Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to eat a carrot by (it's cheaper than bifocals) --

Now playing, it's 1930 and poor Ruth Etting and her sore feet with "Ten Cents A Dance." And watch out for those bowlegged tailors.

Next, following a commercial for Post Raisin Bran (fruit and cereal all in one package!!), it's a first-rate side from 1936 with Frank Froeba and his Swing Band and "It All Begins And Ends With You." Midge Williams, one of the great forgottens of the era, takes the vocal.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to gasp for breath till the allergies clear up by --

Starting off in 1936 with Alice Faye, accompanied by Cy Feuer and his Orchestra taking on a tune better identified with Fats Waller, "Spreadin' Rhythm Around." Alice was the only 20th Century Fox contractee to successfully defy Darryl F. Zanuck's ban on record-making, and she would eventually pay for it. Too bad, because the few discs she cut are quite entertaining. Even if she's no Fats.

Next, following commercials for New Anti-Sneeze Rinso (where can I get some??) and Thayer Slippery Elm Throat Lozenges (likewise), it's back to 1929 with a jaunty rendition of "How Am I To Know," by Phil Ohman and Victor Arden and their Orchestra, vocalized by Scrappy Lambert. Dorothy Parker wrote the lyric. No one will ever confuse her with Dorothy Fields, but it's still a credible job.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lizzie, the Thayers is still available...I can send you some if there is nowhere nearby....

This morning's 'to drown out the construction guys here at work' soundtrack is starting with Carmen Miranda and 'South American Way'

Today is cheery music...to lessen the pain of having totally messed up my shoulder...again

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Lots from Billy Joel lately.

"...Sing us a song,
you're the piano man.
Sing us a song to-nite.
Cause we're all in the
mood for a melody.
And you've got us
feelin' alright..."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wait for the Nyquil fog to clear by --

Starting off in 1934 with Ted Fio Rito and his Orchestra and one of the jauntier "take that, you bad old Depression" tunes of the moment, "The Big Bad Wolf Was Dead." Muzzy and the Debutantes do their usual routine on the vocal. "I took my gun and I went like this and I shot him thru the head." Nothing like the direct approach.

Next, ahead to 1937 with Connee Boswell, who has no need for Vet and Martha as she delivers an elegantly languid performance of "Whispers In The Dark." Why don't her solo records get the respect they deserve?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Sorting through the kinds of clothes that people wear these days, while doing my volunteer job, I was reminded of, and am currently listening to...

The Six Jumping Jacks - "Masculine Women and Feminine Men" (Rec. 1926)

Masculine women, feminine men,
Which is the rooster, which is the hen?
It's hard to tell 'em apart today, hey-hey!

Sister is busy learning to shave,
Brother just loves his permanent wave,
It's hard to tell 'em apart today, hey-hey!

Girls were girls and boys were boys when I was a tot,
Now we don't know who is who,
Or even what's what!

Knickers and trousers, baggy and wide!
Nobody knows who's walkin' inside!
Those masculine women and feminine men!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Vintage Radio to eat my corn flakes by --

Now playing, it's the Fleischmann's Yeast Hour for June 18, 1936. Among Rudy Vallee's guests are Vincent Price, comedian Joe Cook, sportswriter Bill Corum, author/actress Cornelia Otis Skinner, and Midge Williams, an African-American jazz artiste who specializes in singing hot selections in Japanese. And moderns think they invented "multiculturalism."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Vintage radio to take an evening off after a long day by --

Now playing, one of the most bizarre baseball games ever played, the April 23, 1964 contest between the Cincinnati Reds and the Houston Colt .45s in which Houston pitcher Ken Johnson throws a no-hitter -- and loses. Think about that the next time you think *you're* having a bad day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters