Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Viper Man

Banned
album-never-no-lament-the-blanton-webster-band.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to realize I need to get a bigger tea cup by --

Starting off with Mal Hallet and his Orchestra in 1936, with "One In A Million," an agreeably-bouncy rendition of the theme song from the Sonja Henie picture of the same name. Swingy, but no indication that the band was on skates when they recorded this.

Next, back to 1932 with George Olsen and his Music, and "It Was So Beautiful." The vocal here is not by Fran or Ethel or Bob or Hotcha or any of the other usual Olsenites, but by Paul Small who made about a million records with a million different bands between about 1928 and 1933 and then disappeared completely from human memory. Sic Transit Gloria Mundi.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Just the wind.....blowing at my house like a wolf huffing and puffing....one hopes the house holds out. :eek:
Oh yes. The wind was so strong it knocked out a big branch from our palm tree. And I heard somewhere in Hollywood a Jack in the Box sign got blown down. I hope that is the worst the wind did yesterday.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It doesn't get much more 1933 than this.

The Ramblers, Holland's famous jazz, dance and show band, playing for the Polygoon newsreel.
Lots of doubling including the Convertible Hide-a-Violin Trio (quite a few bands had this). And dig those moderne music desks.
I suspect if prewar experimental television ever tried to cover a big band, it would have looked something like this - 2-camera coverage, one locked-down, on a very tight set.
4055347809_ca72d5b031_o.png

click here to see and hear

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to fight off an invasion of Japanese ladybugs by --

Now playing, Rudy Vallee and the Connecticut Yankees in 1931 with a first rate Victor recording of "I'm Keeping Company." Well arranged, well played, well sung -- Vallee at his best.

Next up, a fine Bing Crosby Brunswick from 1932, "Love Me Tonight." I don't know who did the sax solo, but he earned his paycheck.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Cocktail Nation no. 96, I think.

Especially good were Martini Kings with their cover of "You Only Live Twice," and Anita O'Day delivering the goods with "Ten Cents a Dance."

Then the last few moments pulling into the parking lot with "Defying Gravity." Not vintage and not lounge, but astounding nonetheless.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Next up, a fine Bing Crosby Brunswick from 1932, "Love Me Tonight." I don't know who did the sax solo, but he earned his paycheck.
Why that's our old pal Tram! Frank Trumbauer had just left Paul Whiteman and was getting ready to open with his own band in Chicago. Meantime, he took a cup of coffee as a freelancer.
4057622720_300a601bb7_o.png

"Hey! That ain't coffee."

The Trumbauer orchestra pulled quite a good business at first, but it just was not the time to be starting a new band, especially in the midwest, especially if you were a hot-fingered saxophone fiend. (He was, however, popular enough with Iowa State College students to play here twice.)

In a year and a half Tram was back with Whiteman. It was 1937 before he tried his own band again. That one ran till 1940, when he hooked up with the Civil Aeronautics Authority. That flight getup was no costume.

Listen to Business in Q and I Think You're A Honey, from the 1932 band's one and only record date.

Chas

One Too Many
I am housecleaning to my favorite genre that is intended to encourage repetitive actions...

Aggrotech. I know that it's strange for a cat my age to be into this, but I do love it so.

I'm sure my neighbours think I'm nuts. One day it's opera, the next jazz, the next this.

("Alien Vampires" video deleted due to non-PG language in title --I may be nearsighted, but I ain't blind.)

anon`

One Too Many
Chas said:
I am housecleaning to my favorite genre that is intended to encourage repetitive actions...

Aggrotech. I know that it's strange for a cat my age to be into this, but I do love it so.

I'm sure my neighbours think I'm nuts. One day it's opera, the next jazz, the next this.

("Alien Vampires" video deleted due to non-PG language in title --I may be nearsighted, but I ain't blind.)
Sounds like the result of a bored afternoon between Andy LaPlegua and Nero Bellum. I approve!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to realize that the kettle will never boil if I don't actually put it on the burner by...

Now playing, Freddie Rich and his Orchestra in 1938 with a smooooooth rendition of "One Song," featuring Sonny Schuyler on the vocal. Sonny was sort of a more virile version of Scrappy Lambert, bouncing around the studios and recording with just about every sweet band you can name, and he does a fine job on this disc.

Next, back to 1929, and Nick Lucas and his Guitar introduce the big hit from "Gold Diggers of Broadway," "Painting The Clouds With Sunshine," a song he would still be singing well into the 1970s.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Chas said:
The obsessive passion for many different things is a sign of a highly developed mind.
Besides, it's Hallowe'en. :D bua ha ha haaaa
And damn lucky for you that some of us have trouble reading small red blackletter text.

Chas

One Too Many
Chas said:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Ism2I3HCGU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Ism2I3HCGU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Is this more acceptable? Not trying to be flippant or a pill....pure oversight on my part.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hey, we all have different sides. Sometimes you want sweetness and light, sometimes you want it black and bitter. I spent 20 minutes Monday morning reciting Lee Tracy's "power is not a toy" speech from The Best Man to the four walls, each time building in intensity from Arthur Godfrey through Gunnery Sergeant Hartman to full-out King Leonidas. It was ill advised; I lost my singing voice for 3 days.

I recently talked to a man at work, who had come to visit portage for the first time since he left in 1958, and he had been in a country band and actually did back-up for Jean Shepard and he said others, but he couldn't remember at the moment.

John in Covina said:
Jean Shepard's rendition of the Little Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Ring Ovaltine ad. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace