Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
THE BEST!!! Our 13yo son had his very first real piano lesson (albeit a short one-due to a SF gig schedule) with Frederick Hodges today. When we got home our young Daniel played (right hand only) scales and the beginning part of a Fred Astaire tune "I'm Putting All My Eggs on One Basket" Wow, a definite Proud and Happy Mommy Moment.:) :) :)

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
THE BEST!!! Our 13yo son had his very first real piano lesson (albeit a short one-due to a SF gig schedule) with Frederick Hodges today. When we got home our young Daniel played (right hand only) scales and the beginning part of a Fred Astaire tune "I'm Putting All My Eggs on One Basket" Wow, a definite Proud and Happy Mommy Moment.:) :) :)

Yay you! (and the little fella too).
And Yay Fred Astaire; I've got him doing "The Way You Look Tonight" now, which is my favorite version ever.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fletch said:
New Tiger Rag, the only known off-the-air recording from Paul Whiteman's CBS Old Gold show of 1929-30.

I'm thinking, after listening, that this is more likely a recording from Whiteman's "Allied Paint Men" series from 1931. The most likely format for home recording at that time, the Victor pre-grooved disc system, wasn't introduced until October 1930 making it unlikely anyone could have recorded any of the Old Gold broadcasts at home.

Whiteman broadcast for Allied Paint from January 1931 to January 1932, and a few excerpts from that series are known to exist. Whiteman himself is known to have hired the Green Recording Service in Chicago to make airchecks of the entire series for his own archives, but they are missing from the huge collection of Whiteman discs at Williams College, and it's assumed that they left under someone's overcoat before the collection could be properly inventoried.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
C/Carey,

Congratulations!! Playing the piano is one of the most wonderful things a boy can pick up in his life. I hope he persues it and learns many beautiful old jazz tunes. I have! I'm currently picking my way through "The Lambeth Walk", with a rather good level of success..Oi!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to fuse four strips of bacon into one by (don't try it at home) --

First up, to 1938 with Ambrose and his Orchestra and one of the more pervasive tunes of the year, "Two Sleepy People." Young Vera Lynn and Denny Dennis team up for pleasant harmonies on the vocal.

Then, to 1937, Ozzie Nelson and his Orchestra, with Harriet Hilliard on the vocal for "Our Penthouse on Third Avenue." They weren't *always* suburban.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Podcast of Stereoscopic Redoubt, which covers psychedelia from 1965-1971. It's from CITR radio, the same folks that bring us the exceptional Sweet and Hot podcast. The host, being Canadian, pronounces Redoubt as "Readout."

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Sunday Afternoons

Sunday 27 th September 4.00pm THE PAST AND THE CURIOUS SERIES 2
Program 1 of 5

A Little Travelling Music, Please!! Australian Vintage

The Past and the Curious is devoted to the music of the 1920s to the 1950s - from the charleston to the cha-cha, from crooning to calypso, from Down in the Depths to The High and the Mighty. The first program of this new series is full of music devoted to the joys of travel and to the excitement of destinations near, far and unpredictable - including Christmas Island and Ballarat. And to mark the seventieth anniversary of the outbreak of World War II, we'll explore the meaning of some of the music written about life in war-time.

Produced and presented by Phillip Sametz

International listeners can listen on the web

http://www.abc.net.au/classic/

1905.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I'm thinking, after listening, that this is more likely a recording from Whiteman's "Allied Paint Men" series from 1931. The most likely format for home recording at that time, the Victor pre-grooved disc system, wasn't introduced until October 1930 making it unlikely anyone could have recorded any of the Old Gold broadcasts at home.
Yes, I was wondering about that myself. You see magazine plans from that era for building radios, even TVs, but none for a recording machine. I assume there was no way a hobbyist could make suitable blanks or styli.

Whiteman broadcast for Allied Paint from January 1931 to January 1932, and a few excerpts from that series are known to exist. Whiteman himself is known to have hired the Green Recording Service in Chicago to make airchecks of the entire series for his own archives, but they are missing from the huge collection of Whiteman discs at Williams College, and it's assumed that they left under someone's overcoat before the collection could be properly inventoried.
Very possibly the same larcenous Schweinhund who nabbed those pre-war TV scripts from Lincoln Center after they turned up in a book bibliography. The name I was given was a guy who had provided source material for several Whiteman and Crosby reissues. [huh]

On a happier note, PW brings us the Austin Young quartet and Bill Rank's trombone in a 1928 bit of music therapy: Smile. The last 8 notes - only - issue from the golden horn of Bix Beiderbecke.
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8lfNFkTzlVk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8lfNFkTzlVk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou