Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Mm25

Practically Family
Something I came across today. I hope its the name and not the felt source. ;)
844CE484-A43B-4F06-BA76-49194D3FCD81.jpeg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all for the warm welcome back.
I did stopped taking pictures of me so don't expect daily posts from me.
Still if you are my friend on facebook, you can see one of the Tom Mix Stetsons near a giant billboard made of tiles of the extint PAN AM. It's one of the two still existing in Portugal and the county mayor is trying to make this one a national monument.
I'll probably post it here when I return home since I'm in the LOAD ZX Museum this weekend to help on a event we are going to do. Some how it's related to USA since the museum covers the computers made by Timex Computer Corp (USA) and Timex of Portugal.

Popeye Doyle

New in Town
Who among us has the "nerve" to wear a Stetson Tom Mix in public? That's a whoooooole lotta hat.

I'm a big dude --like NFL Interior lineman big, so I already draw a certain amount of attention (unwanted mostly), but I'm afraid that sporting a full-blown Tom Mix will give me that record-scratch entrance we have seen in so many movies. You know the one --the music stops and everyone turns toward the door? I'd probably like to avoid that, but I really love that hat. Thus is my dilemma.

Picture would help. :)
I would wear it. I like when a room stops and all eyes are on me. I guess I’m a little vain.

Who among us has the "nerve" to wear a Stetson Tom Mix in public? That's a whoooooole lotta hat.

I'm a big dude --like NFL Interior lineman big, so I already draw a certain amount of attention (unwanted mostly), but I'm afraid that sporting a full-blown Tom Mix will give me that record-scratch entrance we have seen in so many movies. You know the one --the music stops and everyone turns toward the door? I'd probably like to avoid that, but I really love that hat. Thus is my dilemma.

Picture would help. :)

There are a few of us here who own and wear Stetson Tom Mix hats. It’s not a blend into the crowd hat and it’s not the hat I’d choose for every occasion, but it’s not difficult to get comfortable under it. I just wish I could find one from the era when Tom Mix was making his films.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Excuse the wonky brim. I also need a longer arm for big hat selfies.

View attachment 496830

View attachment 496833

View attachment 496832

View attachment 496831

That's a majestic hat, suits you perfectly, you wear it well.

I might as well post my recently modified Akubra Sombrero, I think it can confidently take its place in this thread now. It's not a million mile away from the Tom Mix, though I've since lowered the height at the back of the crease from my original bash, I'm pretty short and it just looked a bit exaggerated with so much height.

I've been wearing it a lot since replacing the band and cutting it down slightly and reshaping it, now it feels better on my head so I can wear it with more confidence. I think you can get away with wearing almost anything if you're confident doing so, nothing worse that walking out of the house wearing something in which you feel even slightly self-conscious.

IMG_3719.JPG

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
It's easy. Brims on the more modern vintage Westerns like Resistol Stagecoaches, i.e., are thick felted with a good deal of stiffener. In this instance get the brim good and wet, top and bottom, then shape it and set it aside to dry. I use hot water from the tap to get my brims pliable.
This is the approach I am getting ready to try... "Steam" hasn't helped me a great deal...

~shoes~

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
This is the approach I am getting ready to try... "Steam" hasn't helped me a great deal...

~shoes~
Steam from a tea pot won't get the results that we want as far as these thick and stiff Western brims are concerned. Get your brim good and wet, top and bottom and dab off the excess with a paper towel. After that, shape your brim the way you want and set it aside to dry. Good luck.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Not a Tom Mix but a reposting of this Knox Stagecoach refurb that everyone's already seen. It's a pretty big hat with a 7 inch open crown and a 4 1/2 inch brim with a kettle curl...

Is there a way to post you tube videos from our phones rather than from our desk computers? I used to be able to post pictures from "Post Image" and videos from YouTube from my phone but not anymore.

Attachments

• Knox-Stagecoach-14-A.jpg
    Knox-Stagecoach-14-A.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Knox-Stagecoach-10-A.jpg
    Knox-Stagecoach-10-A.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member