Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Dale, this looks like a crease I'm going to have to try! Would look great on another Woomera.

View attachment 135102
That's a pretty cool one, Jack. I like some of those creative 1950s low crown creases. That one looks like it could work from either direction. Sort of like 50 Studebaker.

Anyone else here having any grief with tapatalk? I've been out of touch a few days because it wasn't working, I signed out and now it won't even let me sign back in. Had to visit through the website.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a pretty cool one, Jack. I like some of those creative 1950s low crown creases. That one looks like it could work from either direction. Sort of like 50 Studebaker.

Anyone else here having any grief with tapatalk? I've been out of touch a few days because it wasn't working, I signed out and now it won't even let me sign back in. Had to visit through the website.
I guess I'll have to find another way to post photos from android. What a pain, just when I want to post some new hats.

I’m on the hunt for a donor hat for conversion to something like the Duke wore in The Shootist. I’ll need a lot of crown and brim to work with and something darker than Silverbelly and lighter than brown. We’ll see what the eBay gods offer in the coming weeks.

f969ca9cb3a53f3190d9f908a65260f4.png

8b4852a1c4a2bdecad65abe7a797ddcc.png

1d56ce67f2507c2ebce3093035b3e427.png

Maybe the right Resistol/Dobbs Stagecoach will come my way? Anyone want to speculate on the height of the crown and the width of the brim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dang now I know what I'm getting myself for my Birthday not a hat a Scully shirt.

I support this!
Scully & Wah Maker both make some flour sack print shirts with banded collars & cuffs too, if you're into the period. I have a couple of them & the print patterns are great. This one is blue but I've converted the pic to B/W. wish I could get sepia tone.

IMG_1212.JPG

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I’m on the hunt for a donor hat for conversion to something like the Duke wore in The Shootist. I’ll need a lot of crown and brim to work with and something darker than Silverbelly and lighter than brown. We’ll see what the eBay gods offer in the coming weeks.

Maybe the right Resistol/Dobbs Stagecoach will come my way? Anyone want to speculate on the height of the crown and the width of the brim?

So, I have a minor obsession with the Calvary hat, specifically as it appeared in Rio Bravo. Based on messing around with my nutria Boss Raw Edge, I'm quite convinced that hat was at least 7" open crown (to get that deep diamond crown that pops back up in the center). Likewise looking at my Resistol Cogburn vs the on-screen hat, I'm pretty sure that one would have been taller than the 6" height of the production model.

I did this up real quick for you, apologies for the poor lighting. So, mine is 7" open crown, this crease ends up at about 5.5" from brim break to the 'valley' in front.

It's in the ballpark but Duke's might even be taller?

FWIW, Knudsen advertises theirs as 6" ( which seems to be the creased height) and 4.5"-5" brim.

So, I have a minor obsession with the Calvary hat, specifically as it appeared in Rio Bravo. Based on messing around with my nutria Boss Raw Edge, I'm quite convinced that hat was at least 7" open crown (to get that deep diamond crown that pops back up in the center). Likewise looking at my Resistol Cogburn vs the on-screen hat, I'm pretty sure that one would have been taller than the 6" height of the production model.

I did this up real quick for you, apologies for the poor lighting. So, mine is 7" open crown, this crease ends up at about 5.5" from brim break to the 'valley' in front.

It's in the ballpark but Duke's might even be taller?

Very helpful. I know some of the 1970s hats I come across have 6.5+ crowns, but something over 7” might be hard to find. My dimensions might need to come down or my budget will need to increase. Your hats looks great, by the way.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here

That one looks to me like the front brim has been sliced off a bit and then the front left and right edges curled up.

Maybe the Akubra Woomera can serve as a donor hat for this conversion?

https://www.hatsbythe100.com.au/akubra-woomera-hat-santone-fawn-made-to-order.html

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Scully & Wah Maker both make some flour sack print shirts with banded collars & cuffs too, if you're into the period. I have a couple of them & the print patterns are great. This one is blue but I've converted the pic to B/W. wish I could get sepia tone.

View attachment 135643

Great look. The aviators complete it perfectly. Which hat is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodtroll

One Too Many

John Wayne was a big man, all by himself without the hat! Based on some of the bigger hats I have, I'd say that the crown on that hat has to be 6" or more creased, and the brim at least 5". Again, that's just based on my "really bad weather hat" which is a Resistol Stagecoach with a 5" crown and 4" brim, and it's not as big as Mr. Wayne's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters