Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I've been on annual leave this week, kinda a 'use it or lose it' deal, so I've had the chance to listen to loads of vinyl. Earlier this year, I picked up a slew of excellent Western Swing stuff, mostly on a label from the 1970s called Rambler, off a market stall and I gave that a good workout - faves are Smokey Wood & His Modern Mountaineers...

68325_10150288129855471_725635470_15133455_6410373  _n.jpg

I've gotta lotta wax so I just pull stuff that I feel like listening to, and it can get fairly random! Just this afternoon, I listened to two LPs by (US) Kaleidoscope, NOLA R&B legend Dave Bartholomew's 1940s & 1950s sides, sublime 1960s soul singer Mabel John (sis of Little Willie), strange quasi-soul shouter Jack Hammer ("The Wiggling Fool", no less!), Canadian garage punk outfit The Painted Ship from 1966, and "Buckle Shoe Stomp" b/w "Stand And Deliver" by odd UK beat band The Snobs...

[video=youtube;BkpIz8Z7mXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkpIz8Z7mXM[/video]

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Sam Lanin's Orchestra

[video=youtube;kwP2GUQh-qc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwP2GUQh-qc&feature=related[/video]

.... and if the scratches on the record bother you use this!
leonard_ear_oil.gif

Berlin

Practically Family
Marcella Puppini - Jitterbug Waltz {Unfortunatly could I only find the live version}
[video=youtube;w3KjBPgpwhM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3KjBPgpwhM[/video]

theinterchange

One Too Many
Sufjan Stevens' The BQE film score. [It's about the Brooklyn Queens Expressway.. and the hula hoop] I haven't seen the film as I bought the album via emusic.com as a digital download, but seeing the prelude video makes me want to watch it.

[video=youtube;z6sRXCLVyoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6sRXCLVyoc[/video]

Randy

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to cough and wheeze by --

Starting off in 1933 with Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra and an insistent version of a great tune that got shoved out the back door of "Footlight Parade," "Sittin' On A Back Yard Fence." The new Rhythm Boys -- not Bing, Al, and Harry but an incredible simulation -- strut the vocal.

Next, it's 1937 and the "Decca All Star Revue," featuring Miss Ella Logan, Scotland's gift to the swing era, combining with Bob Crosby, Johnnie "Scat" Davis, Cleo Brown, the Tune Twisters, and Victor Young's Orchestra for a rollicking "Way Back Home." Where "the Goats are the Nanniest" -- clearly they passed thru my own home town.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to cough and wheeze by --

Starting off in 1933 with Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra and an insistent version of a great tune that got shoved out the back door of "Footlight Parade," "Sittin' On A Back Yard Fence." The new Rhythm Boys -- not Bing, Al, and Harry but an incredible simulation -- strut the vocal.

Next, it's 1937 and the "Decca All Star Revue," featuring Miss Ella Logan, Scotland's gift to the swing era, combining with Bob Crosby, Johnnie "Scat" Davis, Cleo Brown, the Tune Twisters, and Victor Young's Orchestra for a rollicking "Way Back Home." Where "the Goats are the Nanniest" -- clearly they passed thru my own home town.

A beautiful ballad from one of the great songbirds of all time.

Jane Green -- Ida, I Do (1925)
(accompanied by Nat Shilkret and the Victor Orchestra)
Victor 19707

Lyrics
Seems that the neighbors are talking
Guess that they've seen us out walking
They kind of wonder what he sees
Loving a girlie like me

We tried to keep it a secret
They wouldn't have it that way
Love, I have given my answer
He's only waiting the day to tell them

Do I love my Ida, little Ida?
Pretty Ida, I do
Do I long to hold her and enfold her?
Like I told her, I do

When the preacher comes to tie the knot
Will I brag about the prize I've got!
When I stand beside her, girl like Ida
Saying, "Ida, I do."

Ida, Ida, sweet as apple cider to me
Do I long to hold her and enfold her?
Like I told her, I do

When the preacher comes to tie the knot
Will I brag about the prize I've got!
When I stand beside her, girl like Ida
Saying, "Ida, I do"

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
blackout.

I've stopped listening to my kind of music entirely for a little while. I really believe some kinds of music bring us real joy, yet even while doing so, they can limit us, even shrink our world.

This is especially true if the music we love is forgotten or obscure - if it no longer has a context. Anything like that can force you inward and make you narrow, and your life stale and confined. I don't want that, and if it were up to me it wouldn't have to be that way.

So here's a happy thought from Paul Whiteman and Bing Crosby in 1928 - lost context? you bet - but for 3 min 10 sec it is so relevant it's timeless.

When you're all alone
Any old night
And you're feeling out of tune
Pick up your hat
Close up your flat
Get out and get under the moon

f0147840_2345593.jpg
832149.jpg

Last edited:

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
TheIsleyBrothers1966- "MyLoveIsYourLove(Forever)" MOTOWN-29 ~~;)

[video=youtube;CrGT15ernWA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrGT15ernWA&NR=1&feature=fvwp[/video]

The+Isley+Brothers.jpg
isleys.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I've stopped listening to my kind of music entirely for a little while. I really believe some kinds of music bring us real joy, yet even while doing so, they can limit us, even shrink our world.

This is especially true if the music we love is forgotten or obscure - if it no longer has a context. Anything like that can force you inward and make you narrow, and your life stale and confined. I don't want that, and if it were up to me it wouldn't have to be that way.

I think you're right about the above. I just started listening to Big Band music again today, after a 3 week blitz of British Invasion Rock 'n' Roll (which I also love).

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Ben Bernie Orchestra - "I'm Yours" 1930

-How can i
help

dreaming of you?

I love you

I'm yours

[video=youtube;KVFVj74C-Os]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVFVj74C-Os[/video]

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Bob Howard and His Orchestra - "Hop, Skip, Jump" (1936)

I don't wanna live like a millionaire,
I don't care to dance like Fred Astaire!
The only thing I love to do, is to
Hop, skip and jump into your arms!

I don't wanna sail through the seven seas,
Even if the boats were Normandies!
The only thing I'd like to do, is
Hop, skip and jump into your arms!

People seek the ones they love,
By travellin' everywhere!
But I could reach the one I love,
With a hop, skip, jump,
And I'm there!

You can have your wish to be shooting high,