Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What am I doing wrong?

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
I have tried a few times to curl my hair, I slept in my curlers (horribly too, didn't get any sleep) and I made sure they were completely dry, well I took out the curlers, my hair was super super super curly but it was like TOO curly, so I started to comb them out, then it turned into a huge puffball of frizz all over... how can I get my hair to not be so frizzy and what do I use to comb them out? a brush? a comb? a fork? and should I be using different curlers? I used the foam ones with the plastic around them and could barely sleep haha lol

Aurora

One of the Regulars
I've never slept in curlers, but instead I used plastic curlers with the plastic pins (they hurt to put in, but they work for me). But I do it in the evening, and used heat protection spray (only on the fringe/bangs), leave them in til dry. Then I take them out before bed.
I don't what the other girls will say, but my Mum always told me not to bother with the foam curlers as they don't hold a curl as well as a rigid curler (she's a hairdresser).
As for brushing your hair... a fork?! lol I used a nylon bristle brush for after I've curled, and a natural bristle for the rest of the week.
Did you use a setting lotion? I'm stumped by the frizzyness :)

alexandra

Practically Family
Sometimes if you just keep on brushing and brushing it tones down the frizz. I also have some tangle tamer that if it's just too out of control, I spray a bit on and that usually helps the poofiness.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I have the same problem with the frizzies! I have an anti-frizz serum that I use, but it doesn't really work when I have super frizzies like this.

I think for me, I need to try using setting lotion next time - I didn't do that the last time I curled my hair, so maybe that's what I'm doing wrong???

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
yes, I do use setting lotion, maybe too much of it lol but maybe it's cuz my hair is overly processed with all the bleaching and dying I've done to it this year...

I use those "goody" rollers, the ones that come in pink, blue, green and yellow.. I have hot rollers too but those don't curl at all..

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Brush, brush, brush! And use some kind of silicone liquid, I use Paul Mitchell's The Shine.

After brushing a little -> frizzball!:
2399942609_6744f9c1d3.jpg

After many minutes of brushing with a big natural bristle brush:
2400776164_5baca0d4ff.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Use your fingers to break up the curls first, then use a brush (preferably a round bristle) to brush from underneath, shaping as you brush. But keep brushing... I get the frizz too but them it calms down once you shape it into place.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
LolitaHaze said:
Use your fingers to break up the curls first, then use a brush (preferably a round bristle) to brush from underneath, shaping as you brush. But keep brushing... I get the frizz too but them it calms down once you shape it into place.

thanks, I'll try this too :)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Bobbysoxer said:
Do you ladies suggest brushing the curls individually to help with shape, or brush everything together?

Once I loosen them up with my fingers, I brush sections together to help them form shape together.

Snookie

Practically Family
I don't personally like boar bristle brushes, as they make my hair frizz more - I got one after reading how many ladies here like them. I use a similar brush, but with tightly packed plastic bristles. I'm sure that's related to hair types.

I also fingercomb first, then brush increasingly larger sections.

I freak out if my curls aren't superfrizz at first, it means my set won't hold. If you brush for 10 minutes and they're still too tight, you might try a larger roller or putting more hair in each roller (using fewer).

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
I don't have any tips for the hair rolling however I do have some for the frizzies. First one is a Jojoba oil hair masque, massage jojoba oil into dry hair and scalp let, it set there for 15-60 minutes (whatever you have time for) and then wash as usual. Try this several times a week until hair is in better condition and then just once every week or every other week for keep up.

The other is Monoi de Tahiti oil. You could use this like a masque as well and/or you can add some to your conditioner bottle and shake. This stuff is worth it's weight in gold in my opinion! :D

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
thank you ladies for all your suggestions, I have no idea how my hair will turn out tomorrow as I'm not going to do this until tomorrow morning, can't deal with another night of no sleep haha so we'll see!!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
jtcarrey said:
wow, what a difference... I should definately get that Paul Mitchell product... how much of it do you use?

11Q73wIC0YL._AA160_.jpg

It's a great product, containing a silicone with very good properties, cyclopentasiloxane.

I just use 4-5 squirts, you can feel it when your hair has had enough. I use it in wet hair first, and then finish off with a squirt in dry hair too, not too much though. I don't spray it directly into the hair but onto my hands first, that way I can distribute it better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo