Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Lily Powers

Practically Family
The Band's self-titled album from 1969. With their raw, down to earth sound that draws a lot from traditional folk music styles, they have always been one of my favorite American bands, especially with this beautiful record. Even the lyrics are dealing with an America that has long gone now. ...The Last Waltz is of course another gem...

Mario, you are so right about "The Last Waltz," and I'd add that it's a gem best seen and not just heard. It was directed by Martin Scorsese, and the interspersed interviews with Robbie Robertson, (the too soon departed) Rick Danko, and the other members of The Band are great. It's one of my favorite movies. :)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Mario, you are so right about "The Last Waltz," and I'd add that it's a gem best seen and not just heard. It was directed by Martin Scorsese, and the interspersed interviews with Robbie Robertson, (the too soon departed) Rick Danko, and the other members of The Band are great. It's one of my favorite movies. :)

That live version of The Weight with the Staple Singers is just stunningly beautiful, starting off with the drumming singer - or was it the singing drummer? - Levon Helm... I'm just listening to it as I write this. Never fails to send a shiver down my back... :)

I'm in a bit of a country mood right now...

Johnny Duncan -- Thinkin' Of A Rendezvouz

[video=youtube;Q4WbTzuwbwc]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q4WbTzuwbwc[/video]

Johnny Duncan -- Song In The Night

[video=youtube;uBfj6ngDAX8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBfj6ngDAX8&feature=related[/video]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Put Connee Boswell in my iPod. Poor woman. I always feel so bad for her :(
Well then, let her out!!! lol
291860718_be0e456a60_m.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Isham Jones Septendecentennial

images

...or however you say 117th birthday.
Born Jan. 31, 1894, he wrote and performed all these with his great orchestra.

Swingin' Down the Lane, 1923 - tenor sax solo by Isham Jones
I'll See You in My Dreams, 1924 - vocal by Frank Bessinger
Song of the Blues, 1929 - vocal by Frank Sylvano
What's the Use?, 1930 - vocal by Frank Sylvano
I Keep Remembering, 1930 - vocal by Frank Sylvano
Let's Try Again, 1932 - vocal by Bing Crosby
I Can't Believe It's True, 1932 - vocal by Eddie Stone
(There Is) No Greater Love, 1936 - vocal by Woody Herman

Search This Thread for Isham to find many more Jones recordings.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've never heard an Isham Jones record I didn't like. Even if he *did* look like Professor Moriarty, with his great domed cranium that oscillates slowly from side to side.

In honor of the day, it's back to 1930 with the Jones boys and a happy-snappy arrangement of "Sweet Jennie Lee," one of the happy-snappiest songs of that year.

kools

Practically Family
The_Jones_Brothers1.jpg

The Jones Brothers
I had a hard time finding a photo of them; my searches repeatedly gave me pics of 3 scrawny white kids.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I've never heard an Isham Jones record I didn't like. Even if he *did* look like Professor Moriarty, with his great domed cranium that oscillates slowly from side to side.
That's the best description of Isham - and one of the only - since Michael Brooks wrote on an Lp liner about 30 years ago that "he looked like the kind of man who would sell cat meat to an orphanage."
cat-in-pot.jpg

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
I just got the Glenn Miller Complete box set. Has just about every song made by the Orchestra between 1938-1944 14 Volumes it's great.
NICE, and they're all available as MP3s so we can "cherry pick"- Thanks.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Glen...tmm_msc_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1296536034&sr=1-1

Still waiting for The Complete TOMMY DORSEY (on Victor) set, Grrr... got the complete 2-LP set RCA started in the 1970's & abandoned around 1980, after they'd only gotten up to the start of 1939, when he was JUST starting to get Really Great... Too much else going on to "kick up dust" & start a petition or something to try & get The Grand And Powerful SonyBMG to finally once & for all DO it... The complete "Classics" CD series which carries on from that point is OOP & insanely expensive per disc, when you can even FIND them on the net (I only ever got the 1939 one, refuse to pay > $30 for a single CD on principle...)

ah well at least they did do a complete ELLINGTON on Victor "Centennial Edition" set including the alts, some of which even had significantly different arrangements (including "Warm Valley") :D

Dapper Dave

Familiar Face
Nice. I'm a big fan of Benny Goodman but only between 1934-1938 the Krupa years. I got the complete Artie Shaw set as well. I accidentally broke the last of the 10 Cds while moving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters