Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Needless to say, this isn't my hat, but for those who haven't seen it, this is a William F "Buffalo Bill" Cody Carlsbad hat being sold on Etsy, if you've got close to $5K to spare. I'm told the circumference is only about 22 inches, according to a reply from the seller, etc.
The Ray Bentley Collection of Cody artifacts is legit so if it has provenance to that collection then the hat is legitimate too. Here is a pic of the Stetson given to Cody by John B. now in the Cody museum.

502D22E1-E568-4D68-986F-A7A794B467D0.jpeg

Travel being what it was back then (& the demands on Cody’s time), Cody is known to have used legitimate stand-ins & impersonators. Their artifacts turn up too. This is a pic of the good doctor who was among the best impersonators, together with Cody.

F2D8D29F-9530-4514-A346-6476AFEEB6CB.jpeg

Cody had two great-grandsons killed together in a plane crash in 2013. ‘Kit Cody” was a well known collector himself.

https://www.denverpost.com/2013/02/16/buffalo-bills-great-grandsons-die-in-plane-crash/

Popeye Doyle

New in Town
So I’ve always wanted an old west style hat and finally got one. I have a lot of westerns, open roads, cattlemen, etc. But this is now my favorite it’s a Clayton by Bailey Hats. Made in the USA from their Frontier Collection.The only thing I don’t like is it’s wool felt but they treat these with some kind of stiffener/repellent because I’ve had another hat by them for years and it still looks new. It is fully lined and has a very comfortable leather sweat band. The liner is beautiful with a picture of a horse. All in all it’s an outstanding hat.

239D55C1-EB0E-45EA-8447-F6B5F5C38BE2.jpeg

427AB03C-956C-445B-BC50-949CEE7A5F55.jpeg

So I’ve always wanted an old west style hat and finally got one. I have a lot of westerns, open roads, cattlemen, etc. But this is now my favorite it’s a Clayton by Bailey Hats. Made in the USA from their Frontier Collection.The only thing I don’t like is it’s wool felt but they treat these with some kind of stiffener/repellent because I’ve had another hat by them for years and it still looks new. It is fully lined and has a very comfortable leather sweat band. The liner is beautiful with a picture of a horse. All in all it’s an outstanding hat.

View attachment 494984

View attachment 494985

I love that style too. Looks very sharp, and that brim curl is just the ticket. Very nice. Sorry that I can’t answer your question.

Snowman

Practically Family
How hard is it to reshape a brim at home without professional tools or skills change the flange from the style show in the website to whatever this other guy did to his range 6x?

View attachment 494810 View attachment 494811
I haven’t tried to alter the brim on a stiff western, but I would think that with enough steam and patience you could get somewhat of the same effect.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
How hard is it to reshape a brim at home without professional tools or skills change the flange from the style show in the website to whatever this other guy did to his range 6x?

View attachment 494810 View attachment 494811
It's easy. Brims on the more modern vintage Westerns like Resistol Stagecoaches, i.e., are thick felted with a good deal of stiffener. In this instance get the brim good and wet, top and bottom, then shape it and set it aside to dry. I use hot water from the tap to get my brims pliable.

Here's a tall crowned 3X Resistol that I refurbished and restyled. The crown didn't have as much stiffener as the brim so I just misted it damp with water and shaped it.

Attachments

• 1669329563341.jpg
    1669329563341.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 1669484448542.jpg
    1669484448542.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 49

M Brown

A-List Customer
Hot water works great. The hat in my avatar was reshaped with hot water. I pulled the wet felt cone over a wooden, open crown hat block, used a flat wooden spoon to form the brim/crown edge, stringed it, pressed the brim flat with a warm iron, and let it dry to approx 90%.
Once it was almost dry, I formed the final crown and brim shaping and let it dry completely.

Here's a photo of an O'Farrell I received in crumpled, smashed, dirty condition. After blocking and some shaping, I stringed it for drying. It took a couple of days to dry completely and turned out great.
8E355057-0CCB-41FC-8829-350098C53CDB_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
A gallant effort Brent. I like that Gannon a lot! (Not as much as Alan's though ... :D )

What is the source of the hat body on yours?

It’s a Winchester 100% beaver. It’s the standard western weight, but the crown was pounced thin and it has a very vintage feel to it. I have a 6oz (lightweight) beaver hat body on order from Winchester via Gannon but Winchester is running very slow with some felts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21