Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about us naturally curly girls?

MissDolly

New in Town
crwritt said:
Hi Miss Dolly.. I guess I was mentioned here as a person who had a middy cut. Maybe there is a little confusion.
Mine is not quite a middy cut, it probably has more short layering.
I was kind of asking the same question you are: how does a middy cut look on natural curls, without setting and styling?

My hair is thick, fairly coarse, and the curls are about what you could achieve with a 1" curling iron. On the Naturally Curly site, I'd be a 2c wavy.
I typically take care of my hair with the CG method, washing with conditioner, scrunching in gel, air drying.
I would like to try the middy cut once my hair has grown out a little.
I have also had the deva cut in the past. It certainly makes the best of
natural curls.

Really, the middy is pretty much a long-layered u shape haircut. If you asked
your Deva stylist for a u shape in the back, you could achieve it.

Thank you for all of your help Crwrit! I am a 3b on the cg scale. I will discuss with my stylist the U shape next time I see her. I have a heck of a time trying to do pin curls. If you don't mind my asking, how do you deal with the curling issue??
thanks so much for your help!!!

Dolly

SheBear74

Practically Family
MissDolly said:
Thank you for all of your help Crwrit! I am a 3b on the cg scale. I will discuss with my stylist the U shape next time I see her. I have a heck of a time trying to do pin curls. If you don't mind my asking, how do you deal with the curling issue??

Dolly

Oops that was me lol! So what is the "Deva" cut?

MissDolly

New in Town
SheBear74 said:
Oops that was me lol! So what is the "Deva" cut?
The Deva Cut is really different than what most places offer. First of all it is a dry cut so that they don't take off too much of your hair due to shrinkage. My stylist makes large finger curls in my dry to slight damp hair. Then she looks at the shape of all of the curls and slides her scissors down the curl to carve it down to the shape she wants (think of it running an open scissors down a rope, cutting as it goes). So, she isn't cutting layers -she is cutting each curl.
I switched to the Deva Curl method of caring for curly hair due to how dry my hair always got. Their products are water soluable, so you can't use silicone based products since they won't wash out. But, since silicone is the main culprit to drying out your hair it all works out in the end. If you are curious about all of this you should check out the naturally curly.com forum.

Hope I didn't bore you by going on for too long:eek:

SheBear74

Practically Family
MissDolly said:
The Deva Cut is really different than what most places offer. First of all it is a dry cut so that they don't take off too much of your hair due to shrinkage. My stylist makes large finger curls in my dry to slight damp hair. Then she looks at the shape of all of the curls and slides her scissors down the curl to carve it down to the shape she wants (think of it running an open scissors down a rope, cutting as it goes). So, she isn't cutting layers -she is cutting each curl.
I switched to the Deva Curl method of caring for curly hair due to how dry my hair always got. Their products are water soluable, so you can't use silicone based products since they won't wash out. But, since silicone is the main culprit to drying out your hair it all works out in the end. If you are curious about all of this you should check out the naturally curly.com forum.

Hope I didn't bore you by going on for too long:eek:

Thanks! I wish I had either consistently curly or consistently straight hair, mine is curly in spots, and just kinda wavy in others...

crwritt

One Too Many
MissDolly said:

Dolly

I have the best luck with hot rollers, but I haven't used them since my last cut.
I didn't like the pincurls either. For me, with hot rollers, I would use them the day after washing and air drying, comb the hair smooth, set with the hot rollers, arrange with fingers (no combing and brushing for me!) pin in place as necessary, then use a good amount of hairspray.
Some of the ladies here have good luck with the sponge rollers. You may have to try various setting methods to get the effect you want.

D

Deleted member 12480

hello gals.
this will probably go against everything you've ever believed about your hair but if you're ever sitting around the house and don't have anywhere you need to be try this out.

after you've washed your hair, towel dry it, not rubbing it but squeezing and patting it until its damp.

then get a big blob of gooey type hair product, that will make it less 'cripsy' (eugh)

then as it air dries, gently brush it out. brush gently and be very careful obviously so as not to hurt your hair, but once you've got it all smoothed out its a lot easier to keep brushing it. (try an afro comb!!)

then as it dries keep brushing it down.
I get a very sleek veronica lake-y loose curl that is flat on the top and curled at the bottom and very similar to the result of a set.

i usually do this when i haven't the will to do a pincurl set.
if you've nowhere to be - just try it.

(especially as i want to see if it works on anyone else!!)

my hair also got loads better just by being a bit nicer to it.
If you do a pincurl set it means you don't have to wash it for at least to days, because having the natural oils there makes it shiny and healthier.

Since i stopped washing it, stopped wetting and pincurling every night, stopped any form of heat styling, i've got a much stronger head of hair.

Bits don't break off and fall down my back anymore lol!
honestly - its the first time i've had shiny hair in my life!

xxxxx

crwritt

One Too Many
deleteduser said:
hello gals.
this will probably go against everything you've ever believed about your hair but if you're ever sitting around the house and don't have anywhere you need to be try this out.

after you've washed your hair, towel dry it, not rubbing it but squeezing and patting it until its damp.

then get a big blob of gooey type hair product, that will make it less 'cripsy' (eugh)

then as it air dries, gently brush it out. brush gently and be very careful obviously so as not to hurt your hair, but once you've got it all smoothed out its a lot easier to keep brushing it. (try an afro comb!!)

I get a very sleek veronica lake-y loose curl that is flat on the top and curled at the bottom and very similar to the result of a set.

If you do a pincurl set it means you don't have to wash it for at least to days, because having the natural oils there makes it shiny and healthier.

Since i stopped washing it, stopped wetting and pincurling every night, stopped any form of heat styling, i've got a much stronger head of hair.

Bits don't break off and fall down my back anymore lol!
honestly - its the first time i've had shiny hair in my life!

xxxxx

Its great that you have found a way that works for your hair. What gooey product are you using? Gel or serum?

D

Deleted member 12480

i'd say its kind of serum.

I believe its called 'styling creme' but its literally as opposed to gel or something chemically and watery, its thick, sticky and well 'gooey' really is the best word to describe it.
xxx

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
Annie Pancake, can you post some pics of your 'do done with your instructions? i remember you posting a few weeks ago about brushing through so i tried it......and it was a holy disaster! frizz, frizz and yet more frizz, looked dry and nasty at the ends and greasy at the roots. needed another wash the day after which i was NOT impressed with!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
4741070619_e70aba7389.jpg

Julius8122

New in Town
I have super curly hair (it's both 3b and 3c on naturallycurly) and struggled almost all my life with frizzy, unmanageable hair. About 8 years ago I switched to Pantene Pro-V Shampoo and Conditioner for Curly Hair and it's made a huge difference in my hair. I used to have very long hair that I would dye all the time and that ruined it. I haven't died my hair in a couple years and then had my stylist cut it off. She thinned my hair by razoring instead of with thinning sheers. My hair is so soft and touchable...I don't need any product at all!
Here's my secret:
I wash and condition my hair every day. I leave the conditioner on while I do my shower things and then use a wide tooth comb to comb the conditioner through my hair before I rinse it out. I do a final rinse with cold water. Once a week I wash my hair then rinse my hair with vinegar water (apple cider is my preferred vinegar but anything works including balsamic) and then condition it as normal. I wrap a towel around my hair and leave it for about 10 minutes (if I towel dry it, my hair tends to frizz). I put the same conditioner back in my hair, nickel size amounts at a time. I put it on the top, middle, and bottom layers of my hair and comb it through briefly. I either let it air dry at this stage or I section off parts of my hair and do finger curls and let them dry. I pin the curls back while they are still wet and let them airdry - this is how I get away without doing pincurls. I'm trying to include a picture of my hair with just the finger curls, without any styling. This keeps the damage to a minimum and controls the frizz.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XIovbWc0KDL0GlyeoHqbxd-U8m09BubjuZWLi-35mBA?feat=directlink

crwritt

One Too Many
I hope you don't mind me reposting your photo
2010-09-19%2017.56.18-1.jpg

You have some pretty ringlets!
M grandmother had hair as curly as yours,(and red) and managed it with finger curls like you describe when she was a girl. She had the help of her sister . Of course, since she was born in 1900, when the 20's came along, she was away at college and couldn't cope with waist length hair, so she bobbed it.
I don't have quite the tight curl you do, (mine is 2c/3a)but it is thick, curly, and fairly coarse. I find that if I keep it well conditioned, I can get through several days without going through the entire washing routine. I wet my fingers in the morning and push it in to shape.
I was wondering what shampoo and conditioner, etc. you are using and why you feel you must wash it daily?

Julius8122

New in Town
I was wondering what shampoo and conditioner, etc. you are using and why you feel you must wash it daily?

Thanks for the compliment! I never get tired of those. LOL
I have used Pantene Pro-V exclusively for the past 7 or 8 years. I've bounced around their product line but I always go back to their curly shampoo and conditioner. I find that my hair needs the heavy conditioner that Pantene provides. I have to wash every day for two reasons - 1: I leave a small bit of conditioner in my hair and use that exclusively as my product and it starts to get nasty after a few days and 2: My hair can go two days between washings but it isn't as attractive the second day. It just doesn't behave like it should...it fro's, frizzballs and poofs all over the place!

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
deleteduser: after you've washed your hair, towel dry it, not rubbing it but squeezing and patting it until its damp.

*I agree with deleteduser. I've been doing my hair this way for several years now and it has always worked out nicely for me. My hair is Veronica Lake length with bangs to my nose. And I find washing it once a week and using Tresemme anti-frizz secret smoothing creme, to be the perfect trick.

Last edited:

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Frizz fest

Thought I would post my woes here since I have naturally curly hair and have blamed frizz on the curls since childhood.

I used rag/foam rollers last night, used smoothing cream and a setting lotion as usual. Took out the curls this morning and started brushing like mad. 30 min later, I get this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photocheek/5334049518/

If I really work at it, I can get maybe a small wave around my hand that stays for a bit...but there's lots of static, obviously lots of frizz, and not much bounce at all. What did I do? I was about to give up on the brushing because it just seemed to make it worse, but everyone says 'keep brushing, keep brushing'. It might have improved a little bit, but I've had 5-10 min brushing sessions throughout the day and they've not made any real difference. I've got plastic bristle brushes. Would boar bristle be better? Help, please.

crwritt

One Too Many
Thought I would post my woes here since I have naturally curly hair and have blamed frizz on the curls since childhood.

I used rag/foam rollers last night, used smoothing cream and a setting lotion as usual. Took out the curls this morning and started brushing like mad. 30 min later, I get this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photocheek/5334049518/

If I really work at it, I can get maybe a small wave around my hand that stays for a bit...but there's lots of static, obviously lots of frizz, and not much bounce at all. What did I do? I was about to give up on the brushing because it just seemed to make it worse, but everyone says 'keep brushing, keep brushing'. It might have improved a little bit, but I've had 5-10 min brushing sessions throughout the day and they've not made any real difference. I've got plastic bristle brushes. Would boar bristle be better? Help, please.
My first reaction to this is, stop brushing your hair dry before you do some real damage! If you want to keep trying
to brush it smooth you need to add something like pomade, frizz cream, even a little olive oil and don't "brush like crazy".Be gentle to your hair, you have beautiful curls, you need to work with them, not fight them.The underlayer in this picture looks like you've smoothed it quite a bit.

MissViolet777

New in Town
Using a brush will mess up your curl pattern. Comb and arrange your hair with a wide tooth comb while it's wet (in the shower is a great place), and when it's dry, shake your curls and/or use your fingers to arrange them. I also recommend the book "Curl Talk" by Ouidad. Lots of fantastic advice in it.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
MissViolet, I agree with everything you've said about messing up curl pattern and only touching my curls when wet - when I am wearing my hair naturally (aka present era). But that is so not vintage looking on me, however. I own Curl Talk and have utilized many of the tips there for years because they really are the best way to get curls to look gorgeous. But my curls are not sleek, shiny, and/or bouncy and glamorous - like the 40s styles were. My question about the frizz is aimed at getting a vintage style out of what I have. How do I take 3b/3c curls and smooth them into something polished, manageable, wavy, and frizz-free?

If I brush my hair while it's air-drying (or during a blow dry even), I get a nice head full of frizz. Think African-American hair that's been blown dry. Every strand of hair having frizz down the entire length, not just at the ends like some less-curly people experience. I can finger curl my wet locks (and often do for a natural look), and they dry in lovely spirals. And yes, the more moisturizing (such as leave-in conditioner), the better for the natural spiral curl look. But I have yet to see spiral ropes of hair in any 1940s photographs or period piece.

My successes to date have been either with a heat set of some kind - smoothing out the hair shaft and curling it at the same time. It's actually been very much like what African-American hair has to go through - the natural curl is straightened out and then the entire piece of hair is arranged/set in a curl until the next wash. (Another reason I despise damp weather.) I've had somewhat successful wet sets, but it takes a great deal of brushing once dry to get even close to smooth hair, and as the earlier photo demonstrates, sometimes it's just not possible. The general consensus seems to be that with enough brushing, anyone can have curls form into smooth waves, one just has to ride through the frizzies and not give up. I'm wondering if I'm doing something very wrong, or if that 'just keep brushing' suggestion doesn't apply to someone like me with baby fine, tight curls.

I have learned some things about my hair - letting it dry naturally and then brushing is a disaster because the natural curl pattern is very tight and getting hair into a wave pattern is impossible in such a small 'S' (think like braiding hair wet and then letting it out once dry). Setting it into curls can work as it 'resets' the natural pattern into something else (as long as it stays dry, that is), but I still fight frizz horribly and sometimes lose to it. Feeling very discouraged as I have gone from hating my curls as a teen, to embracing them as an adult, and back to frustration again as I cannot find a way to make what I have on my head look like anything that fits into a single era during the last 2 centuries.

So, my questions are: What are other curly girls doing to get their curls to look vintage 40s? What kind of brush is best to smooth and de-frizz naturally curly hair when styling vintage 40s - boar bristle or plastic? As they style in 40s fashion, what kind of products do girls with naturally curly hair use, and when? And what about pomades? I get nice smoothing from a pomade/wax, but when I use it after a brush out, it quickly ruins the curl and I have to go with rolls (which is ok but I'd like an option). Plus, I have to wash my hair all over again after using a pomade because there's no way it's going to do anything after that much brushing and arranging to form into anything after. (I've been using Layrite water soluble at this point.)

D

Deleted member 12480

Hii! I'm resurrecting this thread :) First of all i want to say that I don't have majorly curly hair, i mean it curls very readily but now it's long it's not overly tight. for smoother curls I wash, condition and then brush gently. While wet, I section off a piece of hair, brush gently with a boar-bristle brush and smooth into a pincurl. then I wrap up in a silk scarf and sleep on it. then when completely dry I brush over my palm with my boar-bristle brush. Mine has plastic bristles too, so it 'cuts' through the thickness of my hair. hope that might help?? xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner