Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

mullitt

Familiar Face
Been wanting to class up this 80s Stetson since I got it. It's a handsome hat, but the band was just ugly, tacky fake leather. I bought a white ribbon, but it was far too bright so I dyed it in coffee.
Before:
IMG_6786.jpeg

After:
IMG_6788.jpeg

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
I posted about this hat in the Borsa Brotherhood thread in more detail but thought I might as well add it here. Stefan thinks he's reading model as Naiauva 44. Hat once belonged to Leo Carrillo, Pancho in the TV show The Cisco Kid. From pic of him waving it to the crowd at the Berlin Airport c1950 and felt's "memory" and markings, I think I've been able to put bash Leo wore hat with, back. Hat's dimensions are 6 1/2" by 3 1/2" and felt is the quality you'd expect from Borsalino.
IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

gettyimages-508732320-2048x2048.jpg

Last edited:
I posted about this hat in the Borsa Brotherhood thread in more detail but thought I might as well add it here. Stefan thinks he's reading model as Naiauva 44. Hat once belonged to Leo Carrillo, Pancho in the TV show The Cisco Kid. From pic of him wearing it at the Berlin Airport c1950 and felt's "memory" and markings, I think I've been able to put bash Leo wore hat with, back. Hat's dimensions are 6 1/2" by 3 1/2" and felt is the quality you'd expect from Borsalino.
View attachment 374595
View attachment 374596
View attachment 374597
There was an old hat maker Roelofs that used that same Smile branding in a similar font in the early 1900s

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
I bought a 4X Beaver Stetson Rancher on eBay last month. It had a tall Cattleman crease, a ribbon band, and an asymmetrical brim curl. I think it was made in the 1980s or early 90s. It looked like it had been worn only once or twice. The crown was too tall in front for my liking, and so I re-creased it. I also fixed the 3 1/2-inch brim. I made a hat band for it from a rawhide shoelace. I kinda like the contrast of the band against the black felt. I also have a black leather silver-buckle band, but I think I like this look better.

1980s Stetson Rancher.jpg
Cattlepinch 2.jpg
Cattlepinch 1.png

Last edited:

MisplacedHillbilly

One of the Regulars
I bought a 4X Beaver Stetson Rancher on eBay last month. It had a tall Cattleman crease, a ribbon band, and an asymmetrical brim curl. I think it was made in the 1980s or early 90s. It looked like it had been worn only once or twice. The crown was too tall in front for my liking, and so I re-creased it. I also fixed the 3 1/2-inch brim. I made a hat band for it from a rawhide shoelace. I kinda like the contrast of the band against the black felt. I also have a black leather silver-buckle band, but I think I like this look better.

View attachment 374852 View attachment 374853 View attachment 374854
Looks great to me, really like the band. I personally think western hats look so much better reshaped with a personal touch. Even though yours is still pretty much the cattleman crease,it looks different and better from the bland factory crease imho.

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
Even though yours is still pretty much the cattleman crease, it looks different and better from the bland factory crease imho.

Thanks. Yeah, from some angles the crease still has the cattleman look. I call this crease a Cattle Pinch, because it's a cross between a cattleman and a pinch. The side dents have been shortened front-to-back, deepened vertically and moved forward. Don Collier wore a hat with a similar crease in El Dorado (1966).

Last edited:

MisplacedHillbilly

One of the Regulars
Thanks. Yeah, from some angles the crease still has the cattleman look. I call this crease a Cattle Pinch, because it's a cross between a cattleman and a pinch. The side dents have been shortened front-to-back, deepened vertically and moved forward. Don Collier wore a hat with a similar crease in El Dorado (1966).
I like it, I tend to recrease my hats to variations of the "gus" pinch. This hat came to me as a badly smooshed 1980s Resistol.
20211101_102952.jpg
20211101_103006.jpg

View attachment 374927 View attachment 374928 View attachment 374929

Looks good. I’m not a huge fan of the cattleman and it’s variants, but sometimes it just works on a hat. Your re-crease looks great and doesn’t look much like a cattleman to me.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I enjoy myself when I unbox one I haven’t worn in awhile. Churchill Rancher in BEAVER “50”. This thing has felt you can do most anything with without steam, so I did. There are 100’s and 7X CB’s that don’t line up with the felt of this hat.
View attachment 375138 View attachment 375139 View attachment 375140 View attachment 375142 View attachment 375143
Ah...the old six dent dog bone.
Totally agree, the Beaver “50” goes where many hats can only dream. The finish under the liner is every bit as nice as the outside also. Not something many hats fuss over.
B

Smithbilt in bone (off-white):

40B5CEC2-8E9F-4242-92A7-7A5241634255.jpeg
AA99904D-2D1B-42B1-80F1-CA26950C5E6B.jpeg
801CE8F9-17D0-4C7F-A46A-54A60BC96DB1.jpeg
C814A8C1-2F20-488F-B428-1E61C166ADCA.jpeg
44F85796-6A61-4754-A162-534E66B9DE5A.jpeg

Although best know for their cheap wool Stampede novelty hats, Smithbilt made some nice fur felt hats too. This hat has felt that rivals my best vintage 3X hats with the advantage of being dime-thin. Great hand too. This was a hat that Art Fawcett had acquired and subsequently sold to me after he retired.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ