Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHAT ABOUT BERETS?

matei

One Too Many
I've got two berets, and I wear them occasionally. Sometimes I can pull it off, other times... my wife gives me "the look", which means I didn't quite pull it off. ;)

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Only time I have ever wore a Beret is as a Rover (scouts Canada age 18-27) when we were out and about and did not feel the uniform was appropriate. Then again they were bright red x-military berets so it was more a uniform then a fashion statement. Myself, being of Scottish decent, cant pull the look off. I leave them to the university students, military, and French:) . But if they look good on you, go for it. Remember fashion is subjective.
Johnny

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I like them but don't wear them

I got two deadstock basque berets from a French seller on Ebay. Unfortunately neither fits and they were dishearteningly expensive. So they sit on the hall tree, beautiful and unworn. I think such a fate is doubly hard for them, being French.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
As a French abstract artist I always wear my beret when I paint...

frenchpainter100.jpg

scotrace said:
I got two deadstock basque berets from a French seller on Ebay. Unfortunately neither fits and they were dishearteningly expensive. So they sit on the hall tree, beautiful and unworn. I think such a fate is doubly hard for them, being French.
Sounds like good Ebay candidates!

feltfan

LeFonque said:
I have to admit to having a like for mens Berets. What do others think?
TO OLD
TO FAT
TO SLOW
Too ungrammatical.

Berets are handy, if you happen to look
okay in them. They are easy to stuff in
the suitcase or pocket.

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
They are indeed the perfect travelhat. easy to pack, good in the rain and cold. also, the cheap wool berets can do the trick as well as a hoguey most of the time.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Funny, has anyone ever noticed how the kind of hat you are wearing helps to define a mood or attitude? I just feel different when I'm wearing a beret. When I'm out in one, I am definitely conscious of the fact that I'm wearing a beret, as opposed to a fedora or even a tweed cap. Just puts me in a different frame of mind...

I love wearing a beret, they are perfect for traveling or wearing out on the town when you're headed to places that won't easily accommodate a fedora. Warm in the winter, and easy to just fold and stash in a pocket.

I'm sure I'll always have one in my hat repertoire.

johnnycanuck

Travel Hat? Ok I will give you points for it being compact, but there is nothing I hate more then being on vacation and having a sunburn. I was out and about in London in September a few years ago and got scorched. Stupid me I left my travel hat, a Tilley, at home that day. London! September! Hot and Sunny! Inconceivable! But back to our scouting lessons, "Be Prepared". To me, its like my Bowler, its an evening hat once the sun goes down. That's just my opinion though.
Johnny

Michael D

Familiar Face
I lived in Spain over 30 years ago and while there I started collecting and wearing hats. One of them was beret. I wore it a lot and the Spanish teens in the metro would give me a hard time about it but I still liked it and wore it.

About a month ago I bought a big black basque beret (how do you like that for alliteration?) from Ron Greer a photographer from Seattle (I think) who sells them from his website. It's pretty nice, good quality, black wool felt, floppy (the basque style). (Good price too, $30). I put it on and thought I looked pretty silly at first but I messed with it and now I think it looks pretty good on me. I pull the felt toward the front so it is kind of shaped like cap then I do a basque thing and pull the sides down so there is a fold in the center, looking kind of like a peaked roof. ^

Oh BTW I pulled out the old beret and boy it must have shrunk (or my head is fatter ;) ) because it is way too small and looks very silly now. I'll just keep it as a keepsake with my other Spanish memorabilia like the flamenco hat I have which coincidentally is also too small now. [huh] :)

Mike

Michael D

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
Basque berets shrink like the dickens.

Then I guess it's a good thing that I got a 12 1/4 inch one.

BTW my old beret is 30 years old. It has probably shrunk but my head is fatter too. :)

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo