What Aero jacket is this?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by whataboutalifetime, Dec 3, 2021.

1. whataboutalifetime

whataboutalifetime New in Town

Hi Loungers,

I recently scored a super nice Aero jacket online. Brand new for around $500. But I can't decide what model is this. Photos attached. It is showing Cafe Racer on the tag, but apparently, it is not.
    So how do you think? Is it a Sheene? And do you think it is authentic? The hide is pretty thick and similar to the chromexcel that I have.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

I would think it's a Sheene.

3. photo2u

photo2u Practically Family

It is real. Nice jacket.

4. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Cafe Racer + dress collar a la the Highwaman = Sheene.

And it looks authentic enough to me. Nice jacket.

5. whataboutalifetime

whataboutalifetime New in Town

Thanks guys. My limited experiences tell me it’s authentic also. Just can’t find another one like this makes me a little nervous. This jacket fits me really nice, like custom made, only the sleeves are like 2cm too long. Hope they can be a little shorter after break in.

6. 58panheadfan

58panheadfan Practically Family

A Hybrid of Sheene on back and Seven on front I think… both styles available @thurstonbros

7. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

Why Seven?
    On my Sheene and the old Café Racer the front looked the same. So I think standard CR pattern.

Guppy likes this.
  8. 58panheadfan

MrProper likes this.
  9. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

Does it really matter which name Thurston bros (an Aero stockist) came up with for a particular Aero jacket?

Monitor likes this.
  10. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

Ah I see. Thanks.
    But I believe that this is only the default setting. This can be configured at will when ordering. I have my Sheene e.g. the handwarmer pockets omitted, but briefly considered the setting with zipped handwarmer pockets.

11. moktabe

moktabe One of the Regulars

Definitely a Sheene,

As @MrProper said, pocket configuration can be changed at time of ordering. The Sheene is a Cafe Racer (which I believe is a slimmer cut than a Seven) with either a Highwayman collar or an August collar which is smaller.

Guppy likes this.
  12. 58panheadfan

Maybe but in Seven Configurations, even the zippers on sleeve are adapted from the Seven model ;)

13. moktabe

moktabe One of the Regulars

In what way?
    I had the zippers on my Sheene put on the top of the sleeves.

58panheadfan likes this.
  14. 58panheadfan

Not really, OP is guessing if it‘s a Sheene… I would say it’s a „Sheeneven“ wordplay for Sheene x Seven… possibly next Thurston bros Model, LOL!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    moktabe and Marc mndt like this.
  15. Guppy

Aero can put the sleeve zippers on top or bottom by customer request (if they remember). The Board Racer has them on top by default, while the Cafe Racer has them on the bottom by default.

58panheadfan likes this.
  16. 58panheadfan

Of course you have a jacket in Sheene cut but default configurations from a Seven, in fact you have a „Sheeneven““ (see post above) :D

17. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

This made me wonder, are there fake Aero jackets on the market? I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist of course.

18. 58panheadfan

The quiz question is what defines the type of a Jacket: the cut or the configurations... but in the end it’s neither here nor there. OP‘s Jacket it‘s a nice example for a „Sheeneven“.

19. Guppy

Apart from ebay sellers in India ripping off Aero photos and selling their jackets with the images, I don't know of any confirmed actual jackets that have been counterfeited to be fake Aeros.

There are plenty of knockoff jackets out there, though, such as the chinese-market jackets you can find on aliexpress and taobao. Most are not direct copies of Aero's styles, and none of them can replicate the materials or the craftsmanship, although some are reasonable quality for the price. As well as legit (or semi-legit) brands like Alexander Leathers, Simmons Bilt, and Sam Walker that are more or less comparable quality-wise. Some of those, if you removed the tag, it'd be hard to tell it wasn't an Aero.

whataboutalifetime and Marc mndt like this.
  20. Guppy

I'd think that it's the basic pattern of the body and sleeves that defines the style. Modifications such as different style sleeve cuffs, or different style collar, or pocket configurations, are customizations. Borrowing a style element from one model and putting it on another base model doesn't change what the base model essentially is.

If you do enough modifications to something, it becomes something else. Like the "Shawl Collar Barnstormer" is its own style.

Monitor likes this.