Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
78s to keep on coughing by --

Now playing, it's one of Bing's first Deccas from 1934, as Georgie Stoll and his Orchestra provide accompaniment on an absolutely gorgeous Robin and Rainger tune, "With Every Breath You Take." Crosby and Stoll didn't make too many records together, but they all have a distinctive, jaunty Paramount-pit-band sound. This is my favorite period for Bing -- the tail end of his buh-buh-boo period, and in those years, 1934-35, he could do no wrong.
I'd send you June in January if it'd help that cough. If not, there's always brandy.

Next, it's the Casa Loma Orchestra's theme song, "Smoke Rings," but Glen and the boys are nowhere in sight -- as we hear Clyde McCoy and his Orchestra instead. A classy, gimmick-free rendition with not a wah-wah-wah to be found.
One of their very effective Blue Columbia sides from 1933, unless you've latched onto some ET only you and God know about.

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
If y'all heard my posting of the Boswell Sisters' Heebie Jeebies a few days ago, you'll appreciate this mostly-instrumental version from Mills Blue Rhythm Band, at about that same time in 1931. Benny Carter's arranging may have been a little beyond them - it took 8 takes to get a master.

Now something via the Dismuke Message Board - some early swing from Argentina (!) by the Santa Paula Serenaders, a 15pc norteamericano style dance band, on a 1935 12" 78 (!).
Paso del Tigre (Tiger Rag)
Santa Paula Stomp

Last edited:

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
This might threaten my membership to the Lounge but I must confess that I don't always listen to Jazz and Big Band.
My secret addiction, first thing in the morning before any of my men get to the shop....Trance and Trip Hop.
A little Benny Benassi, Massive Attack and Bjork always get me going in the morning!
Sorry folks....hope you don't think less of me!!!!!!!!

martinsantos

Practically Family
"Larry Clinton in Hi-Fi", a LP from 50s. Usually these "newly recorded" aren't so good as the original recordings, but Clinton orch (probably a studio one) was really swinging. And the "new ortophonic sound" is really good in this record! (and I'm not a fan about hi-fi by RCA).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s for a third cup of Red Rose by --

Now playing, it's 1928 and Ben Bernie and his Hotel Roosevelt Orchestra offer one of the hit tunes from the DeSylva-Brown-Henderson Broadway hit "Follow Thru," "I Want To Be Bad." Vocal is by she who stopped the show with her performance of the tune in the original production, the always-full-of-hellllllTH-and-vigor Zelma O'Neal.

Next, it's a hot Vocalion from 1936 with Bunny Berigan and his Boys rollicking thru "If I Had My Way." Chick Bullock pokes his head in the door just long enough to pop off a vocal chorus.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
CALYPSO BLUES
My favorite version is Willie Rosario’s.
Love the Bari sax that comes in at the end.
[video=youtube;E3lGFVYMKHE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3lGFVYMKHE[/video]

I really enjoy this thread because I've been introduced to new tunes, like "Calypso Blues" above (thanks, Rundquist!). I'm mad about it and darn if it's not on iTunes!:(

So thanks to all for posting links to the music you love, and I'll share this Cab Calloway song, "Are You Hep to the Jive," with you and hope you enjoy it too.:)

[video=youtube;sgW3RxKdN0Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgW3RxKdN0Q[/video]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Scarface Al's favorites

barnes2.jpg

Walter Barnes' Royal Creolians were the house orchestra at Al Capone's Cotton Club in Cicero, Ill., late in the '20s. And a crack outfit they were, as you can hear on their 1928-'29 recordings.
3214025017_ee80b02f26_m.jpg

Walter, who played clarinet and alto sax, eventually became a wealthy man thanks to Capone's patronage. But he still played the Black club circuit in the South, where he had begun his career, and where he was very popular.
RhythmClubFire_BG.jpg

One night in 1940 the band was playing the Rhythm Club, a converted warehouse in Natchez, Miss., when fire broke out. 212 lives were lost including Barnes and most of the band, who kept playing to calm the panic.

Trailer for an upcoming documentary about the Rhythm Club fire.

Last edited:
barnes2.jpg

Walter Barnes' Royal Creolians were the house orchestra at Al Capone's Cotton Club in Cicero, Ill., late in the '20s. And a crack outfit they were, as you can hear on their 1928-'29 recordings.
3214025017_ee80b02f26_m.jpg

Walter, who played clarinet and alto sax, eventually became a wealthy man thanks to Capone's patronage. But he still played the Black club circuit in the South, where he had begun his career, and where he was very popular.
RhythmClubFire_BG.jpg

One night in 1940 the band was playing the Rhythm Club, a converted warehouse in Natchez, Miss., when fire broke out. 212 lives were lost including Barnes and most of the band, who kept playing to calm the panic.

Trailer for an upcoming documentary about the Rhythm Club fire.

While many of the greats like Walter Barnes and Mezz Mezrow got their start in clubs and speakeasies owned by Al Capone and/or his associates, Capone's own musical tastes ran toward opera.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Sometimes is hard to understand this today, but from the ending of XIXth Century to almost the middle of XXth Century opera was very very popular, specially between italians and descendants. Verdi was a symbol of Italian unification and nationalism.

And a lot of these people knew (and sung and played home) the "best moments" from some ear-catch as I Pagliacci or Cavalleria Rusticana. Not hard to find old and worn 78s from opera arias, prooving this popularity...

While many of the greats like Walter Barnes and Mezz Mezrow got their start in clubs and speakeasies owned by Al Capone and/or his associates, Capone's own musical tastes ran toward opera.

By the way, as always Fletch brought someting very interesting! Tks!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sometimes is hard to understand this today, but from the ending of XIXth Century to almost the middle of XXth Century opera was very very popular, specially between italians and descendants. Verdi was a symbol of Italian unification and nationalism.

And a lot of these people knew (and sung and played home) the "best moments" from some ear-catch as I Pagliacci or Cavalleria Rusticana. Not hard to find old and worn 78s from opera arias, prooving this popularity...

Another index of the mass popularity of opera in the Era is that its stars weren't just "opera stars," they were popular celebrities -- you'd hear Lawrence Tibbett or Rise Stevens or others in that mode showing up as guest stars on radio programs, gagging it up with Fred Allen or Jack Benny and then wowing the audience with a famous aria. Or they might go on Information Please and dazzle the panel with their knowledge of comic strips or baseball, proving they were real folks just like the listeners at home. The dividing line between "high culture" and "low culture" was as close to being obliterated during the Era as it's ever been -- nowadays, alas, that line is drawn tighter and firmer than ever.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to figure out that bacon won't fry if you forget to turn the stove on by--

Starting off in 1939 with Mildred Bailey and her Orchestra reviving a hit of 1934, "I Don't Have A Ghost of a Chance With You," in a version that makes you forget any other. Red Norvo taps along on his $10,000 gold-plated xylophone after the vocal.

Next, it's 1930 with Smith Ballew and his Orchestra and the grand finale tune from the awe-inspiring Warner Brothers revue "The Show of Shows," "Lady Luck." Smith Ballew himself takes the vocal here, but in the picture it was performed by a galaxy of Warners' top stars, from John Barrymore to Rin Tin Tin. Pity they couldn't get Rinty to show up for this session.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Certainly, Lizzie! Opera was only elaborated (and highly passional!) music. In a time when a high amount of people played instruments. The "classical" then becomes familiar and understandeable.

Caruso came to São Paulo in 20s. It was a big event - and a lot of immigrants came to see the great singer, a trully big event. At the opera house the balcony was free, so those who couldn't afford the tickets could listen too (my great-grandfather was there! With wife and my grandfather, then at 5 y. o.).

Mario

I'll Lock Up
The Band's self-titled album from 1969. With their raw, down to earth sound that draws a lot from traditional folk music styles, they have always been one of my favorite American bands, especially with this beautiful record. Even the lyrics are dealing with an America that has long gone now.

Here's one of my faves from their 1969 album, When You Awake.

[video=youtube;zKsiTSwBdtk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKsiTSwBdtk[/video]

The Last Waltz is of course another gem...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic