Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

VoodooSan

One Too Many
Hi
The taxidermy companies carry a spray to keep the snakeskin fresh. Andelus Reptile / Exotic Skin Formula.
Cool hat and band.
Mike, thanks so much for the tip about the Angelus products. I went with the Reptile and Exotic Skin Conditioner, and, while it's hard to really tell from a photo, it's made a HUGE difference in the appearance of the band.

Stetson Big Country 1.jpg

VoodooSan

One Too Many
Some hats require more fine-tuning than others, to get them “right”, or at least, “right” in their owner’s eyes. I’ve never cared for the thin ribbons on silverbelly Open Roads, never mind that when I bought mine, the ribbon was stained. No horsehair band I ever put on quite did it for me either; I always felt I was just “making do”, instead of getting to where I wanted to be. So, fortuitous happenstance: when I recently converted a years-old antique store beater to a Cowboy Shooting hat for a Valdez is Coming outfit, I took off what was really the most decent part of the original hat: a 6-cord band from probably the late 50’s/early 60s. That went on the OR yesterday morning, and I believe I am finally pleased with it.

Stetson OR 6-cord.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a worthy "custom", Mark.

Some hats require more fine-tuning than others, to get them “right”, or at least, “right” in their owner’s eyes. I’ve never cared for the thin ribbons on silverbelly Open Roads, never mind that when I bought mine, the ribbon was stained. No horsehair band I ever put on quite did it for me either; I always felt I was just “making do”, instead of getting to where I wanted to be. So, fortuitous happenstance: when I recently converted a years-old antique store beater to a Cowboy Shooting hat for a Valdez is Coming outfit, I took off what was really the most decent part of the original hat: a 6-cord band from probably the late 50’s/early 60s. That went on the OR yesterday morning, and I believe I am finally pleased with it.

View attachment 619202

VoodooSan

One Too Many
I don’t actually haunt the three antique stores closest to my home, but when chores or errands take me near any of them, I usually find nearby parking, dash in, and conduct a Speed Racer tour of the facility. The largest one, in neighboring Nampa, has never rewarded my efforts, until today when I scored this 5X beaver Rodeo King, with a 4” bound brim, and a crown that’s 5.5” at the front crush, and 5.75” at the side, with a 1.5” ribbon. It’s in VERY clean condition, and I got it for what I consider a song.:D

Rodeo King 5X brn 1.jpg
Rodeo King 5X brn 2.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Those antique store finds are great! Last year I snagged a straw Open Road for a bargain price.

I don’t actually haunt the three antique stores closest to my home, but when chores or errands take me near any of them, I usually find nearby parking, dash in, and conduct a Speed Racer tour of the facility. The largest one, in neighboring Nampa, has never rewarded my efforts, until today when I scored this 5X beaver Rodeo King, with a 4” bound brim, and a crown that’s 5.5” at the front crush, and 5.75” at the side, with a 1.5” ribbon. It’s in VERY clean condition, and I got it for what I consider a song.:D

View attachment 619361 View attachment 619362

View attachment 619361 View attachment 619362
Looks great on you Mark.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 619361
?
That is a cool find, Mark. Congrats.

Can we see the inside.

VoodooSan

One Too Many
Thanks, Steve! Unlike the exterior, the inside is a little rough, to say the least. o_O A significantly unstitched portion of the headband was expediently, if not pleasingly, remedied by someone in its past with what looks some kind of glue. Not EXACTLY how you like to see a hat treated, but it certainly seems to have been effective. For the price I paid, I can live with it.

RK 5X interior 1.jpg
RK 5X interior 2.jpg

VoodooSan

One Too Many
That generation of 5X (late 70’s - 80’s) was more like cardboard with some fur & lots of powder on it. In any kind of rain the colored powder will bleed, the hat will soak thru & basically fall apart. RK’s have the reputation for sweat stitches pulling through also, which your’s already has.
OK! Apparently I didn't get quite the bargain I thought I had. So, definitely NOT an inclement weather hat. Thank you, Jack, I will wear it appropriately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
girlmom