Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

HJ:
The suspense is hard on my blood pressure!!
I’d much rather feel the skipped beats and pitty patty palpatations from seeing it full on!
I can handle it!!
I guess no wine before its time!! Lol
B
Still working on the curl by hand Bowen. The crown crease set enough with steam that I think it will be ok but I may need some hat stiffener for the kettle curl. Being after Labor Day & all I want to wear it a bit so I may wait to work on it more when it gets unboxed in the Spring.

I'm probably going to leave it like this & wear it some this fall. I'll touch it up when I unbox it come Spring. Unless I could figure out a way to iron it in the kettle curl is just not going to hold without some stiffener.

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

Jack, have you seen this type of curling iron?

https://www.hatblocks.co.uk/product/curling-iron/

Perhaps something could be DIY'ed?
Thanks for that Jared. I had not seen that before & the video gave me some ideas. I have some SS rod in 3/16" diameter. Impossible to bend by hand but I wonder what radius the rod & block would need to be? The rod is only going to take so much anyway, isn't it? So I guess what's important is that they match.

I'll have to think on that a bit.

Roadopen

One of the Regulars
Hmmmm! That get pretty tricky have a roll on a Western, if that's the look your after it would obviously shortened the brim size/length all around overall and you had just turned a Western into something else different.

I have a western inspired straw hat (all put away for the fall/winter season now) that had the straight fold-up soft 90 degree angle. It's look better to me overall than having a round curl.

Nice hat sir you got there:cool:, I'd leave it the way it is now with just a slight curl is just right. Just me of course, your call:D

Cheers!
Roadopen

Hmmmm! That get pretty tricky have a roll on a Western, if that's the look your after it would obviously shortened the brim size/length all around overall and you had just turned a Western into something else different.

I have a western inspired straw hat (all put away for the fall/winter season now) that had the straight fold-up soft 90 degree angle. It's look better to me overall than having a round curl.

Nice hat sir you got there:cool:, I'd leave it the way it is now with just a slight curl is just right. Just me of course, your call:D

Cheers!
Roadopen
Thanks for your comments & welcome to the forum, RO. Dress Western hats came early in the 20th century & were worn by cattle barons & other western businessmen; they were not cowboy hats. They had 3" brims typically with a raw edge kettle curl & thin ribbon. That is the look I am trying to emulate. The 1920's Stetson Boss Raw Edge is a prime example.

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

This contemporary BSHW with a mid ribbon could be another example.

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

Same as this Gannon Highwayman, originally a thin ribbon I had Michael change up to a mid ribbon. It does have a bound edge brim.

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

The tall crown 3" bound edge brim style was probably the natural evolution between the 1920's & the introduction of the Open Road in the 1940's.

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

That's what I believe anyway. YMMV.

Roadopen

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your comments & welcome to the forum, RO. Dress Western hats came early in the 20th century & were worn by cattle barons & other western businessmen; they were not cowboy hats. They had 3" brims typically with a raw edge kettle curl & thin ribbon. That is the look I am trying to emulate. The 1920's Stetson Boss Raw Edge is a prime example.

View attachment 137502

View attachment 137501

View attachment 137509

View attachment 137507

View attachment 137508

Same as this Gannon Highwayman, originally a thin ribbon I had Michael change up to a mid ribbon. It does have a bound edge brim.

View attachment 137505

View attachment 137506

The tall crown 3" bound edge brim style was probably the natural evolution between the 1920's & the introduction of the Open Road in the 1940's.

View attachment 137503

View attachment 137504

Wow! Lotsa info here sir! Thank you for a little bit of info here. Means a lot. I could only hope that i have started a while back on this as i have been always been fascinated by mens hat since childhood but really got hooked into music and guitars for the longest time.
Very much appreciated sir. You have some really awesome looking lids specially the last one

Cheers! Look forward to more post from you and the others✌️

Roadopen

Thanks for your comments & welcome to the forum, RO. Dress Western hats came early in the 20th century & were worn by cattle barons & other western businessmen; they were not cowboy hats. They had 3" brims typically with a raw edge kettle curl & thin ribbon. That is the look I am trying to e

Fine examples all, HJ and a well thought out explanation of this style hat. One of my favorites as you know.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I'm probably going to leave it like this & wear it some this fall. I'll touch it up when I unbox it come Spring. Unless I could figure out a way to iron it in the kettle curl is just not going to hold without some stiffener.

View attachment 137462

View attachment 137463

View attachment 137464

View attachment 137465
Super crease, hell super everything!! We had a word for stuff back in the day that was for something way over the top. It will get me ban but it started with a p and ended in y.
So...HJ that hat is “pure .....”!!!!
B

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great hats and great explanation Jack. This style of western always looks good to me.

View attachment 137502

View attachment 137501

View attachment 137509

View attachment 137507

View attachment 137508

View attachment 137505

View attachment 137506

View attachment 137503

View attachment 137504

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Jack, have you seen this type of curling iron?

https://www.hatblocks.co.uk/product/curling-iron/

Perhaps something could be DIY'ed?
I saw that video on YT a whi

View attachment 137502

View attachment 137501

View attachment 137509

View attachment 137507

View attachment 137508

View attachment 137505

View attachment 137506

View attachment 137503

View attachment 137504

Stetson still make the West Bound hat. Dam good looking hat.
https://www.stetson.com/store/west-...rACh1RlwlqEAQYBSABEgKLVvD_BwE&color=chocolate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points