Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

From what you can see in this pic the hat appears to be very similar but the crease not as narrow. My guess is this was taken sometime around 1895-1900 when he was a bit younger.

dlgths.jpg

During his Wild West show days & late in his life Cody probably wore hats that were very similar to each other. That would explain why slight differences are seen in pics from the same era. Cody also used a double as a stand-in for himself sometimes at public appearances, as the schedule required. The double was a doctor from the New England area. This pic is commonly thought to be the doctor as he aged.

24kza82.jpg

James Butler Hickok was about a generation older than Cody (9 yrs). I always thought the hat he favored was something similar to the Stetson Boss of the Plains with the short rounded crown but a much wider brim. I have no idea who made that style of hat. If anyone does I would appreciate knowing. And with such large hats/brims why did they prefer their hats to sit so high on their heads & above the ears?

Jeff Bridges hat from the movie "Wild Bill" appears to be pretty accurate to the original.

qxjedh.jpg
1rcboz.jpg
x4lkz4.jpg

Jack,

In answer to your question about why the old timers wore their hats so far back, I believe they tilted them back or higher when getting their picture taken so as to see the face more clearly, because of the wider brims. My guess is Wild Bill's hat probably is a BOTP, has those dimensions, the crown just looks smaller because it's so far up on his head.
I agree, Jeff Bridges' hat is a pretty good likeness.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Jack,

In answer to your question about why the old timers wore their hats so far back, I believe they tilted them back or higher when getting their picture taken so as to see the face more clearly, because of the wider brims. My guess is Wild Bill's hat probably is a BOTP, has those dimensions, the crown just looks smaller because it's so far up on his head.
I believe they wore a size smaller. I can only tilt a hat like that with a 7 1/8 hat. Can't do it with a 7 1/4 nor a 7 3/8.

I guess you are correct; with the lighting & longer exposure time of photography of the day that probably is the answer. Even Custer seemed to wear his broad brim hat set back or cocked also.

qx555d.jpg
2yun634.jpg
Jack,

The black is hard to photograph especially with just an iPad camera (& dog hair). This is a Ritch Rand 5X Tom Horn from the Old West collection. The crown rakes down from 5.75" in back to 3.25" in the front. The brim width is 3.5" with low sides & a slight packer front & back. The glass beaded hatband was made by a local Indian woman. The colors of the beads didn't come out very well due to the auto exposure but they are black, white, silver & steel blue.

20a3zo5.jpg
15d6rgk.jpg
ezlkic.jpg
1zof5z5.jpg
34zypgy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy