of these from when you posted them up before. I really like your Montana Pinch & can only say it is obviously a different model of Stagecoach & blocked differently to get that nice rounded top of the crown, unless you reblocked it. I have a couple of things yet to try on mine, & something for the black one before I make my decision on what I'm going to do with them both.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks TJ, & I remember both of these from when you posted them up before. I really like your Montana Pinch & can only say it is obviously a different model of Stagecoach & blocked differently to get that nice rounded top of the crown, unless you reblocked it. I have a couple of things yet to try on mine, & something for the black one before I make my decision on what I'm going to do with them both.
The Stagecoach is a Turkey Creek. But, I did indeed reblock both of those hats on a straight sided block that has a rounded top. These Resistols have a lot of crown to move around. On top of that the original block shape has a good deal of taper. Trying a Gus crease with that much crown height and with the original block shape, it's probably going to taper up pretty noticeably. I was able to avoid the tapering by using the straighter block. If you don't want a lot of taper to the crown you may want to opt for the Montana Pinch. But it's going to be pretty tall.

Here's the open crown shape of the block I used
My_3_X_Resistol.jpg

Much more straight sided than the original with a nice rounded top.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
HJ, you'd rock a high crease pinch IMO. My Carmack came that way (he called it a mesa pinch) and with more brim. I've since trimmed the brim and telescoped the crown down but it worked great when I had longer hair and a full beard I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic