Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

I seem to be known as the Akubra guy so I can see how you would think that. This has a nice 3 1/4” brim and if I pop the crown out it is at least 6 1/2” tall. Has a label saying imported fur felt but, by feel, it’s at least a 100% rabbit. Has a softness that makes me think there could be some beaver as well. What’s even better is it fits my Long Oval head shape perfectly without any breaking in. I just hope the sweatband lasts. I got two hats at the same time from the same place and the other ones sweat band shrank, cracked then fell out after a year of hard use. That one is still in storage waiting for me to send it off to be redone.
Johnny
Very likely on the rabbit fur. Langenberg/Beaver at one point pushed “100% Coney” (read ‘rabbit’) as a bit of marketing ploy. None the less they made great hats. And did a huge amount of “white label” work.

Bob and Brent have added a lot of work on Bob’s Langenber/Beaver thread

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/langenberg-beaver-brands.101868/

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very likely on the rabbit fur. Langenberg/Beaver at one point pushed “100% Coney” (read ‘rabbit’) as a bit of marketing ploy. None the less they made great hats. And did a huge amount of “white label” work.

Bob and Brent have added a lot of work on Bob’s Langenber/Beaver thread

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/langenberg-beaver-brands.101868/
Mine is posted on that tread as well. That’s how I found out it was Beaver brand. The picture in the lining is very distinct and you can see it in the first picture on that thread. Company would make small runs of hats made to order for small vendors.
Johnny

I'm a sucker for red liners and hats from the major department store catalogs.

1960s Sears Pilgrim western:

IMG-5759.JPG

IMG-5760.JPG

IMG-5761.JPG

IMG-5762.JPG

IMG-5763.JPG

IMG-5764.JPG

IMG-5765.JPG

IMG-5766.JPG

IMG-5767.JPG

IMG-5768.JPG

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

MisplacedHillbilly

One of the Regulars
View attachment 450928
3X Open Road and some 3X pointed toe gators this evening. Stepped out to hear a short set by Charlie Crockett at a local record shop then swung by the neighborhood Mexican bar & grill for a ribeye and a few Negra Modelos on tap.
Nice combo though I'm not much on pointy toes those look good. I'd love to catch even a short set by Charley Crockett sometime myself, I love his version of Nine Pound Hammer.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
The Gannon Big Four...
With a centerfire crease
One.jpg
Three.jpg
Two.jpg

Four.jpg

The open crown is 6 5/8" After creasing it is about 5 3/4" to the top of the crease. The side is just shy of 4 3/4"

I wanted to roll the brim like the Big Four from the 1930s
BigFour Sample1.jpg

But the brim wasn't having it. Michael said he had trouble getting this hat to have a vintage feel. The crown was just fine but he wasn't kidding about the brim. It is stiffer than my other beaver western. I steamed that thing forever and couldn't get it to hold a roll. This is the best I could get out of it for now
Roll.jpg

I will probably try again after wearing it a bit.

I know 6 5/8" is far from an extra tall crown but just to give you a sense of this big beauty, prior to setting up the centerfire crease, I dry creased a centerfire that had some rake and put a couple of dents in the side.

For all of you tall crown lovers out there (me included)...
Alpha.jpg

The Gannon Big Four...
With a centerfire crease View attachment 452475 View attachment 452476 View attachment 452477
View attachment 452474

The open crown is 6 5/8" After creasing it is about 5 3/4" to the top of the crease. The side is just shy of 4 3/4"

I wanted to roll the brim like the Big Four from the 1930s
View attachment 452478

But the brim wasn't having it. Michael said he had trouble getting this hat to have a vintage feel. The crown was just fine but he wasn't kidding about the brim. It is stiffer than my other beaver western. I steamed that thing forever and couldn't get it to hold a roll. This is the best I could get out of it for now
View attachment 452479

I will probably try again after wearing it a bit.

I know 6 5/8" is far from an extra tall crown but just to give you a sense of this big beauty, prior to setting up the centerfire crease, I dry creased a centerfire that had some rake and put a couple of dents in the side.

For all of you tall crown lovers out there (me included)...
View attachment 452480
Great looking hat. And I think you did a nice job on that curl… even if it did give you trouble

Here is a nice article on Ten Gallon Hats and VERY Likely the reason they are named so.
1663853584841.png

I know a lot of us are aware but thought it a nice mainstream read anyway.......
I understand NO hats were harmed in making the article.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk