Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
keep vid...split aud

...is how I'm squirreling away music from a couple of online video services.

The first half of my header up there, plus dot com, is the name of a website that will upload the vids to your hardrive. From there you can use a sound editing app to save them as audio-only and port them to iTunes, iPod, etc.

This is, technically, a no-no, but so is video-streaming any 1924-71 recording. I'm only doing it because the DRM-bots are out zapping files off the larger of the 2 sites I visit - you never know what'll go down the tube. (The other site is one I check almost daily, but they've made no motion to use bots yet.)

Now playing a Swedish 78 - Sam Samsons Orkester covering Ellington's Lost in Meditation, made about the time Duke toured Scandinavia in 1939.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Vintage radio to eat a very late corn flake supper by --

Now playing, Fred Allen's "Town Hall Tonight" for October 30, 1935. A Brazilian soprano has just bellowed out a piercing rendition of "Giannina Mia" during the Town Hall Amateurs segment, and is now being followed by a teenage violinist who must wait to go on until Mr. Allen finishes several obligatory Jack Benny jokes.

p71towny

Familiar Face
Whatever A.M. 740 out of Toronto is playing. I can only get them in at night, but somehow it makes it to N.E. Indiana. They are a great station.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to look forward to a day of untangling a fouled curtain motor by --

Starting off in 1933 with Emil Coleman and his Orchestra, with a trundling but enjoyable arrangement of "Mine," the Gershwins' hit tune from "Let Them Eat Cake." The vocal is presented by a male chorus to accordion accompaniment, which I don't think is what George and Ira had in mind, but it works nonetheless.

Next, back to 1928 with the love theme for Zelma O'Neal and Jack Haley from "Follow Thru," "Button Up Your Overcoat," as squeaked and booped by Helen Kane. If Max Fleischer didn't own a copy of this record, I'd be shocked.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm frankly surprised someone as back-to-basics as you has motorized curtains.

Right now I'm spinning a program called Scratchy Grooves, out of the University of Delaware. Each show is an hour of all original 78 pressings (hence the name - I think the clean copies all wound up in New Jersey and Pennsylvania), and they have an .mp3 archive at the link above.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fletch said:
I'm frankly surprised someone as back-to-basics as you has motorized curtains.

The stage curtain at work -- it jammed halfway open before the 8pm show Saturday night, and left me with a tangled mass of steel cable to unwind. The show must go on, and all.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying a rare day off today, to the accompaniment of --

From 1933, it's Fletcher Henderson and his Orchestra and a definitively swinging "Honeysuckle Rose." If that don't get you moving, nothing will.

Next, skipping ahead to 1938 with Bob Hope and Shirley Ross and the definitive "Two Sleepy People." If Hope's career had taken just a slightly different turn he could have enjoyed a perfectly satisfying career as a romantic, singing leading man. If only that Crosby fellow hadn't pre-empted the territory.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Eddie Cantor, Helen Kane, Paul Whiteman, Sophie Tucker and other early-mid 20s music to get me in the zone while working on some marketing things for Seattle Musical Theatre's upcoming (Nov & Dec) production of Chicago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters