Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western Leather Jacket

majormajor

One Too Many
Just spotted this on the Denimbro site.

Very nice!

photo1ixcr.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
I must have missed something. I fail to see anything about that jacket that makes it "western." A pointy yoke for me does not equal western. Frank

frussell

One Too Many
Maybe it was shortened at some point, and the bottom buckle added? For me, I base "cowboy flavor" on something an actual cowboy would wear, and that bottom buckle setup = getting hung up on your saddle horn and having a wreck. I've had short jackets and vests get hung up while I was working horseback, and it's about as much fun as bending so low that your stampede string on your hat gets looped over the horn. Cowboy-costume flavor is another matter. Lose the bottom buckle and give it about 4 more inches in length, and it's pretty cool looking. Definitely cooler than the fringe jackets most non-Westerners consider "western." Does the pointed back yoke on a Teamster make it "western," or do only front side yokes count? Frank

frussell

One Too Many
Now THAT jacket needs to be shortened up to the first button or so. Major - from my biased point of view only, a "western, or cowboy" jacket should be something that evolved from cowboy function more than Hollywood style. Something an old-time cowboy (or modern day one) would wear to work in. I've seen lots of your denim jackets you've posted on real westerners, both past and present, and owned some hand-me-down versions myself when I was young. Today's "western" fashion seems to stem more from Nashville style than actual horseman practicality. I'm sure others would disagree. My taste comes from the way I was brought up, and the old school cowboys I've been surrounded by my whole life. Maybe my confusion comes from the use of "cowboy" and "western" interchangeably these days. For me, they are two separate things. Having said all that, if the jacket you posted was longer, without a buckle, and in my size, I'd be all over it, as I do think it's a neat look. Frank

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Frank, I think that you misunderstood that Major's example of a "Western" jacket was Western England. :D lol

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Just the women....

This is a bit of friendly banter between Texas and Oklahoma. IXL has pointed out before that if one looks at a US map, Texas and Oklahoma appear as one massive state separated by the Red River. The Texas panhandle appears on the map to be a western extension of Oklahoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats