Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Dusty Fletcher with Jimmy Jones and his Orchestra -- "Open The Door, Richard!". "I know he ain't gone out nowhere, 'cause *I* got on the clothes!"

HAAAaaa, thought maybe I might be the only one on here who knew of that one - "Performed by The Originator" - I believe it, too; sounds like he'd been living on the streets a while - that's Tough Stuff right there!

"<Whack> OW! You act like one a' them Po-lice who ain't never arrested nobody before!"

[edit] youtube's great... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U59OZ2L1C2Y

Raymond Scott and his Orchestra -- Secret Agent (1942)

LizzieMaine said:
Next, staying in 1927 for a rather understated ballad by Helen Kane -- yes, there were such things -- "Get Out And Get Under The Moon." She sounds rather like Zelma O'Neal crossed with Annette Hanshaw here, and there's not a boop-boop-a-doop to be heard. But she does do some nifty low-key scatting at the very end of the record.

Helen Kane!

It was this recording that got me hooked on music from '20s and '30s. I still remember hearing it for the first time on the Dr. Demento Show like it was yesterday.

Helen Kane -- Do Something (1929)

One of the things I love about Helen Kane recordings is that, as a Victor artist, she was backed by, in my opinion, one of the finest studio bands of the era under the baton of Nat Shilkret and Leonard Joy. Though I do believe that the latter accompanied most of her recordings.

Many people erroneously believe that Helen Kane was the voice of Betty Boop. Even though she was the inspiration for the character, Betty Boop was actually voiced by Mae Questal (who was also the voice of Olive Oyl in the early Popeye cartoons).

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Peggy Lee "I lost my sugar in Salt Lake City"

peggy-lee.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
'mukin'

...ie: iTuned to Radio Dismuke, which seemed to be on some kind of extra-corny Sunday rotation when I tuned in, but shortly picked up a little.

Annette Hanshaw, If I Had a Talking Pitcher of You. Sweet and endearing.
Ruth Arden, Wenn die weisse Flieder wieder blüht (When the White Lilacs Bloom Again). Typical trilly European music-hall stuff.
Debroy Somers Band - The Peanut Vendor. The most British version you could want.
Columbia Photo Players - Love Made a Gypsy out of Me. Elmer Feldkamp, sounding more drippy than usual.
Happy Hour Orchestra - Who Do You Love? A rarity, an up-tempo number without any pep.
The Clevelanders - When I First Met Mary. "Eeny meeny miney moe brings back days of long ago." Bleh.
Chester Leighton Sophomores - On The Beach with You. Much more pleasant. A ukulele at the seashore, sure, but a xylophone? Oh, and there's Benny Goodman.
Allen Burns Orchestra - Night and Day. Early Freddy Martin. The silver moo of that sax! Elmer again, perhaps billed as George Gracie.
Lou Gold Orchestra - What a Wonderful Wedding That Will Be. A Harmony acoustic, with Irving Kaufman shouting at the far wall of the studio.
Jack Denny Orchestra - Starlight. Always did like that reeds-strings-accordion sound.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to try to drown out the crackling ear-infection noises inside my head by --

Starting off in 1932 with another one of those more-for-your-record-money Brunswick medleys, this one featuring Red Nichols and his Five Pennies in a rousing "California Medley", which incorporates "California Here I Come," "Open Up That Golden Gate," with vocal by Sid "Leather Tonsils" Garry, "Hello Frisco Hello," as vocalized by the Boswell Sisters, "Chinatown My Chinatown," "Rose Room," sung by Art Jarrett, and finally the USC fight song "Fight On." I wonder why nobody ever wrote a jazzy tune about Sacramento?

Next up, back to 1927 for Libby Holman, dispensing for once with her usual rabid-pomeranian growls, and "Who's That Knocking At My Door?" I hope for your sake, kiddo, that his name isn't Reynolds.

grundie

One of the Regulars
The Duckworth Lewis Method by The Duckworth Lewis Method.

If it was possible to wear out an MP3, this would be worn out by now. A concept album about cricket, what's not to like about it?

theinterchange

One Too Many
The last few days, I've been revisiting my Sinatra albums, the 3 disc "Capital Years" collection in particular.

Apart from that, it's been a mixed bag of Paul O'Dette's Bach on Lute, Yo-Yo Ma's Simply Baroque, Enya's entire catalog, Jack Webb, some Thelonious Monk, and a sprinking of the Aussie band Dappled Cities. As well as a host of other music. I listen to a LOT of music.

Randy

grundie

One of the Regulars
I've been listening to a recording of Gay Byrne's Lyric FM weekly show.

I love that show so much. He plays music from the 1920s through to the 1960s, interspersed with the man himself going off on rants about speed limits, rude staff at airports and how awful modern music is.

Check it out if you get a chance, it's rather good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy