Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Dapper Dave

Familiar Face
Benny Goodman 1937-1938 when he had Gene Krupa and Harry James in the Band. Ziggy Elman was also in his band, but most of the solo's went to Harry James.

Berlin

Practically Family
Wim Sonneveld - Het dorp {Translation: The Village}
Wim Sonneveld (June 28, 1917 - March 8, 1974) was an amazing artist from my country, a dutch cabaret and singer.
I love his song "Het dorp" since his dialect was still the Dutch correct language and it sounds so chic. The language is now so degenerated. Such a shame.

[video=youtube;Tlg1Vw0o7WM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlg1Vw0o7WM[/video]

wim_sonneveld2.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
This man is simply a genius.

Shostakovich was indeed a genius. :eusa_clap
I will also second Sergei Prokofiev to that status. :)
Missed last nite's Chicago Symphony performance of Prokofiev's Fifth.:(

Thelonious Monk, Lulu's Back in Town.:coffee:

:eek:fftopic:
The rose is the eye of the flowers, the lightning of beauty.

Sappho, Song of The Rose
;)

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Lately, quite a bit of Eric Whitacre, Jamie Cullum (The Pursuit), Josh Groban (Illuminations), and a bit of Michael Civisca thrown in for good measure. (Just found out about him the other day, perusing some old threads here. Amazing voice.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wait for the furnace guy by --

Starting off in 1928 with the Ipana Troubadours, S. C. Lanin Director, and one of those definitive "sound of the twenties" records, "Nagasaki," back when the only thing you thought about when that city was mentioned was men chewin' tobaccy and women makin' wicki-wacki-woo.

Next, ahead to 1932 with Bob Causer and his Cornellians and the hit tune from "Horse Feathers," "Ev'ryone Says I Love You." Chick Bullock makes us forget all about Zeppo on the vocal. Many years ago, I used this record as backing music for a radio commercial about a bakery "where the added ingredient was love."

Aleksander Zabczynski -- Piosenka O Nadine (Song Of Nadine) (1934)
(with Henryk Gold and his Orchestra)

[video=youtube;ApHunuUXeto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApHununUXeto&feature=related[/video]

Henryk Gold and his Orchestra -- Idzie Wiosna! (Spring Is Here!) (1931)

[video=youtube;izT45hfPGBw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izT45hfPGBw&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Radio to eat leftover macaroni and cheese by --

It's September 27, 1933, we're tuned to WABC, and Old Gold cigarettes -- "mellow as a cello, not a cough in a carload" -- present Fred Waring and his Pennsylvanians, with guests Harry Richman and Milton Berle. Obviously, having leather lungs is a plus with this particular sponsor. David Ross does the commercials in a rich, oleaginous voice that suggests he never lit a cigarette in his life.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to get ready to go to work in another stinking blizzard by --

Starting off in 1937 with Dick Robertson and his Orchestra and a very Clambake Seven-ish take on "September In The Rain." Rain I would settle for. September even more so.

Next, still in 1937, with "Art" Shaw and his New Music and the big musical number from "A Day At The Races," "All God's Chillun Got Rhythm." Tony Pastor gives his usual big-grin-while-passing-a-kidney-stone routine on the lyrics.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
always love reading your descriptions and seeing what music you've got playing LizzieM!!

78s to get ready to go to work in another stinking blizzard by --

Starting off in 1937 with Dick Robertson and his Orchestra and a very Clambake Seven-ish take on "September In The Rain." Rain I would settle for. September even more so.

Next, still in 1937, with "Art" Shaw and his New Music and the big musical number from "A Day At The Races," "All God's Chillun Got Rhythm." Tony Pastor gives his usual big-grin-while-passing-a-kidney-stone routine on the lyrics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred