Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western hats

ideaguy

One Too Many
I've got a pile of Westerns. Most of them will be going to the block-starting with a Bailey 100X in a 7 3/8, NWT amazing hat; lotsa Stetsons, most decent vintage NOS, Resistols, etc. If anyone's got an interest in larger sizes(7 3/8-
7 1/2), and all in lighter colors, please PM me or email me soon, as I'm purging the collection.
Keeping a couple- tried a Naptha bath on one; put hat in a lge.plastic bag, contractor's grade, filled it with naptha, agitated it (and me), sealed it shut pretty well, and periodically gave it a shake and a tumble. Let sit overnight in 40 ish degree weather, but in a plastic nbin, so temp might have been a little higher. Took hat out next day, air dried (with good breeze), and the hat smells of Linseed Oil. No mistake. I'd been using linseed oil for over 20yrs as a painter, and the hat smells like one of my bad paintings. Anyone have this happen to them??
Do get in touch if you are at all looking for Westerns. These are the best I could buy at the time, and off they're going, plan on listing Sat.
:eek:

woodsie

Banned
Deadwood Lives

RBH,
Best show on television ever:eusa_clap I've been looking for a Bullock Hat for two years, and the closest is a Bailey Marfa. Much to my pleasant surprise I nabbed a larger than usual black Stetson Homburg, and a couple of days ago discovered with the felt being pliable, I could work it into a Bullock clone:D So now Swearingen better toe the line. Love the converted OR.
WBH

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Here's my Stetson 4X Beaver. Seems like the color is called "Pecan." This one is only about five years old. I thought it was still in production, but I can't find it listed. I like it because, even brand new, it had very little stiffener.

P1040299.jpg

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hey y'all,

Now here's something that caught my attention:

J.T.Marcus said:
Here's My Charlie 1 Horse 10X. (Yes, it's a contemporary HATCO.)

P1040295.jpg

It's one of those hats I like better every time I wear it!

P1040293.jpg

You know what, JT? The Charlie 1 Horse looks super on you. Absolutely first-rate. :eusa_clap

But if I'd have seen the hat in a store, I'd have passed it right by. [huh]

First, I'd have thought it looked silly. And second, I'd have imagined that no one would look good wearing it. Maybe the first one would have been more-or-less right. But the second one would have been dead wrong.

As I often say, there are hats that rank as works of art, and then there are hats that enhance the look of their wearer. And those two sets of hats don't always overlap.

Of course, it probably helps that you're one of those lucky Fedora Loungers who manage to shine in all the many hats you wear in your photos! :)

Cheers,
Mark

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wish I could find a still on the web of Kurt Russell in
John Carpenter's "The Thing". Now that's how you
wear a Western hat. ;)

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Howdy,

J.T.Marcus said:
tandmark, We all need a little ego stroking, once in a while. You, my friend, just handed out about a month's worth. My humble thanks.

Quite welcome, but don't you get a big head over it now. If you do, your hats won't fit any more! lol

Cheers,
Mark

One of the Regulars
Speaking of western hats, I saw a glimpse of a cowboy at the CFR picking up his hat on TV yesterday and it looked for all the world like he had a hard hat type headband in it. You know the type that comes down at the back to grasp the back of your head a little more securely. I've been googling to try and find pics but no luck so far.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
007, It sounds like this is what you saw:

http://www.strattonhats.com/f42.html

It's commonly called a Sheriff's or Lawman style. You can barely see it in the photo, but the sides of the brom have oblong grommets for a "chin" strap to go through. Instead of wearing the strap under the chin, some fit it around the lower part of the back of the head. Marine Drill Sargeants do the same with straps on their campaign hats.

One of the Regulars
GentlemanFarmer said:

A lot of rough stock riders (broncs and bulls) will pull down the back part of their hat's sweatband so the hat will go down further on their head and hopefully, not get bucked off their head and possibly get stomped on by the bull or bronc or the pick-up man's horse.

That could be it. He was picking up his hat which was sitting in the dirt on it's crown. Bending the sweatband down might give the look I saw.

Definitely wasn't a strap like that scary looking DI is wearing, JT, this was closer to the crown and like I say the hat was sitting on it's crown so a strap like that would have dropped down inside the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay