Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Who?

Practically Family
Just started brushing up and working on my circa 1930 Marathon "Wyoming". Covered with dirt, critter damage and appropriately I guess.....wood fire ash.:oops:

This is one hell of a hat......7" Crown and 4 1/4" brim!!!!!!:D

I picked it up a few years ago and it needed isolation and rest....it was actually damp! So slowly dried with dehumidifying pellets and moth balls. Critters are all dead and the sweat and felt are none the worse for wear, which shows to the quality!!!!

It will still show its history when done including the ash stains but this hat will wear its history well.....AND
it is a true 7 1/2..........with the blocking tag to show it!!!!!:p

View attachment 434217
I’d be tempted to put a new sweat band in it and wear it as is.

I’d be tempted to put a new sweat band in it and wear it as is.
Well this is a around a 100 year old hat...so...I will not be wearing it much at all. This will be a display hat.
The Model is paying homage to their (J C Penney's) beginnings in Kemmerer, Wyoming.

I was looking at the logo and it does not say Marathon (but is a Marathon Logo) but simply "Headwear" within the logo where Marathon would be, with "Men and Boys" at the top, may be a precursor to the Marathon branding, so may be older than I thought at first.....

It also is stamped Reg. U S Pat Office.....not sure I have seen that before either....really should be copyright or registered trademark.

Need to photograph the blocking tag if I can....

EDIT: Here is an article from 2014 on J C Penney House Brands....

[/URL]

Of course the pictured store display is not from 1914......

Marathon Hats – 1914​

marathon-hats-1914.jpg

This is how it all started: a line of elegant fedoras that was the first of what would become many in-house brands for Penney, launched a century ago this year.

Last edited:

Who?

Practically Family
EDIT: Here is an article from 2014 on J C Penney House Brands....

[/URL][/URL]

Of course the pictured store display is not from 1914......

Marathon Hats – 1914​

marathon-hats-1914.jpg

This is how it all started: a line of elegant fedoras that was the first of what would become many in-house brands for Penney, launched a century ago this year.
Back in the early 1950s there was a hatter on Asylum Street in Hartford, CT, the name of which has long since erased itself from my memory.

I seem to recall a very similar display in their window, but no doubt without the Marathon branding.

I have no recollection of when they vanished.

A very nice looking hat, which you can bash at your whim. I have a long face, so it probably wouldn’t work for me.
Thank you. If you wear the Rand Gambler you posted you could wear the style. I first saw this pic in a magazine some yrs ago & always wanted to clone one.

312C35B9-0710-44D1-B076-9230BBD850DF.jpeg

Hats like the Resistol HI-7 have enough crown height but have a lot of taper. When I saw the Akubra Woomera I thought it to be a good candidate.

D494520F-DBCC-4124-A544-65F81C0DE656.jpeg

pic credit to Michael R. & his Woomera.

3B2BB47D-0F44-4F3D-BAF9-080FD84399B7.jpeg

G MAN

One of the Regulars
Picked this up on my trip to Orlando, I was looking at a few of the brands at Cavenders but their selection of straw hats was poor and If I liked a hat they wouldn't have my size of 7 3/8. The sales person at Cavenders told me they were having trouble getting stock so I tried the Boot Barn and they had a better selection and the first hat that caught my eye was at the top of the display wall and when the salesman got it down for me it was my size, I put it on and it fit perfectly. I was not looking for an American Hat and the price was more than I had budgeted for but the wife could see how much I wanted it and told me to get it but I said no It's too much and we left empty handed. Two days later I was back. I wore it all around Orlando and even while in the hotel room. I'm home now and It's still on my head.
It's an American Hat Company Tuf Cooper 8810

Attachments

• AHC 8810.jpg
    AHC 8810.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • ACH 8810-2.jpg
    ACH 8810-2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 61

M Brown

A-List Customer
The best grits I’ve ever had in a restaurant was in a Cracker Barrel in Maryland.

The fried catfish is good, and the “southern” fried chicken is very good in our local one.
I tried grits once. And considering I was born and raised in W Tex and we never once had grits on our table, it now seems strange that the place I tried them was in a mom and pop diner.

The scene in My Cousin Vinny where Joe Pesci (VInny) is served grits in the home town diner always cracks me up.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I occasionally have grits and I'm not particularly fond of then. They remind me of mushy corn-flavor cous-cous, and really they're just kind of meh. Maybe I'm just not making them right?

Grits can be a great vehicle for carrying a lot of flavors from sweet to savory. Here in the South a lot of folks go the sweet route at breakfast time but that's never been mine. One of the problems I've found is folks start with an inferior product. If you're using Quaker white grits or a similar product, you're starting from behind. That's just tasteless gruel with no texture. Start with a good quality stone ground, coarse grit and use your imagination but get the salt right. Melting cheeses mix well with grits and sauteing onions and garlic in the pot prior to adding the grits and using a stock to cook the grits can really change the flavor profile, Shrimp and grits is a favorite of mine. McEwen and Sons, here in AL make really good grits in white, yellow, blue and speckled. Bob's Red Mill stone ground grits are widely available and it's a good product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ