Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Slim Pickens, (Major Kong), sporting a Western in Dr. Strangelove, (1964), one of the best dark comedies ever made. A lot of great actors in this one.

dr-strangelove-1964-directed-by-stanley-kubrick-slim-pickens-plays-commandant-t-j-king-kong-b-u-L-Q1.jpg

Dr-Strangelove-Slim-Pickens.jpg

tumblr-inline-pgupwvti-Dy1u5ba0e-1280.jpg

WAHOOO! WAHOOO!
strangelove-1.jpg

VoodooSan

Practically Family

VoodooSan

Practically Family
Another western rolled in yesterday, thanks to Etsy. This one’s an early 60s #1 Quality Stetson, from Clay Stapley’s Western Wear in Phoenix, AZ. Stapley’s was in business, nearly as I can ascertain, from at least the early 1960s, to 1980. Despite my best research efforts, I’ve been unable to assign a model name to this one, but it’s got a ton of identifiers, and I know what I personally believe it is. It’s pale green in color, with a 3.5” bound-edge brim, a 6” crown, and a 3-cord band. The brim has clearly never been anything but an almost-flat shape. There’s only one #1 Quality hat in Stetson’s late-1950s lineup that had all these characteristics: the measurements, the nearly-flat bound-edge brim, and the 3-cord band, and that was its San Fran. Whatever Stetson called this model (if indeed, they named it at all in the early 60s), I believe that they based it on that venerable model. Because of what I feel it is, I doubt I’ll ever re-shape it in any way. I’ll just have to get used to that high crown. (Right now, I feel a little like Lee Horsley in Paradise with it on.) :D:D

Stetson #1 Q 1.jpg
Stetson #1 Q 2.jpg
Stetson #1 Q 3.jpg
Stetson #1 Q 4.jpg
Stetson #1 Q 5.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Another western rolled in yesterday, thanks to Etsy. This one’s an early 60s #1 Quality Stetson, from Clay Stapley’s Western Wear in Phoenix, AZ. Stapley’s was in business, nearly as I can ascertain, from at least the early 1960s, to 1980. Despite my best research efforts, I’ve been unable to assign a model name to this one, but it’s got a ton of identifiers, and I know what I personally believe it is. It’s pale green in color, with a 3.5” bound-edge brim, a 6” crown, and a 3-cord band. The brim has clearly never been anything but an almost-flat shape. There’s only one #1 Quality hat in Stetson’s late-1950s lineup that had all these characteristics: the measurements, the nearly-flat bound-edge brim, and the 3-cord band, and that was its San Fran. Whatever Stetson called this model (if indeed, they named it at all in the early 60s), I believe that they based it on that venerable model. Because of what I feel it is, I doubt I’ll ever re-shape it in any way. I’ll just have to get used to that high crown. (Right now, I feel a little like Lee Horsley in Paradise with it on.) :D:D

View attachment 612230 View attachment 612231 View attachment 612232 View attachment 612233 View attachment 612234
Is it as soft as it looks?

You finally found one in your size, good to see ! It suits you, and looks great, shape- and size-wise. I'm still not sold on the band, though, but that's just me.

I’ve had this hat for a couple years. I’ve been looking for a second hat that I want to shape completely differently. I’m not a big fan of the band either, but this is one of the nicer ones I’ve seen.

VoodooSan

Practically Family
Just scored this earlier today at The Boise Flea, a monthly gathering of over 100 vendors, held in the parking lot of Albertsons Stadium on the BSU campus.

It’s a mid-to-late 70s Resistol Hi-7, in pristine condition. It’s got a 4” brim, and the crown’s 5.25” at the front bash, and 6” at the sides, with a 6-cord band. It’s never been dirtied, never been smooshed, never been nibbled on. It still has its feather AND its little metal Resistol hatband pin. I got a SMOKIN’ deal on this (about what the shipping for such a hat would have cost on the bay) and am giddily delighted.

Sorry for showing the interior of the garage, but lighting this time of day is hideous, and I couldn’t wait until tomorrow to share this. :D
Resistol Hi-7 1.jpg
Resistol Hi-7 2.jpg

Just scored this earlier today at The Boise Flea, a monthly gathering of over 100 vendors, held in the parking lot of Albertsons Stadium on the BSU campus.

It’s a mid-to-late 70s Resistol Hi-7, in pristine condition. It’s got a 4” brim, and the crown’s 5.25” at the front bash, and 6” at the sides, with a 6-cord band. It’s never been dirtied, never been smooshed, never been nibbled on. It still has its feather AND its little metal Resistol hatband pin. I got a SMOKIN’ deal on this (about what the shipping for such a hat would have cost on the bay) and am giddily delighted.

Sorry for showing the interior of the garage, but lighting this time of day is hideous, and I couldn’t wait until tomorrow to share this. :D
View attachment 613578 View attachment 613579
Great find Mark!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic