Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Cowboy_Glass_Negative.jpg

Mm25

One Too Many
I used to shoot USPSA 30 years ago and I’ve tried some local unaffiliated three gun shoots, but I gave them up to do to time, expense, and bruised pride. Back in college I shot some bench rest (Hunter class) and had fun doing it. However, SASS is fun even if you’re at bottom of the standings. I don’t like how all the winners are shooting very light load .38 Specials and believe that they should have a “major” power factor requirement for all shoots. I love the atmosphere and the costuming at big SASS shoots. I plan on getting serious about it in retirement…not serious as a competitor, but serious at attending more events.
I’ve thought about SASS too, but the gun cost to get started has really climbed!

I’ve thought about SASS too, but the gun cost to get started has really climbed!

All the shooting sports have become an equipment race; that’s what killed 3-Gun shoots for me. The only competitive I’d like to do again is Glock Shooting Sports Foundation where we use stock pistols. I’m not a huge Glock guy and don’t shoot them enough to be in the money (they actually give away guns to the winners).

If you don’t mind not being competitive you don’t have to spend all that much for Cowboy Action: A cheap used or new import exposed hammer side by side shotgun, a reproduction SAA or Vaquero, and a Winchester 1873 reproduction…say $3,000-4,000 with a bit of smith work and then you’ll need some leather. That’s awfully cheap compared to 3-Gun where my pistol before customization was that much. SASS used the range I used to work at and even the people using stock guns and at the bottom of the leader board were having a blast. I also liked how family friendly it was and how non-participants were dressed up and having a great time. I’m determined to at least give it a try. Of course that will necessitate a new hat…

I think we need to make a country swop, Brent. A long, hot, and dry summer would do me fine. Though without those terrible forrest fires.

You’re on! Start away from the hills/mountains and you don’t have to worry about the fires. The smoke will still get you though. Last summer we had wildland fire smoke from California and Oregon fires in Texas and beyond! Any good fishing out your way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana