Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

I'm on a big polka/Frankie Yankovic kick lately!

[video=youtube;pWTlhMCZG8c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWTlhMCZG8c&playnext=1&list=PL803F9E33EC2C2EF1&index=24[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to convince the cat donuts aren't good for her by --

Now playing, one of the better tunes of 1938 done up smooth by Hal Kemp and His Orchestra and vocalist Bob Allen, "The Moon Got In My Eyes." A lovely store-stock Victor, except for the two-penny warp.

Next, it's the other side of that same disc, with Skinnay Ennis gasping out "It's The Natural Thing To Do." Steady there boy, it'll be over soon.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
78s to convince the cat donuts aren't good for her by --
Kitty Foyle has right of first refusal over anything the Big Cats are eating, and usually does refuse. I just gave her a bit of leftover leg of lamb, which she relished, as she's more of a meat kitteh than a fish kitteh.

Next, it's the other side of that same disc, with Skinnay Ennis gasping out "It's The Natural Thing To Do." Steady there boy, it'll be over soon.
Poor guy. Tell him to lie back and think of New England. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Radio to darn stockings by --

It's June 15, 1937 -- and the National Broadcasting Company takes us to the Astor Roof atop the Hotel Astor in New York City for the music of Rudy Vallee and his Connecticut Yankees, with vocals by Judy Starr and the Swing Kids and the occasional interpolation by Mr. Vallee hisself. The NBC engineer must've been out taking a nip, because he has the vocal mic potted down as the Kids start in on "Scattin' At The Kit Kat." Rudy does not sound pleased when he breaks in with an announcement. Someone's gonna hear about it in the morning, you can bet.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to mop the remains of the blizzard off the kitchen floor by --

Now playing, it's 1933 and Chick Bullock's Levee Loungers offer their treatment of a definitive Bing Crosby tune, "Learn To Croon." You don't often think of Brother Bullock as a "crooner," but he conducts himself capably here. The ARC house band, is, of course, first rate in accompaniment.

Next, it's still 1933 and Harry Reser and his Orchestra -- sans fur parkas -- spank out "You're Gonna Lose Your Gal." There's a great explicit line in Harriet Lee's vocal -- "Someone else will paradise her." Go ask Grandma what they're talking about there.

MissMittens

One Too Many
I think the most graphic song from that era was 1947's "Butcher Pete" by Roy Brown

Butcher Pete's got a long sharp knife
He starts choppin' and don't know when to stop
All you fellows gotta watch your wifes
'Cause Pete don't care who's meat he chops

leaves little to the imagination :O

Berlin

Practically Family
Vera Lynn. I love her songs. And, I lóve love love this video. Cause I love spitfires,too. Any aircraft actually. Gosh...that sound.

[video=youtube;YUx3MU9iM6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUx3MU9iM6c[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925