Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Like everywhere else on the internet you can't be too thin skinned around here. I feel like most folks are of a similar mind though and it's a pretty decent place to be as the internet goes.

I’m not sure what “lifestyle“ requirement is being referred to above but I’ve worked on multigenerational ranches in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana and I don’t recall ever seeing an OR on a buckeroo, wrangler, foreman, owner, or cook for that matter. My best friend is a national champion rodeo cowboy and I’ve competed myself and again there are no ORs to be found in those circles.

Don’t get me wrong, ORs are great (I have several and wore a modern OR to dinner on Saturday) but having someone tell you that you need to be a real cattleman/cowboy to wear one is not consistent with my experience.

You wear your OR quite well and you certainly would fit in nicely in these parts of the country whether you are a cowboy or not.

Bill

StoryPNW

One Too Many
I’m not sure what “lifestyle“ requirement is being referred to above but I’ve worked on multigenerational ranches in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana and I don’t recall ever seeing an OR on a buckeroo, wrangler, foreman, owner, or cook for that matter. My best friend is a national champion rodeo cowboy and I’ve competed myself and again there are no ORs to be found in those circles.

Don’t get me wrong, ORs are great (I have several and wore a modern OR to dinner on Saturday) but having someone tell you that you need to be a real cattleman/cowboy to wear one is not consistent with my experience.

You wear your OR quite well and you certainly would fit in nicely in these parts of the country whether you are a cowboy or not.

Bill
Thank you sir!

I believe someone said something about straw???

Out creating more work for myself in a Bailey Saddle King Buntal.

AE0CD8DB-50EE-4176-AD28-21DD05919E08.jpeg

1F0A33E4-77D2-4BAB-911D-6CE5A4BBAA85.jpeg

1681765038228.jpeg

I propose that all it takes to earn the right to wear any hat you please is to have a head and a hat.

It’s a lifestyle, not a fashion thing.

The idea that anyone has to “earn” the right to wear any item of clothing, or any combination of items, is preposterous.
It’s pretty easy to take something out of context from a conversation or discussion that you aren’t participating in. I didn’t say anything about anyone not having the right to wear whatever they want. But please convince me it’s not about fashion the next time someone wears their Indiana Jones fedora & leather jacket to work where they sit at a desk & shuffle papers & their only adventure for the day will be where they decide to go to lunch? Can’t be a lifestyle; it has no basis in reality.

Explain to me it’s not about fashion when the next newbie joins FL in order to post a screen shot of a movie hat & ask where he can get one?

And explain to me that it’s not about fashion the next time someone goes out of their way to change a ribbon on a good original vintage hat just to match their shirt?

glider

A-List Customer
I know plenty of working cowboys with B.S. on both sides of their boots, just like every other profession. I'm really hoping this forum can quit with these notions that one person has a special status because of what they do instead of who they are. If someone is decent, honest, kind, open-hearted, and into hats then I want to share this space with them. If this is a space where some folks are legitimate hat/boot wearers and others are not, then I'll be packing up my hats and drifting along.
IT WAS A JOKE!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
It’s pretty easy to take something out of context from a conversation or discussion that you aren’t participating in. I didn’t say anything about anyone not having the right to wear whatever they want. But please convince me it’s not about fashion the next time someone wears their Indiana Jones fedora & leather jacket to work where they sit at a desk & shuffle papers & their only adventure for the day will be where they decide to go to lunch? Can’t be a lifestyle; it has no basis in reality.

Explain to me it’s not about fashion when the next newbie joins FL in order to post a screen shot of a movie hat & ask where he can get one?

And explain to me that it’s not about fashion the next time someone goes out of their way to change a ribbon on a good original vintage hat just to match their shirt?
I think all FL'ers are trying to make the same fashion statement:

Let's bring hats back into fashion :cool:

wsmontana

A-List Customer
I believe someone said something about straw???
Can’t wait for winter to end here in Montana so I can wear my straw OR. I have other less fashionable (but better vented) straw hats for summer activities like brandings and fly fishing but for me this OR is great for local outdoor concerts and bbqs with friends.

76E7F9B7-5290-4A12-AFF8-84B0E548E4B5.jpeg
3A4D2606-3856-4237-8A42-E595CC13FF71.jpeg

Last edited:
I love this style of straw hat. I’ve found a few, but none that fit me right. The shape, brim width, color, and then ventilation are all great.

WOW!!! That's an inspiration! What a beauty!

Great hat! I’ve been searching for a hat like this since you showed it to us last year. No such luck finding another in my size but the search continues. :)

Thanks guys. It's no Silver Spur, but if you can afford the airplane ...

I come close to qualifying to wear the Saddle King. I'm wide and sometimes high.

1681858297961.png

chivaceae

New in Town
Today I used my re-sized and reshaped Resistol Plains (from the 1960's, red liner, Melorol sweatband), the grey one on the right in this picture.
To its left is a Resistol Diamond Horseshoe 15x that I am resizing (to 7 1/2), using a cheap plastic "hat shaper" (straight-sided dome, similar to a #52 block). The black hat is an Akubra, and the olive hat on the far left is a Stetson Gun Club 4X.
Raul

Attachments

• Hats_on_wall.JPG
    Hats_on_wall.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace