Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

GreatBritishWesterner

New in Town
An hour-long drive out into the farmlands last weekend hooked me up with a nice lady disposing of some family estate goods. I came away with a New West Bailey, and so far I have no clue as to a model name. It’s a handsome hat, with nothing on the band but New West from Bailey, and the name of some long-gone store in Wyoming. The stock braided-leather hatband was nice enough, except it fastened together with the most hideous yellow-metal "bra-clasp" imaginable. A 7/8” horsehair was ordered and has taken its place. A very pretty drive resulting in the acquisition of a nice, if unspectacular, vintage western.

View attachment 594480 View attachment 594481
It reminds me of Matt Dillon's hat.

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
Since Resistol already coined the name Stagecoach I guess I'll have to refer to it as a Western Flat Top Bowler.

Western Flat Top Bowler .jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's a couple of old school Westerns that I refurbished. The lighter one is a 3X Resistol and the other one is a Knox Stagecoach. Both sport a Montana Pinch with a Mule Kick in the back. The Knox has a 7 inch open crown and a 4 1/2 inch brim width with a 1/4 pencil curl.

Before and After pictures on the Knox:
Screenshot-20240227-074634-2.png

Screenshot-20240227-074652-2.png

Screenshot-20240227-074526-2.png

Screenshot-20240227-074504-2.png

Screenshot-20240227-074444-2.png

3X Resistol. 6 1/2 inch open crown with a 4 inch brim width.
Montana-Resistol-3-A.jpg

Montana-Pinch-Resistol.jpg

Montana-Pinch-Resistol-2.jpg

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
Thanks for being the first to step up TJ!

The transformation of the Knox hat was nothing short of miraculous.
Everyone has different taste in their styles of hat shapes, creases and profiling.
All I can say, from my point of view, is the styling on your hats is some of the best I've seen.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for being the first to step up TJ!

The transformation of the Knox hat was nothing short of miraculous.
Everyone has different taste in their styles of hat shapes, creases and profiling.
All I can say, from my point of view, is the styling on your hats is some of the best I've seen.
Thank you buddy. I appreciate that.

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
Planter hat (repro from the monkey wards catalog) Maker - The Great Plains Hat Company.

Last edited:

GreatBritishWesterner

New in Town
Bell Crown hat made by Tim Bender of TP&H Trading Co. with a pencil roll and black bound edge, 2" sweat band, blue satin liner, plus a black leather hat band made by John Cody. Mid-1800's style if my memory serves me well.
They also make that same hat on The Last Best West and it's just as nice.

I mostly buy my hats from them all the time and I usually go for the Golden Age Hollywood Westerns from the 1950s and 1960s as that is where I take major inspiration from them costume-wise along with the odd 1960s and 1970s Spaghetti Western flavouring added to the mix but still remaining true to their historic roots while also keeping the same romanticised side intact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran