Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Some examples
20xhat1.jpg

20xhat2.jpg

20xhat5.jpg

AlexTheApache

Familiar Face
Anyone have any experience or info on Butch Dorer Hats. I have an opportunity to purchase a gently used pure beaver. From what I understand he only used pure beaver bodies. The one I'm looking at is an original pure beaver. It's more of a modern cowboy hat has a standard cattle and with a cutter style brim, tight in the front with the sides turned way up. I plan an a reshape of course. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any experience or info on Butch Dorer Hats. I have an opportunity to purchase a gently used pure beaver. From what I understand he only used pure beaver bodies. The one I'm looking at is an original pure beaver. It's more of a modern cowboy hat has a standard cattle and with a cutter style brim, tight in the front with the sides turned way up. I plan an a reshape of course. Thanks in advance for any help.

Alex, I have a Dorer —50, which is what they call their working cowboy hat. A 50-50 blend of hare/beaver in a natural color. Really nice hat that shapes pretty easily with steam. I don't care for the self felted hat band but it came with Sterling appointments, so I've left it for now. I don't have any other experience with their hats, only that the prices can get pretty far out there. I've heard nothing but good things about their hats. They use one of the most unique sweats I've ever seen.

I think TFL member, Suitedcboy has some Dorer hats. Perhaps he'll weigh in.

AlexTheApache

Familiar Face
Alex, I have a Dorer —50, which is what they call their working cowboy hat. A 50-50 blend of hare/beaver in a natural color. Really nice hat that shapes pretty easily with steam. I don't care for the self felted hat band but it came with Sterling appointments, so I've left it for now. I don't have any other experience with their hats, only that the prices can get pretty far out there. I've heard nothing but good things about their hats. They use one of the most unique sweats I've ever seen.

I think TFL member, Suitedcboy has some Dorer hats. Perhaps he'll weigh in.

Saw a few forum posts on here and did some research from a magazine article about them. The hat is too good of a deal to pass up so I think I will purchase it. I like the real silk lining and we shall see how I like it. I have to drive a ways for it so I hoping the seller will hold it for me. If and when I get it I will have to compare it to my Shorty's pure beaver.

DocCasualty,

I'm recalling that you ordered a hat from Grizz or someone with a Montana crease in it but I don't recall the leadtime. Did you ever get it?

I'm also remembering discussion about hats that might take a Montana crease, & maybe the Campdraft came up. I found this pic posted by Carter of his CD in a 2009 thread. I'm going to reactivate the thread with my modified CD when it arrives later today.

3348137562_e9c9dc8f87.jpg

AlexTheApache

Familiar Face
DocCasualty,

I'm recalling that you ordered a hat from Grizz or someone with a Montana crease in it but I don't recall the leadtime. Did you ever get it?

I'm also remembering discussion about hats that might take a Montana crease, & maybe the Campdraft came up. I found this pic posted by Carter of his CD in a 2009 thread. I'm going to reactivate the thread with my modified CD when it arrives later today.

3348137562_e9c9dc8f87.jpg

Very nice hat. I've tried this on some of my taller crown westerns but haven't gotten it to look at that great. Any suggestions?

Latigo

Familiar Face
Here's an ebay find I stumbled across, I sure wasn't looking for a Bailey and have never owned one before. I always thought they were and are a middle of the road hat as far as quality. This one however is pure beaver and is as far as I can tell very vintage from the crease and lack of markings as Bailey was bought out by Bolands I think just like Hatco got Stetson and Resistol. So I couldn't help but bid on it and was kind of surprised when I won. BTW it's actually a light mist grey. Anyone venture a guess as to age? The 50's?

Latigo
2953snap.jpg

2955snap.jpg

2966snap.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Here's an ebay find I stumbled across, I sure wasn't looking for a Bailey and have never owned one before. I always thought they were and are a middle of the road hat as far as quality. This one however is pure beaver and is as far as I can tell very vintage from the crease and lack of markings as Bailey was bought out by Bolands I think just like Hatco got Stetson and Resistol. So I couldn't help but bid on it and was kind of surprised when I won. BTW it's actually a light mist grey. Anyone venture a guess as to age? The 50's?
I know nothing about Bailey but that's a nice hat.

RJR

Latigo
View attachment 80628

View attachment 80625
View attachment 80626
Good looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran