Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

I'm a bit of a ways off from retirement..but check out cheap RV living on YouTube. Tons of people retire and spend the golden years on the road

And you can take the hat collection with you:

1680551790319.png

Who?

Practically Family
To live properly in a big house requires staff, which is pretty much a thing of the past, and out of my reach. They used to be called “servants” but we are no longer allowed to use that word.

Neither the RV Life, nor the tiny house, appeals to me either.

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That is a beauty!

PIKERS!!!....you gave me a first cup of coffee belly laugh Brent and a stroll down memory lane with that one.
37 yrs ago when i relocated to this West Virginia mecca called Morgantown, home of the mighty West Virginia Mountaineers, throwback hippie town, always in the top few US college party towns, the locals referred to Pikers as the great unwashed who lived out in the beyond on Kingwood Pike a narrow serpentine road that took you through a part of scenic almost heaven in a drive that took forever to get nowhere. Along the way you’d be transported back in time where the remnants of hard working coal miners home’s and homesteads peaked out from ever encroaching nature, many still occupied. Electric lines were non-existant then and sparse today.
I’d never heard the term Piker except here. Maybe Cali piker’s are different.
Funny thing is that now that whole area is a prime goldmine for development being so close yet so far away from the towneys.
Karma with $$$$
B
Ps: hat
A virginal snow white Last Drop ORish Stetson with nary a mark.
A Christmas gift kindly from...well you, Brent and Max.
Thank you my friends.
B

View attachment 504223 View attachment 504224 View attachment 504225

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Digging through the Western Ranch Outfitters thread I stumbled upon what seems to be a model name ID in one of the war time era catalogs for the mystery green Stetson. The listed dimensions match. I am assuming the ribbon did originally before it was presumably damaged then "fixed." The flange on mine is not original, as I reflanged this one after installing a new sweatband. Thanks again to Brent for sending this one my way.

I'm a bit of a ways off from retirement..but check out cheap RV living on YouTube. Tons of people retire and spend the golden years on the road
Before I would recommend it to others I suggest they look deeply into it before they sink money into an RV. During the pandemic RV park fees increased greatly, National and State Parks were over run, the price of gas and the cost of buying and maintaining a house on wheels never offers a cheap way to live.

We owned a motorhome from 2014 to 2021. Travelled/slept on average 90 nights per year. Loved those years, enjoyed the freedom an RV offered but I would never venture to say it was a cheap way to live or travel.

chivaceae

New in Town
I wanted an American smallish western, like the stetson range 6 x. I haven't found any reviews online of that hat though. I think the flange is a little exaggerated on the most cowboy hats. Does anyone have the Akubra rough rider? I like it's looks, cuz the flange is much flatter, as I wouldn't be able to go to a shop and have one shaped in house.
I have owned a Stetson Range (sold as the model Plata in the Mexican hat market) that I bought at the Stetson Factory Outlet Store in Garland, Texas some 15 years ago. It has an interesting sweatband that looks like ostrich leather (but without their classical quill bumps).

In my opinion, it is basically an Open Road model with a slightly larger brim (3 inches versus 2.5 to 2.75 inches in the OR variants) and thicker, western weight felt. I like it a lot, in particular the flatter shape of the brim compared to a more typical cowboy brim like in the Rancher model.
Raul

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy