Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Stetson One-hundred

EC2A7C26-0B1E-42A5-B9FC-AA8A54388835.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
There are many different configurations, brim width, creases that can be considered "western", so you might keep digging around in the Lounge for ideas. Here are a few westerns without the typical Cattlemen's crease. Even a bowler or a Lords hat can be tweaked to have a western flair.

coachman2.jpg 313971816_493516029469461_7474064936201125883_n.jpg uktv-paddy-considine-suspicions-of-mr-whicher.jpg WRkHNre.jpg 20200727_152412.jpg

Hi, I was thinking before I get an Open Road, I should consider other western hats. Like this one a lot. A google search seems to show it's discontinued.
Most of these hats in this thread are too western for my taste. What are some other brands, other than Stetson? What are some more modest models like the OR?

Hi,

I was thinking before I get an Open Road, I should consider other western hats. Like this one a lot. A google search seems to show it's discontinued.

Most of these hats in this thread are too western for my taste. What are some other brands, other than Stetson? What are some more modest models like the OR?

There are lots of brands. If you’re looking at new hats I don’t know the better brands from the worse. My hat has an open crown of about 6 ½” and a brim width of 3 ½ inches. It didn’t come shaped this way: I took it to open crown and then creased it as shown.

Do you need special steaming equipment? I'm thinking probably just the open road, but the range is similar, with a still modest brim that offers a little better shade, and would consider that if I could flatten the brim a bit. I don't like the really flared up brim. Is there a name for that flared up brim shape?

Any good source of steam will work. A kettle or a steamer that directs the steam is ideal. I think you would be happier starting with a hat that is closer the what you want.

Only you can decide what type of hat will work the best for you. If you don’t want something too cowboy but you want a wider brim I’d suggest you also look at the Stetson Gun Club hats.

The curve of the brim is called the flange. The more curved it is we call the depth of the flange. Deep flanges work better on some styles and also give the fedora’s brim the ability to snap up and down. The flange also gives structure and strength the the brim.

https://stetson.com/products/dune-5x-gun-club-hat-acorn

glider

A-List Customer
By all means, check out the Stetson gun club hats. The Dunn is a hat I have considered several times, it just might be what you want. Another option is a western, you can cut the brim down some and really change the looks. It isn't hard to do, just go slow and use a razor knife or a really good pair of scissors. Remember, you can always take a little more off, but you can't put any back on!!!!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I'd actually like the to do the opposite. Get a cowboy hat yet tone down the western feel. That's if I don't just get the OR which is already a toned down mix of western and fedora.

Maybe I missed it in the current discussion, but to reiterate... While the Open Road has gained the "western" LBJ persona (short brim, cattlemen's crease), part of the reason many here love the vintage hats is, with a little steam, the same hat can be shaped into an array of different styles. Don't be scared of a vintage OR (or 3X or No. 1 Quality models...and some Akubra hats) as they are very versatile and can be found at reasonable prices.

20200124_121708.jpg 20230228_064901.jpg 20230228_064751.jpg 20210413_125412.jpg 20200922_111656.jpg

Who?

Practically Family
Newly arrived Stetson 4X Beaver. The model is “Wagon Wheel Co” and the color is Sahara. The crown is much lower than I’m used to and I haven’t decided if it’s a keeper yet. It’s a generous 7 ¾ and although it’s a standard oval it fits my long oval head well.

View attachment 493623 View attachment 493624 View attachment 493625 View attachment 493626 View attachment 493627

The mottling is due to the felt being damp from a recent rain.
Interesting proportions, I like it.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Newly arrived Stetson 4X Beaver. The model is “Wagon Wheel Co” and the color is Sahara. The crown is much lower than I’m used to and I haven’t decided if it’s a keeper yet. It’s a generous 7 ¾ and although it’s a standard oval it fits my long oval head well.

View attachment 493623 View attachment 493624 View attachment 493625 View attachment 493626 View attachment 493627

The mottling is due to the felt being damp from a recent rain.
You wear it well, Brent. It suits you nicely in my opinion. Love the brim wing shape and colour.

To add to the confusion, Stetson also produced OC hats with dimensions identical to the OR, yet without the designation, they're not officially ORs. As to the Shady Oak, the OR was likely Amon Carter's favorite hat and the Shady Oak has the same dimensions. Due to the large number of hats he gave away, it's been said Carter was Stetson's biggest private customer and it appears they allowed him use of his own lining and labeling of the hats.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ